Who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The back-ended contract is a bonus for any team that wants him and has room in the cap for the next two years to make it possible. Brisbane need the salary cap room, which basically means they need rid of him, and if they need players instead of draft picks, well we've already heard about more than a few candidates.

I don't know exactly where we're at with our salary cap, but if we're pushing the maximum already we've made a hack job of it considering the age of the list. It sounds like Brisbane need rid of him so badly that we can probably give them a pretty average player and still make them pay some of his contract in the process, since most teams who would bid for him may be turned off by the contractual obligations.

How about we give them back Dalziell? :D

It would be a hack job for us not to be using the maximum every single year. Every contract we have right now should be front loaded to bring forward as much as possible and leave us with some room for if we actually get any good.

I think we probably are.

After all, salary cap pressure is what led to Stenglein being held on our list until after the national draft last year so his salary would come under this years cap as opposed to last years.

The issue that year was that we had already paid out most of the cap throughout the year. Most of our contracts were front-ended to make up for the loss of Judd/Cousins/Braun/RoJo/etc. We then had this guy try to be paid out his contract when we had already paid out almost everything we could throughout the year. If we had have known this would happen, we would not have front-ended everyone's contracts.

If we were to sign a player now, we would just adjust some of the contracts either not yet signed or already signed to pay them more later instead of now.

tambling has talent, i'd give up pick 44 for him.

i think he just needs belief.

whats pick 44 anyway?

imagine the shit we'd cop for having a list that contained JON and tambling.

Tambling > Sherman thats for sure. Id look at a straight swap for McKinley. or McKinley + pick 44.

TBH given the changes we are about to have id be disappointed if we didnt make atleast 2 mature aged trades.

Id go after Richard Tambling and a David Myers.

Tambling > Sherman thats for sure. Id look at a straight swap for McKinley. or McKinley + pick 44.

TBH given the changes we are about to have id be disappointed if we didnt make atleast 2 mature aged trades.

Take Myers in the PSD.

I'd also like pick 44.

Please, no Tambling. One of the duds to end all duds. Aren't we trying to get rid of them not bring them in? BTW where do see you see Myers playing? I like the idea of recruiting him a lot more than recruiting Tambling but not sure where he would play, we don't need any more HBF's. :eek:

We might not even have pick 44

We have elevated strijk / wilson +2
trade spangher / mckinley -2
Vet list Glass / Embley -2

If hansen retires -1
We still need to drop 2 of Wilkes, bones, rosa or Lynch
just to get 4 picks
4,26,28,44 and thats without stevenson being upgraded

Would like to use pick 44 on a proven WAFL player such as Sweet, Phillips, Ninyette, Mzungu, Elari or Bewick

Agree with Ninyette. Such a player can help with rotations and be a goal kicker. Something we lack. At his age, he's plug and play. He should provide something other than vanilla to our forward line too. Versatile enough to play as a deep playing FP or a high HF. A fair option if WC don't want to lose too much potency if Lecca is going to take more midfield time.

I'd like to see WC take 4 in the ND. First 3 picks being kids, last pick being a mature aged state league player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please not be a collector of other teams cast offs.

It is not something we have a history of doing and recent attempts include Bedford, Dalziell and JON havn't yet led to a player being a solid best 22.

Whilst I hope Dalziell and JON succeed, we don't need to add players like Myers, Gamble and Tambling to that list.

Heck we still have guys like Nicoski, Lynch etc. on the main list and likely to hang around, who havn't been able to hold down a regular spot. Add to that rookies we need to upgrade in Stevenson and ones we should in Hams.

How many long shots and not quite depth players can we add to one list when we are struggling to find spots for rookies who deserve a game?

It is not something we have a history of doing and recent attempts include Bedford, Dalziell and JON havn't yet led to a player being a solid best 22.

Whilst I hope Dalziell and JON succeed, we don't need to add players like Myers, Gamble and Tambling to that list.

Heck we still have guys like Nicoski, Lynch etc. on the main list and likely to hang around, who havn't been able to hold down a regular spot. Add to that rookies we need to upgrade in Stevenson and ones we should in Hams.

