Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham
For me it HAS to be Watts. The lad could be anything, he has good athletic qualities to go with his size and we are crying out for a key forward.

Please give a reason for your answer.

Watts, we need a forward desperatley, he make take the longest to develop but its worth it. Half the reason why we handball it 10 times before we kick it is because we have no target up forward.

For me it HAS to be Watts. The lad could be anything, he has good athletic qualities to go with his size and we are crying out for a key forward.

Please give a reason for your answer.

This part of your post (in bold) I find interesting. It almost perfectly describes Naitanui, and I think with the development he has left there is no reason why he couldn't play up forward.

That isn't to say he's the man I'd go with. To be quite honest, I'm still largely undecided on the issue. All of the big 3 fill some type of void Melbourne currently has, and it is a difficult decision as to who the best candidate is.

I'll give it some thought before I post my opinion.

This part of your post (in bold) I find interesting. It almost perfectly describes Naitanui, and I think with the development he has left there is no reason why he couldn't play up forward.

That isn't to say he's the man I'd go with. To be quite honest, I'm still largely undecided on the issue. All of the big 3 fill some type of void Melbourne currently has, and it is a difficult decision as to who the best candidate is.

I'll give it some thought before I post my opinion.

Watts is a footballer though. Naita has immense potential but he's a big risk.

Please be Watts. He looks like a young Riewoldt. We don't need tough midfielders as much as we need a forward, and our ruck division even looks better than our key forward prospects (that is to say that we actually have a ruck division, as opposed to key forwards).
As for Naita, far too much of a risk.

Watts, we need a forward desperatley, he make take the longest to develop but its worth it. Half the reason why we handball it 10 times before we kick it is because we have no target up forward.

That's because all our supposed forwards run up the ground when the ball is in our defensive 50, then once we get the ball they have to run forward.

I'm not sure whether it's Bailey's game plan(God I hope not), Bailey's game plan under the circumstances(which isn't really good enough if it is) or because our forwards just go kick chasing(the worst option).

Anyway, I've been thinking about this a fair bit recently.
I was sold on Watts, however I've been starting to think it wouldn't be so bad to get Rich and if we picked up Nait I wouldn't be unhappy...

Simply put this is a very deep draft with all the kids up until about pick 30-35 being able to make a case for first round selection.

I've had a think and based on where I think the kids are rated I've put together some situations of what I think we should go for, I've also based this on my thoughts that we need to pick up 1/2 KPF, 1/2 midfielders and probably a ruck as well.

Situation #1
1- Watts, we need a KPF, he's touted as the best in this draft.
17-Cornelius, for me he's a mid to late 1st rounder, he's at least the equal of any KPF other than Watts in this draft.
19- Blease, could go anywhere from 5th to 25th, Lightning fast outside mid, reminds me a lot of Danyle Pearce.
35- Jordan Roughead, Cousin of Jared, Ruck/KPF, imo probably the 5th best ruck in the draft, however he has the ability to go forward which is always handy. **this is around the pick I think a ruck should be taken as they are never a known quantity, add to that Meesen probably won't make it and will be delisted next year, the Jury is out on Jake Spencer and Mark Jamar will never get past a 'solid option' we should definitely try to pick up a ruck in this draft**

Situation #2
1- Rich, Absolute class, doesn't have lots of pace but has a decent turn of speed and can break tackles, good clearance player, finds the ball exceptionally well, has the best kick out of any player in this draft and can be expected to be a 20+ goals a year midfielder. If we weren't so lacking in KPF he would be my definite number one.
17- Johnston, KPF, is unlikely to last to this pick, however with Watts being available for another team he might be around, more likelihood of Cornelius being around here but thought I'd just throw up some names.
19- Blease, I am absolutely sold on this kid, added to the fact he has blistering speed and can break lines, his skills are pretty reasonable, especially his ability to kick while going at top speed.
35- Cahill, I view him as around this pick however other clubs such as Carlton or Richmond needing a KPF might take him in the second round, I view this kid as a very very good prospect, with this pick we can afford to take a gamble, this kid get's as many scoring shots as Buddy Franklin does, but his kicking is even worse than Buddies...

