Who was our best player ever besides Matthews?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering when this thread would pop up.

M - Matthews
H - Hudson (Peter of course though Paul wasn't bad)
D - Dunstall
K - Knights
A - Ayers

These are the unquestioned (well in my opinion) elite Hawks of the last 40 years.

Peter Knights has been severly underrated in this thread. Imagine if Knights was our CHB today. Remember the 76 Brownlow and he missed seven games after breaking a collarbone. Geez, he was awesome, anyway ...

1) Leigh Mathews
2) Peter Knights
3) Dermot Brereton
4) Jason Dunstall
5) Peter Hudson

Tucky, a bit stiff but he can find solice that near misses are his speciality. Seven times runners up in the Hawthorn Best and Fairest being the precedent.

kolchak said:
He was great, tough to pick a top 5 though, I cant beleive Tuck has hardly been mentioned, besides Matthews, Tuck would surely be the next best :confused:

Ayers, Langford, Dunstall, Hudson, Knights, Crawford...All tough players, all had/have skill....
:thumbsu: totally agree matthews is 1st. tuck at 2 (426 games,11 grand finals,39 finals.7 premierships) cant be argued with.this club started to fall apart after tuck was pushed out. it was the beginining of the big decline that is only now starting to be repaired.

at 3 is crimmo....the heart and soul of the hawthorn football club. both on and off the field.it was people like crimmo that helped buid the culture and attitude that propelled us thru the greatest era of this club and possibly the greatest era seen by any club in vfl/afl history.

Moderators comment: The subject matter of this thread is a very good one but some of the posters have become abusive. If you disagree with the opinion of any one poster please reply in a civil tone and pay respect to him or her as a fellow Hawks supporter. Continued abuse will cause the thread to be locked. To delete it would be unfortunate ... as I said the subject matter is great. The abuse contained in some posts is appalling and will not be tolerated.

In anticipation, Gary.

siddley said:
:thumbsu: totally agree matthews is 1st. tuck at 2 (426 games,11 grand finals,39 finals.7 premierships) cant be argued with.this club started to fall apart after tuck was pushed out. it was the beginining of the big decline that is only now starting to be repaired.

at 3 is crimmo....the heart and soul of the hawthorn football club. both on and off the field.it was people like crimmo that helped buid the culture and attitude that propelled us thru the greatest era of this club and possibly the greatest era seen by any club in vfl/afl history.

Matthews, Tuck, Brereton, Crimmins & (Knights/Ayres/Dunstall/Hudson)

Platten, Crawford, Dipper, Langford. would fight it out for top ten...

This is an impossible task as we have had so many REALLY GREAT players. For starters you will always get the debate over who was the club's greatest full forward, Peter Hudson or Jason Dunstall, well I saw nearly every game they both played and I can't seperate them. They were totally different. Many games I recall being asked by opposition supporters. "How many has Hudson got." They would hardly believe you when you told them five/six or what ever his tally was. I also loved the leading and solid grabs of JD on the open spaces of Waverley, and the magnificant goals from outside fifty.
One wonders how many goals these two would kick nowadays with the amount of frees forwards get with the holding rule. I saw both these great players kick bags of goals, and on several occasions over the dozen

I could go on, was Platten as good as, or better than Crimmo? I saw them both and again I can't say.

Hawthorn would never have won their first premiership without Graham Arthur, but on the other hand without Derm, Geelong would have beaten us in '89. You could debate this for hours and there would always be another great someone would raise.

Ayres, Langers, Tuck, Moore, and in years to come we hope Hpdge, Franklin and other current players will have done enough for our club to be talked about with all our past great platers.

So, as far as naming the five best in my mind it's impossible.

mark73 said:
You are a complete moron.I edited it to add my opinions of best payers.
Most people who know anything about Hawthorn would have added him long before names like Platten and Paul Hudson.

I think either Phils a wannabe Hawk fan, or a newbie Hawk fan.

Who Paul Hudson? Did we forget the old man.There, I took it easy on you.

You really are stupid.Crimmins would eat a receiver like Platten for breakfast.He didn't win a brownlow, but he was ALL OVER Platten as a footballer.

Would you even have an opinion?

By your reasoning and logic, it may be better if you didn't.

i agree about paul he was dixon average, whereas peter was one of the all time greats.......

and platten a receiver, you're showing your ignorance in that statement, watch a few 1980's/90's hawks games.........

So many greats and so few spots. I'll have a crack at the top dozen

1. Matthews. Best Ever
2.Dunstall. My personal fav. Goal King.
3. Arthur. 1st Premiership captain. Tough.
4. Hudson. Hawthorn have been blessed with great forwards.
5. Tuck. Has the most outstanding record in the game. a draw full of medals
6. Knights. Great player. Best mark of the ball ever??
7. Ayres. Mr norm smith. Always done the job.
8. Brereton. 1989. Also could turn any game on it's head.
9. Dipper. Great Great player
10. Crawford. Was born 10 years to late. What a champion. took fitness to a new level.
11. Platten. Like Dipper played his guts out every week.
12. Crimmins. Super player who everyone holds in such high regard at HFC.

