Who will be better - Ben or Max King ?

Ben King or Max King ?.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps a better question is will either become an A Grade forward or not?
Perhaps that is harsh, or reflects their bodies shapes aren't quite ideal for AFL.
What's your criteria for being an A grade forward? Ben King is currently 3rd in the Coleman Medal and only two goals behind leader Charlie Curnow. I'd imagine if he keeps that pace then he's going to be in line for AA selection and may potentially even win the Coleman. Would that make him an A grade forward?

What's your criteria for being an A grade forward? Ben King is currently 3rd in the Coleman Medal and only two goals behind leader Charlie Curnow. I'd imagine if he keeps that pace then he's going to be in line for AA selection and may potentially even win the Coleman. Would that make him an A grade forward?
Apologies to Ben then.
I am thinking a goal average of 2+ over say the best 8 years of his career.
I feel a bit sorry for the King's in terms of their bodies being a bit injury prone, compared to say
Shorter slightly and/ or stockier players like
Cameron, Hawkins , J and N Reiwoldt, Jono Brown, Kennedy , Franklin.
Those guys had some injuries, but less than the King's.

5 against Richmond, 4 against Hawthorn. Only faced 2 teams in the top 8 so its been a pretty easy draw so far.

Lets see where he is later in the year.

Apologies to Ben then.
I am thinking a goal average of 2+ over say the best 8 years of his career.
I feel a bit sorry for the King's in terms of their bodies being a bit injury prone, compared to say
Shorter slightly and/ or stockier players like
Cameron, Hawkins , J and N Reiwoldt, Jono Brown, Kennedy , Franklin.
Those guys had some injuries, but less than the King's.
They're both close to 2 goals a game at the moment so if they can increase that over the next few years then they should fulfil your criteria. I feel worse for Max because he's in the fishbowl down in Melbourne and every performance he has that isn't strong is always heavily criticised, whereas Ben comes away from poor performances relatively unscathed in Queensland.

Ben also has better supporting cast than Max does, both now and going forward. Literally pick 2 Lukosius who is the same age as him and an 18 year old big bodied pick 3 Walter backing him up. Mitch Owens and Tim Membrey pale in comparison. It just seems like it's going to be a hard slog for Max at the Saints, but that's not to say he can't improve from here.

5 against Richmond, 4 against Hawthorn. Only faced 2 teams in the top 8 so its been a pretty easy draw so far.

Let's see how he goes against Geelong tonight. Stewart, De Koning and Kolodjashnij will make you earn your goals.

Let's see how he goes against Geelong tonight. Stewart, De Koning and Kolodjashnij will make you earn your goals.
4 goals against the Cats tonight and is currently leading the Coleman by 2 goals. I know Geelong were missing a few tonight but it's hard to argue Ben King hasn't had a good season to date. Looks a genuine shot at winning the Coleman.

4 goals against the Cats tonight and is currently leading the Coleman by 2 goals. I know Geelong were missing a few tonight but it's hard to argue Ben King hasn't had a good season to date. Looks a genuine shot at winning the Coleman.

He had done very little until late in the 3rd. Was easily the poorest out of the main forwards.

Sam Day kicked 3. That is how easy it was for GCS to kick a bundle of goals.

Carlton away next week is the big challenge for GCS.

He had done very little until late in the 3rd. Was easily the poorest out of the main forwards.

Sam Day kicked 3. That is how easy it was for GCS to kick a bundle of goals.

Carlton away next week is the big challenge for GCS.
An old school shootout between Curnow and King who are joint at the top of the Coleman tally right now. Let's see what happens.

I think Max will be better by virtue of better coaching / development
I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking this way back in 2020, but it's really a mark of how far the Suns coaching has come, that Ben has been noticeably better in 2024 and at accuracy in general. Still time left for both of them to hit their peak though.

Back