Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am tipping the next 4 weeks will sort it out, I think the Hawks play 3 top 5 sides in a row coming up? I think we’ll see the gap between 3rd and 13th a little bit wider after that.

Close, we play fifth (Cats in Geelong), third (Freo in tassie), and sixth (Pies at G) in a row. Apart from the first quarter against cats we were competitive, and the margin reflected the 7 goals to 1 first quarter. Pies we were very close to beating, and had a late shot on goal that could have had us winning had it gone through. Freo just had a huge win at the SCG, but generally they've gone quite poorly this year when playing at other team's home grounds, only beating bottom 4 teams at their opponent's home ground, teams can struggle against us at UTAS, although we haven't played them down there since 2021 (10 goal win to us). While we'll go into all three of those games as underdogs, given our improvements since we played pies and cats, and playing at our second home against Freo, we could end up getting at least one win out of that.

Frep have 5 of their last 8 at home and only 1 of their away games is against a top 8 side (Bombers), so I think you're right, the gap between Freo and the majority of teams below them (include us) will widen. However teams outside the eight will not be hoping to pass Freo (although it could happen). They'll be gunning for your spot in the 8. You play 4 of the top 8, and given you haven't beaten any of the current top 8, you'd be unlikely to go in favourites against many of those on current form. Two of the other four are against teams also hoping to make the 8 (Demons, Giants), with the remaining games against Saints and Crows, which are the only two I'd be semi-confident about. On the plus side you only travel out of Melbourne once, evening up the odds against teams like Freo.

I wouldn't bet on the gap widening between Hawks and Essendon as the season heads towards its conclusion. You may get a little further in front over the next 3 weeks, but given we play only one top 8 side in our final 5 weeks, we could easily reel you back in if we can maintain our current form. Young teams often fade towards the end of the season though, so I think it is more likely that one of the more seasoned teams like Bulldogs will take your spot in the 8 if you tumble out (and your 7 home games give you a chance of holding your spot, although probably not top 4 I think).

Of course if we can make finals, a Hawks vs Bombers final would be amazing. Has been a while hasn't it? I think you've actually won a final since you last played us in one, which shows how long it has been! While it has been fun watching you lose all those finals over the years, actually losing one by our hand would be extra special. Might have to wait a season or two though unfortunately...

I am tipping the next 4 weeks will sort it out, I think the Hawks play 3 top 5 sides in a row coming up? I think we’ll see the gap between 3rd and 13th a little bit wider after that.
Geelong in Geelong is tough, will be a great game and a 50-50 contest, however the next is Freo in Tassie and should win, or go in favourites.

Should also go in favourites against Collingwood, could see a world with 3 wins from the next 3 and being 11-7, sitting in the 8 with North/Richmond last two, Adelaide too, then two tough games against GWS away (form dependent) and Carlton.

Back