• Naita

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rich

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not really our current recruiting team's track record.

We've got a new coach, a new Football manager and a new recruiting manager. They've had one draft so far, with limited time to prepare for it, and their early selections look the goods so far.

So this year is their first full year with months of preparation going into the draft. So based on last year i've got a reasonably strong faith in them.

This is true, but the recruiting team down there surely consists of more than three people.

In any case, if we were to look at last year, the first three picks look to be pretty strong and we'll have to wait and see about the others. I has happy with the outcome from last year.

The Buddy/Nait comparison is not a fair one, but the fact there was an element of risk present in each decision facilitates such a comparison. Obviously Nait is a greater risk given his limited knowledge playing the game, but I wouldn't discount him based on that. From what I've seen, he seems willing to do the hard things that people don't notice. He also seems as if he wants to learn and will put in the effort. I think that seperates him from other talented/athletic prospects, he does the hard things as well as the freakish things, and his application to the task seems to be good.

Having said that, he is still a risk, and recruiters have do decide whether it is one worth taking.

We've got a new coach, a new Football manager and a new recruiting manager. They've had one draft so far, with limited time to prepare for it, and their early selections look the goods so far.

So this year is their first full year with months of preparation going into the draft. So based on last year i've got a reasonably strong faith in them.

Craig Cameron was our recruiting manager for last years draft, i don't think Barry Prendergast had anything to do with our selections but i could be wrong.

Craig Cameron was our recruiting manager for last years draft, i don't think Barry Prendergast had anything to do with our selections but i could be wrong.

You are correct, he stayed and completed the draft with melbourne before leaving. But how many of his off siders stayed i do not know.

As people are saying MFC have done a great job with our later pick 20+ but have struggled to deliver on our first round picks.

This is true, but the recruiting team down there surely consists of more than three people.

In any case, if we were to look at last year, the first three picks look to be pretty strong and we'll have to wait and see about the others. I has happy with the outcome from last year.
I'm sure there is more then 3 people, but the main voices heard would be those 3 blokes. More to the point, any recruiting done prior to last year didn't have much to do with these 3 key figures and this year they've had a greater amount of time to prepare for the draft

Cameron was our recruiting/list manager up until last year, but wouldn't have done the scouting alone. Prendergast was at melbourne prior to this year, he was listed as an assistant coach (Innovations coach i think) and i believe he would've had some involvement in the drafting process.

The real question that needs to be asked here is, will you be disappointed with any of Rich, Watts or Naitanui? All this useless squabbling amounts to nothing when we all come to the realisation that they all have the potential t be great players for our club.

I'm happy for any one of these guys to be at the MFC next year, all this talk of 'Naita has risk', so does Watts, so does Rich. Who cares? Have faith that the right choice will be made to ensure the future success of our club by the people in power right now.

For the record, my orignal opinion was to go for Watts, but I'm leaning more towards Naita now. If only Luke Molan had produced, Watts wouldn't even rate a mention.:D

I'm terrified of that evil, evil 'go home factor'

This is just stupid. This is not solely aimed at you but everyone who is worried about players going home. Melbourne supporters seemed to think that we were wronged like no ever has been before when Scott Thompson left.

Umm, Chris Judd anyone? But did that stop WC using a first round draft pick on an interstate kid? Hell no it didn't, they took Ebert at pick 13 who is from SA with very strong family ties to a SANFL club. He was the best available at their pick and looks like a gun.

Everyone needs to get the f_ck over it! Yes we lost a promising young player, but he wasn't great then and we were quite fairly compensated with pick 12. You don't still hear Brisbane whining over the loss of Buckley. Lots of better players than Thompson (at the time) have left clubs, it's a shame but it happens.

For every Thompson or Judd, there are a lot more great players who stay away from their home state to the club they were drafted to, Pavlich, Brown, Cooney, Riewoldt, Franklin. Players staying is the more common occurance

Unless they can identify that the kid is some sort of mumma's boy before the draft, maybe there's some sort of test they can add to the draft camp program, then where the kid is from has very little bearing on whether or not the club picks them.

If anyone is concerned about Naitanui or Rich going home, do they regret that melbourne took Morton last year?

The real question that needs to be asked here is, will you be disappointed with any of Rich, Watts or Naitanui? All this useless squabbling amounts to nothing when we all come to the realisation that they all have the potential t be great players for our club.

I'm happy for any one of these guys to be at the MFC next year, all this talk of 'Naita has risk', so does Watts, so does Rich. Who cares? Have faith that the right choice will be made to ensure the future success of our club by the people in power right now.

For the record, my orignal opinion was to go for Watts, but I'm leaning more towards Naita now. If only Luke Molan had produced, Watts wouldn't even rate a mention.:D

I will not be dissapointed at getting any of the 3, but I will be happier if we get one of two options I prefer.

Faith is an interesting term. I would say I have hope that the club will make the right selection, rather than faith.

It really needs to be Watts. We have no big bodied key forwards of any standing within the league or potential star forwards either for that matter!
Earlier this year I was hoping for us to land Naitaniu, but with all the so called expert U/18 judges saying he has real issues with reading the game and getting his hand on it around the ground - I think that is a real issue for us, as we can't afford to stuff up with this pick. On the flip side is that he has enormous potential, but all Melbourne supporters have heard that word potential to many times in the past, so I don't think we can take that gamble.
Rich by all reports would be a ready made player come round one next year. While short term he would be the clear stand out, I don't think our current midfield is in as much trouble as our current forward line. We already have some quality young midfielders but no quality big key forwards.