Situation #3
1- Naitanui, Frankly he could be anything, including a massive bust, and for someone who goes at pick 1 you want them to be a sure thing, Nait could be anything, but he's not a sure thing to be a great player in my mind.
17- Blease, Did I mention that he will be one of the youngest kids to be taken in this draft? He's a certainty to be picked up, however if he wasn't he would be around next year as well.
19- Cahill, imo probably to early to take him, however we need KPF desperately and chances are he is the best/has the most potential out of any KPF left at this pick.
35- Lynch, some people have him as high as 10th, some people don't have him in their top 40, imo somewhere around 25-35 is about right, Matthew Bate v2.0, they play the same way, they even look similar, having 2 Matthew Bate's running around is not the worst thing in the world, one on a wing/ on ball and one floating across half forward.

Just thought I'd do that, throw up some names and the type of players I think we should take with our picks.

Given that it is a fairly strong draft is all the more reason to snare Watts IMO. The guy is a genuine KPF who has good height and forward nouse as well as good marking ability. From what I can gather, there is a good spread of midfielders but as far as KPFs go Watts is a stand out. In our current situation we would be mad to pass him up. Watts is also a Victorian which gives at least a little bit of comfort. My only question marks as with any player are the medical aspects which I have NFI about. Obviously we don't want to wast a pic on a kid who is injury prone or gets op or any of that stuff so as long as the club has done it's homework on him then he's the one.

My Thoughts:
Pick 1: Jack Watts-- we need a target up forward, miller has had the whole year and been good but if we are making a premiership winning side miller would be the 2nd or third tall.

Pick 17: Lewis Johnson--- He is a goal kicking forward probably can be compared to fev (abit early though to compare) just because the way he leads and has lovely hands, is a genuine full forward. Might not be around though by this pick.

Pick 19: Sam Blease or Mitch Robinson, one of these 2 would add great depth and pace to our midfield.

Pick 35: If we dont get Warnock we probably need a ruckmen and this would be the pick to get one, Maybe Roughead if he is around or the taller Zac Clarke from the charges

Pick 51: Small backmen would be a good idea here i think, someone like James Strauss from Metro/Oakleigh has a lovely kick which was shown when he delivered it lace out to Jack Watts time and time again at the Carnival.

Another person i would love to draft would be Liam Jones, didnt play in the carnival this year because of a minor knee injury, is 195 cm roughly and play chf. Was part of the ais this year and is underage. Probably a late second/third or later pick just on tallent and physical attributes alone but ive heard the saints are in love with him.

My Thoughts:
Pick 1: Jack Watts-- we need a target up forward, miller has had the whole year and been good but if we are making a premiership winning side miller would be the 2nd or third tall.

Pick 17: Lewis Johnson--- He is a goal kicking forward probably can be compared to fev (abit early though to compare) just because the way he leads and has lovely hands, is a genuine full forward. Might not be around though by this pick.

Pick 19: Sam Blease or Mitch Robinson, one of these 2 would add great depth and pace to our midfield.

Pick 35: If we dont get Warnock we probably need a ruckmen and this would be the pick to get one, Maybe Roughead if he is around or the taller Zac Clarke from the charges

Pick 51: Small backmen would be a good idea here i think, someone like James Strauss from Metro/Oakleigh has a lovely kick which was shown when he delivered it lace out to Jack Watts time and time again at the Carnival.

Another person i would love to draft would be Liam Jones, didnt play in the carnival this year because of a minor knee injury, is 195 cm roughly and play chf. Was part of the ais this year and is underage. Probably a late second/third or later pick just on tallent and physical attributes alone but ive heard the saints are in love with him.

I'm not knocking strauss but there should be better players in the same position around at this point, I'd almost take a punt on Hooper, he's only 172cm, but he has nothing else going against him.

It's interesting that a critisism of Melbourne 's drafting over time has been the going for a 'need' rather than the best player.

