Who to replace Lynch for Prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

InTheBack!

Team Captain
Oct 20, 2000
BrisVegas
OK so who is to be all you coaches & selectors out there?

I really dont think it will matter who we play, we will flog either Richmond or Carlton.

Do you leave the structure the way it is with a replacement sitting in the goal square & Bradshaw leading out or do you go for something different.

1. Goal square option. Play Keating & McDonald together & rotate Keating/Brown through CHF/FF. Keating is an ideal cantidate for having a breather at FF

or

2. Mobile. Someone like Des Headland could be brought in & perhaps used as a ulility forward.

or

any ideas?

i would think Headland would be thanking his lucky stars for one more chance to prove himself - on the bench?

And you would think Lepper could again go forward if need be with the likes of Mal Michael, Pike, Johnson, Daryl White and the Scotts rock solid in defence.

You could probably include Damien Cupido as a possiblilty as well. I'm not sure how he's been going in the Reserves lately, but he can play tall (as long as he sticks to the game plan)

Originally posted by Calamity
You could probably include Damien Cupido as a possiblilty as well. I'm not sure how he's been going in the Reserves lately, but he can play tall (as long as he sticks to the game plan)

Don't mention Cupido on here. You will get your head bitten off. It's no good mate, only 2 lions supporters on this board want Cupido in the side. We are outnumbered.

Originally posted by Olmy
Either Kennedy or Headland due to their ability to play a meaningful role in the side, as well as their size. I doubt we will go into another final using physically small players, like we did last season against Carlton.

It's an interesting one - had Carlton won yesterday, the Lions would have been faced with having to switch certain key players around from either the HF or HB area and onto the ball to match up on the Blues' versatile midfield and play a variety of roles, whether or not Kouta was able to play. If Carlton had one, I reckon either Headland or Picken, as utility players, would have been called upon to assist in the midfield as well as up forward.

However, seeing as Richmond are a tall side which are reliant on their big marking power up forward, as well as across HB, I reckon either Bolton, who is deciptively tall and can play a number of roles in attack or defence, or Kennedy for his obvious hieght and his experience in finals, to come into the side. For mine, I reckon Bolton would be favoured because of his performances this year, and I think Kennedy might be a little under-done. Still, Max hasn't officially retired yet and should he break into the side, and the Lions make the GF it would be a fitting end to a player who has experienced the extreme highs and lows of AFL football.

I tend to agree with those that say Headland or Kennedy. It is doubtful in my view whether Bolton will get a look in.

Now that the Lions are playing Richmond, who are quite tall, the emphasis should be on playing tall as well.

As Lynch is out, it appears that either Max Kennedy or Des Headland would come in.

The case for Kennedy: Can man up and stick like a glove to one of the Tiger's tall forwards and attempt to reduce their influence. This can release Leppitsch to go up forward, but doubts would remain whether Kennedy would have enough mobility for one of Holland, Richardson or Ottens.

The case for Headland. Can play as a running, mobile, opportunistic, tallish forward. However McRae and Power already play this role, even if not as tall as Headland. However if Headland proves ineffective up forward coming off the bench, is unlikely to play as a defender. If Matthews is forced to use Leppitsch up forward, because Bradshaw and Brown have had little effect, the the defence will be weakened considerably and against the Richmond tall forwards this might be fatal. Copeland and Notting can also fill these roles instead of Headland perhaps.

I'm leaning ever-so-slightly towards Kennedy at the moment.

Yeah, I agree, Kennedy is probably the one to go for. He tends to compensate fairly well, for the gap that is left by losing a player of a similar size, in Lynch.

Kennedy could release Leppitsch, or another tall defender to go forward, as well as do a good job on his direct opponent.

Kennedy has been alright this year, in the seniors, and I reckon, given his chance in a preliminary final, near the end of his career, he would give it his all out best shot.

Similarly, if we were forced to keep the newly included player in the team (due to injury, or similar), after the preliminary final, for the GF (if we win!), I would rather have Kennedy in the squad, due to his experience, which would be a huge factor in such a situation.