For those reasons, it has to be Watts, followed by Rich & Naitaniu.
Now lets all just cross our fingers that in two or three years time we have got this pick right and not stuffed up yet again & hopefully we will have someone to kick those match winning goals - ala Franklin, Riewoldt, Roughead etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this sounds wrong and ppl wont like it..

But an ideal outcome would be getting Warnock for next to nothing..

Telling Watts not to nominate, then pick up Rich..

End up last next yr with next to no wins..

Pick up Watts and Butcher - or Scully..

Set ourselves up for a dynasty and decrease our chances of ever folding.

As of 2011, there will be a push for a Melbourne club to merge or fold, this is as expected, as our state already have a lot of clubs - some of which, will struggle to keep up to the power clubs, the gap will get too big..

At least if we have potentially the best list in the league, then we look towards taking out a lot of flags in between 2011 and 2020..

This draft is the most important in the history of the MFC..

Buddy Franklin is exactly the reason MFC have to pivk up Nicholas Naitanui!

There is the slight detail of Buddy being a forward and Naitanui being a ruckman. The only thing they have in common is their athleticism and that's about where it ends.

If Naitanui becomes a star it will not be in the shape of Franklin, he'll revolutionise the role of a ruckman, he'll be unbeatable in the ruck combined with the midfield dominance of Goodes at full flight, not as a Forward.

So comparisons to Buddy are not going to be particularly relevant

You'd think so, unless we have forward ideas for Naita.

That makes zero sense. The answer to his question was yes (which you did say), we are more likely to take Naitanui if we don't get Warnock.

But if we have forward ideas for Naitanui and we lose Warnock then we are less likely to take him then before because we'll want a ruckman. Not sure what you were getting at

There is the slight detail of Buddy being a forward and Naitanui being a ruckman. The only thing they have in common is their athleticism and that's about where it ends.

If Naitanui becomes a star it will not be in the shape of Franklin, he'll revolutionise the role of a ruckman, he'll be unbeatable in the ruck combined with the midfield dominance of Goodes at full flight, not as a Forward.

So comparisons to Buddy are not going to be particularly relevant

I think that's what he was getting at. The freakish potential and athletic ability of Nait has never been seen before, and you can draw some parallels with Franklin in that regard. It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of playing style.

They won't play the same role, unless Nait can undergo a serious makeover, but you can see what he was saying. Players like Nait don't come around too often, its rare to find someone so naturally gifted, whereas players like Rich and Watts come around more often.

That's how I interpreted it anyway :thumbsu:

I think that's what he was getting at. The freakish potential and athletic ability of Nait has never been seen before, and you can draw some parallels with Franklin in that regard. It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of playing style.

They won't play the same role, unless Nait can undergo a serious makeover, but you can see what he was saying. Players like Nait don't come around too often, its rare to find someone so naturally gifted, whereas players like Rich and Watts come around more often.

That's how I interpreted it anyway :thumbsu:

It's a big decision to make, but I would prefer to be a little conservative then pick Naitaniu on his potential & hope that he turns out to be a star. Give me Watts. By all reports he is in the same mould as Nick Riewoldt & that would be more than god enough for me.

Franklin is a very rare talent. The last person I can think of that had huge potential in the same mould as Naitaniu was Jared Brennan. He was a very early draft pick and look how he has turned out. He usually plays one absolute blinder every year and doesn't do much else for the remaining 21 games of the season. To much of a risk for mine. Give me Watts!

heard today contact very involved with Sandy Dragons Melbourne will either take Watts or Vickery with Number one pick. If Melbourne didnt take Vickery essendon will get him pick 5. WA boys staying in WA and Hartlett to Port.

I asked him which he would prefer between Watts and Vickery he said it doesnt matter!

I hope we take Watts, we need a pure forward, not a ruckmen forward.

heard today contact very involved with Sandy Dragons Melbourne will either take Watts or Vickery with Number one pick. If Melbourne didnt take Vickery essendon will get him pick 5. WA boys staying in WA and Hartlett to Port.

I asked him which he would prefer between Watts and Vickery he said it doesnt matter!

I hope we take Watts, we need a pure forward, not a ruckmen forward.
Thats a massive
thats a massive dissapointment big time

SCREW WARNOCK, Here comes the Nicholas Naitanui!

0,,6015288,00.jpg

I think 3 years is reasonable. I still think in three years time a marking, goal kicking CHF is more valuable than a ruckman, but as I said I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I'm still waiting for you to show me where these records are that NN is SMASHING? Please send me some directions so I can find......

Anyway, it seems a moot point. 84% of respondends to the original poll would rather have someone other than NN.

NN is expected to break the running vertical jump record. They were unable to test him properly earlier this year because the equipment did not have enough extension on it.

He qualified for the high jump for Fiji with a leap of 2m as well.

K Sheehan said he is the quickest tall they have ever tested last year at the AIS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who to take with no.1?

Back