A lot of people have mentioned, perhaps more earlier in the year, that we simply have to go for the best player.

Yet a lot of posters on here use terms such 'we need a key forward most of all'. I'm not having a go at these people though, I just find it a bit weird.

I suppose this draft is a bit diffcult to choose the best player at the moment because they are all so different and the risks and potential with all 3 vary.

I think Rich is the best player in the draft and Natanui has the potential to be the best player in the game. But after saying all that.... I'd prob go for Watts.

It's interesting that a critisism of Melbourne 's drafting over time has been the going for a 'need' rather than the best player.

A lot of people have mentioned, perhaps more earlier in the year, that we simply have to go for the best player.

Yet a lot of posters on here use terms such 'we need a key forward most of all'. I'm not having a go at these people though, I just find it a bit weird.

I suppose this draft is a bit diffcult to choose the best player at the moment because they are all so different and the risks and potential with all 3 vary.

I think Rich is the best player in the draft and Natanui has the potential to be the best player in the game. But after saying all that.... I'd prob go for Watts.

It's a good point you make, but given the fact that scouts find it so hard to split Rich and Watts, I think it's gotten to the point that you take what you need more. Drafting is an odd science.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Watts all the rage now and Naitanui no longer desired? I watched the both play in the carnival and Watts didnt flick my switch. He is not the potential superstar everyone makes him out to be. Naitanui does that potential superstar in him IMO

Rich is definitely the best player in the draft now and we'd at least have to consider him. Having said that, WA boy, I immediately think of the go-home factor. I dont think we will take him but I wouldnt at all be unhappy if we did.

So, I actually hope we take Naitanui. I dont what this Watts hype is all about.

Why is Watts all the rage now and Naitanui no longer desired? I watched the both play in the carnival and Watts didnt flick my switch. He is not the potential superstar everyone makes him out to be. Naitanui does that potential superstar in him IMO

Rich is definitely the best player in the draft now and we'd at least have to consider him. Having said that, WA boy, I immediately think of the go-home factor. I dont think we will take him but I wouldnt at all be unhappy if we did.

Naitinui is a WA boy as well. You can't draft or not draft based upon the 'go home factor' it is a recipe for disaster. There are plenty of WA boys in our lineup who would make Danny Rich or Naita feel welcome. They wouldn't nominate for the draft if they didn't know there was a chance they would be headed interstate.

:confused:

Watts won the Larke medal.

Why is Watts all the rage now and Naitanui no longer desired?
Not all of us were crazy about Nicnat - some of us were. I think much of that stemmed from the excitement of getting the #1 pick (throughout the year) and people just assumed Nicnat was the one without knowing too much because "Naitanui" was a buzz word being tossed around. I think people have started giving the pick a bit more thought in the last couple of months.

For those who were on the Nicnat train and then moved to Watts I would suggest perhaps the fact that our forward line went to complete shit over the season may have been a factor.

It isn't an easy decision because the Warnock factor will hinge greatly on this one but I would prefer Warnock and Watts to Nicnat and another option (given our 17 and 19 picks). Fair enough Naitanui may have flair and put bums on seats but a good genuine forward option will help the team perform better and that also has the potential to put more bums on seats. I haven't seen Watts play first hand but if he gets the thumbs up from our recruiters then I'm happy. I can't remember the last time a KPF was in the mix for a #1 pick (only Riewoldt stands out) so Watts must be doing something right.

I voted for Watts... but personally i hope he pulls his finger out and actually wants to be a footballer. Atm he has everything handed to him on a plate and i haven't seen an motivation for him to get somewhere.

When will we find out if he Nominated?

Does anyone have any word or sources to say if he is?

Draft nominations don't close until 12th of November, so he's got plenty of time yet. I have a feeling he'll nominate around the time of the draft camp, which ends in early October.

The thinking is that he will nominate this year because if he doesn't there's every chance that the bottom clubs next year will be interstate clubs(& us), so with Melbourne having pick one this year he has the best chance of staying in melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who to take with no.1?

Back