Who were you most sad to see leave Collingwood over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy Clement & Paul Medhurst.

Both definitely had more in the tank.

Funnily, I don't feel that about Leon. I just don't think we'd get another top notch season out of him and he'd end up sullying his name, with most calling for his head.

Paul Williams is the one who sticks out for me. Started following the footy in the early 90s and he was one of my early faves.

Very sad when Daicos left and Micky Mcguane was another.

Losing a great player and entertainer like Leon won't sink in until we start playing next year. Hopefully Dids will regain his fitness and magic, as guys like these are why you watch the footy in the first place.

Seeing Damian Monkhorst, Andrew Schauble, Mal Michael, Sav Rocca, Paul Williams go were all hard to watch. All among my favourites at the time. And what a core group that was to lose!

Nick Davis was one I wasn't at all happy to lose.

James Clement's retirement. Didn't see it coming. Was disappointing because he had so much footy left in him.

Marty Clarke when he went home hurt. Was a favourite of mine. Fantastic to have him back.

Jye Bolton just now is one I'm disappointed to see go. Has had a sensational season and would have to be among the most unlucky 1st year rookies ever to be delisted.

James Clement for sure, his ability to shut down his opponent and rebound with his kicking skills was amazing, probably had one of the best football brains i've seen. Was the premier mid-sized defender from in the comp from 04-07, how he didnt make all-aus in 06 continues to baffle me. dominant throughout the 07 final series, i have no doubt that he had at least 3 years left in him and would have captained the club after buckley. however family comes first so he shouldnt regret walking away early

James Clement for sure, his ability to shut down his opponent and rebound with his kicking skills was amazing, probably had one of the best football brains i've seen. Was the premier mid-sized defender from in the comp from 04-07, how he didnt make all-aus in 06 continues to baffle me. dominant throughout the 07 final series, i have no doubt that he had at least 3 years left in him and would have captained the club after buckley. however family comes first so he shouldnt regret walking away early

The guy was a freak, probably the best Collingwood defender i've seen.

Just Thought the 3 Young ones had Potential and Woey was hardly done by

Mate, Woey was ok, but he loafed with us most of the time, he had the odd good game but the guy didn't have a defensive bone in his body, token chases is all we got, he was Slowwww too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarrant... But he came back. I cried though.

Medhursr. I'm sure if mm had let him have some time in the ones he would have played back into form one game chances weren't enough.

Clement was just a shock... So left of field.

Presti - **** he deserved that medal.

Tarko- just loved him.

Rup- I was fair young but he just disappeared! Why was he delisted?

Rocca, bucks, burns - no surprises but it still hurt

I thought Clement left too early. I was dissapointed we delisted Sav and got nothing for him. I was pretty p'd off when Peter Moore walked out - made worse by his part in the axing of Hafey if you believe the stories.

In a way I was sad to see Jaxon Barham leave but only because he had his old man's mo and his old man was one of my all time favorites. Not sure I've gotten over Daicos' retirement yet. IMO he was the best of the Pies I saw play. I still have nightmares about Billy Picken in a Sydney jumper and McKenna in a Carlton jumper was surely just a b-grade movie - that didn't really happen!

Re: Who were you most sad to see leave over the years?

Rupert and Glenn Freeborn were Malthouse scapegoats, I was ****ing filthy when Rupe got shafted. I had also just put his number on my jumper. His numbers are my photo copy code at work.

I was driving listening to SEN when they said Clement had retired. Genuinely almost cried.

Nice sliding doors though, move from #10 Rupert to Pendlebury. I'd take that trade any day of the week.

On Betheras, just checked out his Wikipedia page, and Hoggy I think this quote is for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Betheras

He was delisted at the end of the season and the Collingwood fans are still unhappy with his delisting, as he was a fan favourite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Betheras

Freaking heck still unhappy 8 years and a flag later, some Magpie fans never heal!

:D

Craig Starcevich.
Was my favourite during the early 90s. Had his number and even got his signature at a primary school fair.
To be fair, it didn't take long to get over it tho when I saw his replacement play :p

I forgot about Sav Rocca. I was fairly surprised when we delisted him and then picked up guys like Cummings and Molloy (was more mobile but he wasn't the best recruit up forward). Sav would have stayed and could have played one out in the goal square all year. Anyway, not to be.

Mate, Woey was ok, but he loafed with us most of the time, he had the odd good game but the guy didn't have a defensive bone in his body, token chases is all we got, he was Slowwww too.

He lost me when he gave the MCC Members the bird after kicking a goal in the 2003 GF. it was at that moment I realized he was playing for himself.

Rocca, the smaller, aka, Pebbles.
Totally apart from his on field talents, had a goofy aura which added to the side and the club.

On Leon, I wish him the very best and thank him for more than a decade of out of the box brilliance.

His failure to perform to his best in GF's hardly sees him on his own amongst VFL/AFL greats let alone Collingwood servants.
His entire career shouldn't be defined by a few failures nor should the draw of family, friends and home be underestimated.

Many will cling to their negative opinions, but in the end Neon played with the greatest club, at the highest level for more than a decade, which is a fantastic achievement.

That is all I will remember.:thumbsu:

MOST SAD ?

2 names mentioned stand out for me. they both had so many years to go.

ray shaw - captain, heart & soul of the club, quits after some disagreement with the club but still had so much to give. i saw him play a lot of preston games in the following years.

darren millane - for all the antics & stories, absolutely loved watching the man play. as tough as they come. his collision with worsfold in the leadup to daics goal in that 90 QF is huge, considering the standing both had at the time. his loss didnt really hit me til we lost the 92 EF to the saints. we needed him that day.

Big Sav was my favourite player along with Bucks through the 90's, he was the saddest loss for me personally. I watched as many North games as I could while he was there hoping he'd lkick a bag. Didnt go too bad there either.

A few weird ones for me.

First of all, I was born in 1990 and have lived in QLD my whole life. So I really only have memories of the last decade maybe a touch more.

Monky and Rowdy were the earliest disappointments for me. Really loved those guys when I was young.

Shattered that Leon is gone now and was shattered when Bucks and Clement left.

Here's where it gets interesting though:

Jaxson Barham - I was named after his old man, the race horse. However I never got to see him play, only saw the very occasional highlight too. For me, it was more the tale's my old man could tell me about him - you know, streaming up the wing etc. So when Jaxson was getting a game I thought, "you beauty! He'll turn out just like his father and I'll know what Ricky was all about!" and it went well at first, picked up 22 possies against the Brions and scored a Rising Star nomination for it. All was looking good until they came to the realisation that he couldn't kick and he might not have been as in love with footy as he was with surfing. :(

Sean Yoshiura - Yeah I know, it's in the Collingwood thread. But I went to school with this guy and he was a great guy. Driven at everything he did and was super smart too. Captain of our school (the oldest and one of the biggest and most prestigious schools in QLD). He was top 50 in the world for junior long distance running - number 1 or 2 in Australia. He had to make a choice - footy, running, or studies. He chose the one he loved most, footy. Gave it his all and came up short in the end. Was devastated for him and when I got a chance to talk to him he told me he wasn't done yet. He was going to keep working and get back out there. This years drafts may be his last chance. Damn I hope he makes it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who were you most sad to see leave Collingwood over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back