Similarly, it would be a magnificent way for Kennedy to conclude his career - by playing in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Headland or Kennedy are the go. I suppose it will depend on their game plan. I think Kennedy would be useful for down back because then it gives us the option to put Leppitsch down forward for a while. I'd love to see Kennedy have just one more game and I think he could live up to what is required of him!

Agree with Olmy.
Would be disgraceful to drop Copeland now.
I believe Matthews will make very few changes to a winning combination and will not drop anyone.
And I agree with whoever said that it did not matter who we were playing reA

Ooooops, wrong button!
......really.
But we must not be overconfident.

It is getting VERY exciting now.
The business end of the finals.

BOLTON !!!!!!!!

You guys must have short memories - he was shocking during the finals last year - really looked out of place. Leave him be.

Copeland is doing ok. Had a bit of the footy against Port in the first half (when no-one else could find it)

My worry is McRae - his form has been lousy. Had Cupido had a big one in the Lions Cubs final yesterday (evidently both he & Headland were ordinary), he could have pressed for a spot.

Other worry is Richmonds talls. With Lynch out it affects our ability to try something different. Then again, after watching the standard of the Rich-Carlton game (wasn't it absolutely terrible!), I reckon the Cubs could beat them!!

Fatty

:confused:

Does it really matter.

Yes Richmond have done well to get here. I didn't think they would though. But away from the mad supporters here in Melbourne they are a different team. With only 1 top defender in Gaspar who will get Brown it stills leaves Bradshaw and other to kick goals.

We'll win but not because of the forward line but the midfield.

After seeing the scragging game on the weekend I am leaning towards Headland as I think mobility will be the key to overcoming a stifling defensive game.

News is that Bradshaw didn't train tonight and might not play on Saturday! If this happens, expect Keating to start in the forward-line and both Headland and Kennedy to make the side!

I would like to see Cupido in the side again. I think he'd cause some problems for the Richmond defenders.

I can't see Bradshaw missing this week's game. Not with Lynch out already.

From what I read, Bradshaw had a slight strain, but should be right for the game. I reckon they'd play him even if he wasn't quite 100%. It'd be too much of a risk not to, under the circumstances.

I am pretty sure Bradshaw will play. They will be working on that strain and if there's problems they'll just give him some injections etc. so that he can't even feel his leg, but he'll know he's still standing! well, they better get him on that ground or I will be pulling my hair out on Saturday night!! I am hoping that Leigh is up to his tricks. Bradshaw does have a sore calf, but it may not be as bad as what we are thinking. I mean, when I saw Matthews talking about it at training tonight, he basically gave nothing away!! He was kind of saying "oh, has he got a sore calf? Oh yeah, he's not even running! ah, he should pull up."

Bradshaw will most likely only kick 2-3 goals even at 100%. What we need is for the small players to get a couple each. AND TO BE ACCURATE. We can't start like last wek's disaster! We need to bury them early, and not stop until the final siren.

The Tigers game was shocking last weekend, and we shouldn't fear them even though they will most likely come out with dirty tactics again (they are turning into the new Footscray!), but with every hour I am getting more nervous. Though, I am always nervous leading up to games. just that this one is SO IMPORTANT!

i think it's unfair to solely blaim bolton for his performance in last years finals, i mean it was obvious that the guy he was on (hamill?) was just a bit to experienced and quick for him. he should of been moved off him earlier. he tried his best, and to tell u the truth, those calling for kennedy to come back, he wouldn't of done any better on hamill. kennedy is a great stallhorse of the club and a great guy, but i don't think he should be brought back this week. i still stand by copeland being dropped, and headland and bolton in. i just don't think copeland is ready for finals footy. not to knock the guy, i think he just falls off tackles a bit to easy. plus, he's got the sort of temper that can really be quite distrupting in those crucial moments. i don't think cupido can come in either. he might upset the dynamics of the team.
cheers
lionsrock 2001

Remove this Banner Ad

Who to replace Lynch for Prelim?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back