How many long shots and not quite depth players can we add to one list when we are struggling to find spots for rookies who deserve a game?

Spot on :thumbsu:

I wouldnt mind Tambling, but he hasent exactly shown an ability to be a player who lifts a team from the bottom of the ladder. Bit of a front runner mabye?

His best football is deffinately in front of him though and he would be the type of player we could use right now, id prefer him to most of our wingmen. Is he from WA?

I wouldnt mind Tambling, but he hasent exactly shown an ability to be a player who lifts a team from the bottom of the ladder. Bit of a front runner mabye?

His best football is deffinately in front of him though and he would be the type of player we could use right now, id prefer him to most of our wingmen. Is he from WA?
Really?

How about letting our young guys develop.

What is the point of bolstering the list with average stop gaps.

We actually have a solid number of still developing midfielders and I would rather draft for this position, or allow guys like Sheppard, Stevenson, Strijk, Houlihan, Hurn etc. to push up the ground and rotate through the wing.

We have zero need for Tambling.

Agree with Ninyette. Such a player can help with rotations and be a goal kicker. Something we lack. At his age, he's plug and play. He should provide something other than vanilla to our forward line too. Versatile enough to play as a deep playing FP or a high HF. A fair option if WC don't want to lose too much potency if Lecca is going to take more midfield time.

I'd like to see WC take 4 in the ND. First 3 picks being kids, last pick being a mature aged state league player.
Ninyette? I read somewhere he is 23 and is 76 kg. Hasn't really set the world on fire in the WAFL and seems unlikely to be strong enough or big enough for AFL given he is still a splinter at 23. There are better options.

Myers was pick 6 in the 2007 draft. 21 years old, has had soft tissue problems and lack of faith from Knights. 29 possies in round 22 playing last two games. A required player developing at the Bombers.

How he he a cast off?

And to the other poster, why don't you think we have pick 1 in the PSD?

We do?

Would people be fine with Daniel Rich for pick 4?

Will he end up a better player than say, Heppell, Polec, Atley?
I'd take Daniel Rich for pick 4. We have a number of needs, especially in the midfield. I think we have two major needs in the midfield:
1) What I call a midfield architect, leader, general - aka Simon Black, Simon Goodwin, Judd - Shuey looks like this kind of player; this is where I would see Rich fitting in along with his elite foot skills; I see Gaff as this type of player;
2) Speedy, line-breaking outside mids with sharp skills like Stephen Hill, Peter Matera - maybe Polec, Heppell are this type;

TBH I'm not sure which to choose but if Rich was available for pick 4 I'd take him in a flash, no 'wanting to go home' issues either.

I'd take Daniel Rich for pick 4. We have a number of needs, especially in the midfield. I think we have two major needs in the midfield:
1) What I call a midfield architect, leader, general - aka Simon Black, Simon Goodwin, Judd - Shuey looks like this kind of player; this is where I would see Rich fitting in along with his elite foot skills; I see Gaff as this type of player;
2) Speedy, line-breaking outside mids with sharp skills like Stephen Hill, Peter Matera - maybe Polec, Heppell are this type;

TBH I'm not sure which to choose but if Rich was available for pick 4 I'd take him in a flash, no 'wanting to go home' issues either.
You're right there, but not in the way you think. He's said numerous times that he doesn't particularly want to come home, and Brisbane are never going to let him go. Forget about it.

You're right there, but not in the way you think. He's said numerous times that he doesn't particularly want to come home, and Brisbane are never going to let him go. Forget about it.

Well the current situation at the Lions looks pretty grim and not a whole lot of fun IMO.

Cap issues, loyalty issues, coaching / player relationship issues, the Fevola Coaster with it looks like a messy legal battle about to commence.

Doesn't sound like a fun work environment does it?

Black, Power, Brown and Fev with 1-2 years left in them?

Lions will be struggling bottom 4 for the next 2-3 years where the West Coast will be on the climb up the ladder.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back