The following blokes could have gone in as well.

Langford, Buckenara, Scott, Law, Mew, Moore, Peck.

No doubt i have forgotten a few but this is just off the top of the head.

Davo-27 said:
i agree about paul he was dixon average, whereas peter was one of the all time greats.......

and platten a receiver, you're showing your ignorance in that statement, watch a few 1980's/90's hawks games.........

Emotional stuff this, especially by posters who either don't support the Hawks or haven't even seen most of these guys play.

I cannot comment for example on Graham Arthur because I only have vague memories of him but as far as everyone else mentioned I have very strong memories.

As a kid Crimmo and Huddo were my heros (and still are), I idolised both of them. There is no doubt Crimmo is one of the greatest Hawks but not one of the top 5 best players.

It is interesting that the Hawthorn Team of the Century has Matthews as rover and Platten in the pocket.

Crimmins is not in the team.

amos said:
1) Leigh Mathews
2) Peter Knights
3) Dermot Brereton
4) Jason Dunstall
5) Peter Hudson

Imagine what these players would be worth in today's market. We wouldn't be able to fit them under the salary cap.

Peter Hudson is the reason I support the Hawks, he was my boyhood hero. Whereas I don't rate him the best ever Hawk, he was damned close IMHO. If I was forced to choose a top 5, the above list would be it. All five players were deadset freaks of footy.

I've always made myself unpopular with younger footy fans when I say this ... but the 1980s Hawks team was the best I've ever seen and they would belt any team going around today.

Geez there are some surprising picks in there as Top 5 players.

Crimmo was a very good player but not elite. He more than any other player typifies the values of the Hawthorn Footy club, he was courageous, honest, determined and devoted:-much like Kennedy's commandoes, but in all honesty he wasn't as skilled as Platten, Buckenara, Pritchard or Jarman. By all means he is an icon of the footy club but to say he was in the 5 best players is a stretch in my opinion. I'm not sure Crimmins even got into the TOC did he?

I loved Dermie and his best was as good as any CHF bar Carey, but in truth he wasn't as consistant as he could have been. He could also be taken out of a game by a relatively average player (Peter Foster springs to mind).

1. Matthews.
2. Peter Hudson-A genuine freak. He looked like he had an average game yet you would look at the footy record and see 8 lines through the goals kicked section. Amazing.
3. J. Dunstall-The ultimate professional.
4. Kel Moore. (IMHO the best full back I've seen bar for Dench, both were better than SOS)
5. Brendan Edwards. (Revolutionised football preperation in the way the Farmer revolutionised handball.)

Apologies to modern greats like Jarman and Crawford:-both superstars in my book but not revolutionary.

Kudos to One Eyed Hawk for mentioning G. Arthur, an underated player by many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mtuckhaw.jpg

#17 "The Greatest" Michael Tuck

Davo-27 said:

Platten was a receiver... he recived a belting every time he put his head down and burrowed into a pack a fought the ball of the opposition and then after delivering it he received gut wrenching pain when he put his head down and ran to the next contest to do it all again.......calling platten a receiver is like callign Scooty West a receiver..................the kid has probaly never seem Plats play.

lethalselbow said:
Hmm... Will have a stab with...

1. Hudson - Pure Class
2. Knights - Play forward & back. A Star
3. Ayres - Mr Dependable
4. Tuck - Resillience
5. Dunstall - Goals, goals, goals
where does matthews fit in????

Unless you havent heard of his brilliance, which im suspecting. He is 100% in the top 5 Hawks players IMO as i have seen from stats and most likely, IMO, the best hawks player ever! You can't put gary ayres infront of Leigh Matthews, it just isntn right!

deano the hawka said:
where does matthews fit in????

Unless you havent heard of his brilliance, which im suspecting. He is 100% in the top 5 Hawks players IMO as i have seen from stats and most likely, IMO, the best hawks player ever! You can't put gary ayres infront of Leigh Matthews, it just isntn right!

Well the thread does say best players besides Matthews, so I guess he may have interepted it correctly, unlike the rest of us.

................................................................hi :confused:

1. Leigh Matthews - regularly "walked" around 4 opposition players while gaining 50 metres. Then he'd kick it, and often the kick would be worth six points.

2. Peter Hudson - no other footballer could regularly beat two opponents, and yes, they really did put two blokes on him. It was not unusual to see Hudson "alone" in Hawthorn's goal square with two opposition players minding him, and no other Hawk within 50 metres. Even when he had two opponents assigned to stop him - think about it, two genuine opponents - he would still kick goals.
3. Jason Dunstall - they used to leave the second bloke further off Dunstall than they left him off Hudson.

4. Peter Knights - sublime

5. Luke Hodge - though he has to keep this spot for a lot of years before he owns it
6. John Platten

I had a thought... Who would you pick if you had to play 22 of the same bloke as your team? I'd love to see 22 Leigh Matthewses vs. 22 Peter Knightses. That would be a fair afternoon's entertainment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was our best player ever besides Matthews?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back