Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your defence of your Richmond Brotherhood is admirable, but misguided.

If you comprehend the post I responded to, it was suggesting that Collingwood would fall of the cliff in the same way Richmond did, due to the parallels between the two clubs.

There are no parallels between Collingwood and Richmond.

'Richmond had the best player in the league, Collingwood haven't':
  • Martin was generally considered the best player in the league between 2017 and 2020, though he only performed as THE best player in the league in a single season - 2017. Then he didn't fire a shot after 2020, making a single All-Australian Squad after that time.
  • Compare that to Daicos, who would have swept all the individual awards in his second year if not for his late season injury, and is going to back it up in his 3rd year with AT LEAST the AFLCA Coaches Award. And he is only 21 years old.

'Richmond had continued success, Collingwood hasn't':
  • Richmond had a four year window when they contended, and fortunately won three flags during that window. That team did not win a single final outside of that window. And that is after a 35 year period of failing to play in a single Grand Final, and barely winning a final in that time.
  • Collingwood had played in 11 Preliminary Finals and 6 Grand Finals in the previous 22 seasons.

I know who I'd be backing if I was predicting who was going to build a team to contend again in the short, medium and long term...
Here you are again with your woulda, coulda, shouda nonsense
The facts are Nick Daicos didn’t win all the individual awards, that’s just simply facts.
That’s like saying Sam Docherty would have won the best & fairest this year but he’s been out all year with an ACL, once again, simple facts.
Like I’ve said, and as you’ve agreed, Martin was the best or one of the best players in the comp during this time. Though more importantly, was surrounded by the next best 10 being in the window, from an age and output perspective, to their peak.
That was the key contributor to that run of success.
Daicos however (and noted your response was silent on this) is surrounded by a rapidly ageing core group of what were key players and not much else.
The decline of that core this year being a key contributor to the Pies not making the top eight in a year defending the premiership.
The contorting of your response, like always, defers from discussing key points of the post your responding too and defaults, as always, to your same nonsense.
Its boring.

The facts are Nick Daicos didn’t win all the individual awards, that’s just simply facts.
That’s like saying Sam Docherty would have won the best & fairest this year but he’s been out all year with an ACL, once again, simple facts.
Like I’ve said, and as you’ve agreed, Martin was the best or one of the best players in the comp during this time. Though more importantly, was surrounded by the next best 10 being in the window, from an age and output perspective, to their peak.
That was the key contributor to that run of success.
Daicos however (and noted your response was silent on this) is surrounded by a rapidly ageing core group of what were key players and not much else.
The decline of that core this year being a key contributor to the Pies not making the top eight in a year defending the premiership.
The contorting of your response, like always, defers from discussing key points of the post your responding too and defaults, as always, to your same nonsense.
Its boring.
Injuries were a much bigger factor than the "rapidly aging core" (not sure how you age more rapidly compared to others). There were times this year when we had 11+ from our top 22 missing not to mention injuries to those outside of it and it was rare for us to not have half a dozen key players out.
Sure older players are more likely to get injured but I see our injuries as a bit of an outlier. Hopefully we come back fresh and injury free next year and have one more crack.

Last edited:
This game is HUGE for the Carlton Football Club. It will answer a lot of questions about them.

• Are they a new group finally capable of overcoming adversity? Do they have the internal fortitude to get this done? Or do they wilt under the pressure and wet the bed again?
  • Can they overcome their other bogey team in the mighty Saints?
  • Can they put to bed their well earned reputation for choking when it really matters?
  • Can Sam Walsh hit the fat side of a barn when kicking inside 50?
  • How many free kicks will Curnow need to get to have an impact in a big game?
  • Is the tactical genius of Vossy's kick it to Curnow game plan going to be too much for Ross Lyon?

Or ......

will it be 2022 grim reaper game all over again?

🤔
Weren't they flag favs about 6 weeks ago? Surely they're still top 4?

Injuries were a much bigger factor than the "rapidly aging core" (not sure how you age more rapidly compared to others). There were times this year when we had 11+ from our top 22 missing not to mention injuries to those outside of it and it was rare for us to have half a dozen key players out.
Sure older players are more likely to get injured but I see our injuries as a bit of an outlier. Hopefully we come back fresh and injury free next year and have one more crack.
Outside of Degoey which players have been injured who aren't in the latter part of their careers where they're more likely to get injured year on year?

Hey yas
Can we please remember this is the Carlton/Collingwood banter thread, not a match thread and not a thread about Geelong, Hawthorn or Richmond…we have threads for all those topics.
Thanks.

I’ll put everything I own in it being a colliwobble squib…this years been too much for them already.
Fair enough…I’d be ashamed of my team to if they had a premiership hangover like that too. How soft…
I'll put everything I own in it being a Carlton mod trying to claim victory for 2024... quickly backfired 😆 we're very happy to move on, you're not

Now stay on topic please 😆

My stating what I did about Daicos was simply support of him being the best, or one of the best players in the competition. As it was, he finished 2nd in the AFLCA, 3rd in the Brownlow and 3rd in the MVP.

So it's absolutely nothing like saying Sam Docherty would have won the Blues best and fairest if not for the ACL.

As for the rest of your drivel... it's drivel.

My stating what I did about Daicos was simply support of him being the best, or one of the best players in the competition. As it was, he finished 2nd in the AFLCA, 3rd in the Brownlow and 3rd in the MVP.

So it's absolutely nothing like saying Sam Docherty would have won the Blues best and fairest if not for the ACL.

As for the rest of your drivel... it's drivel.
Boring……

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chocolate dessert GIF by HuffPost

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back