Who will be going to GWS at year's end?

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speculation, theories, all that here.

My mail is that Bastinac is safe for North (loves the group and culture etc) and that GWS don't actually have too much interest him having already got plenty of mids.

Goldstein re-signing leaves the Sainters hugely vulnerable to losing McEvoy. Do they have the salary cap room to offer him a major payrise which at least competes with GWS like North could with Goldy?

Others who are being touted around?

Why is it when someone talks about players from their own team they always have 'mail' that the players love the club ext.

Cal Ward loved the club, but money is a very powerful tool. No one is safe until they sign, imo.

In regard to who I think will go... I have no idea. I think Goddard is more of a chance to leave than Pendlebury.

My mail is that Bastinac is safe for North (loves the group and culture etc) and that GWS don't actually have too much interest him having already got plenty of mids.

Goldstein re-signing leaves the Sainters hugely vulnerable to losing McEvoy. Do they have the salary cap room to offer him a major payrise which at least competes with GWS like North could with Goldy?

Stop kidding yourself my friend. Bastinac probably won't leave but you don't know that. You sprout culture etc but if i was a young player, I would be alot more inclined to leave a North melbourne then what i was to leave a collingwood/hawthorn/carlton/essendon/geelong.

Everyone can guess who is leaving, and if you say enough names you might get one and think your a genius. But at the end of the day unless you're with in the 4 walls of these footy clubs, or individuals homes you really don't know.

The culture where Scott says that anyone leaving for any reason whatsoever reflects badly on their character?

Those comments sounded pretty divisive to me. I'm not sure a coach should be saying that. Contrast that with Hird's comments regarding Hurley today. Far more level headed and less adversarial.

North thrive on that sort of culture, building the group etc. Certainly has helped Swallow and Goldstein reject the GWS money.

Not sure I see a huge difference in what Hird and Scott said. Scott has also said that stuff from his first public appearance for North.

GWS are smart. They target Melbourne clubs with poor brands, on & off the field. A high profile AFL club captain told me after the Polo that a North Melbourne player who you really wouldn't have thought has signed a 'HOA'.

Can't say I know much about Bastinac myself, he seemed to fall off the radar owing to injury issues.

Stop kidding yourself my friend. Bastinac probably won't leave but you don't know that. You sprout culture etc but if i was a young player, I would be alot more inclined to leave a North melbourne then what i was to leave a collingwood/hawthorn/carlton/essendon/geelong.

Everyone can guess who is leaving, and if you say enough names you might get one and think your a genius. But at the end of the day unless you're with in the 4 walls of these footy clubs, or individuals homes you really don't know.

Here here!!

I also wouldn't assume that they wouldn't target Bastinac because they have 'enough mids' already. GWS will target whichever talented players are available to them. Their lack of a quality ruckman and failure to recruit a talented ruck prospect, suggests they may chase an established ruck like McEvoy, however I would assume that the Saints would deem him very much required and offer him a new pay packet accordingly. I think they would be more likely to let Goddard go over McEvoy.

To be fair, 90% of them do re-sign.

I've also heard the rumours about Bastinac being sought - as well as a pretty talented young NSW bloke.

North are being pretty astute in timing our good news to maximise membership bossts ... Godly a few weeks ago, new captain (please be Jack) tomorrow and I expect in another few weeks, Basti re-signing.

You can talk "inside mail" all you want, SLF, but until Bastinac signs he's a chance to go. And it's a chance that grows bigger the longer he doesn't sign.

When a player puts off signing until the end of the year it means they're thinking money. Either to have a career year and pocket the reward or test their worth with GWS. Not to mention Bastinac is very good friends with Scully.

Looking at it objectively, North doesn't have a lot to offer young players. Sure, there's culture, and a good playing group, but every club has that. That's why making finals, especially this year, is so damn important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can talk "inside mail" all you want, SLF, but until Bastinac signs he's a chance to go. And it's a chance that grows bigger the longer he doesn't sign.

When a player puts off signing until the end of the year it means they're thinking money. Either to have a career year and pocket the reward or test their worth with GWS. Not to mention Bastinac is very good friends with Scully.

Looking at it objectively, North doesn't have a lot to offer young players. Sure, there's culture, and a good playing group, but every club has that. That's why making finals, especially this year, is so damn important.

Bastinac and Scully were drafted in the same year.

If they are such good mates and want to play together, why didn't they align their contracts so they could both come out together?

FFS - there were blokes at high school I knocked round with every day who I barely saw again after I went to a different uni than them.

The one we were worried about was always Goldy.

Basti has taken the 3 guernsey too. By absolutely every account he's not the kind of kid who'd do that knowing he'd already signed a deal.

Stop panicking.

Money talks there is no doubt. I expect at least another 3-4 quality players to go to GWS. I have no idea who but have a feeling Hurley may go. I also think one of Pendlebury and Goddard may go. Let's face it though a lot of players putting off contract talks and seems to be what managers are advising. It will be an interesting off season with GWS and free agency.

Bastinac and Scully were drafted in the same year.

If they are such good mates and want to play together, why didn't they align their contracts so they could both come out together?

They played footy together throughout their whole junior careers, it's well reported they are still very close.

Didn't Bastinac feature in an article about Scully saying they were still in regular contact?

Doesn't mean he'll go mind you; but you're starting to sound like Melbourne supporters this time last year.

Off the top of my head the targets that have been bandied around:

McEvoy
Goddard
Pendlebury
Hurley
Redden
Collingwood young talls (not recalling off the top of my head who is out of contract atm but Dawes, Brown, Reid are the ones I am thinking of)
Bastinac

They played footy together throughout their whole junior careers, it's well reported they are still very close.

Didn't Bastinac feature in an article about Scully saying they were still in regular contact?

Doesn't mean he'll go mind you; but you're starting to sound like Melbourne supporters this time last year.

Every article about Bastinac I've seen talks about how he it loves at North and wants to stay.

Off the top of my head the targets that have been bandied around:

McEvoy
Goddard
Pendlebury
Hurley
Redden
Collingwood young talls (not recalling off the top of my head who is out of contract atm but Dawes, Brown, Reid are the ones I am thinking of)
Bastinac

Is signed, sealed and just waiting to be delivered I reckon.

Look out that's what Scully said.

Difference being Scully left your pre-season China trip in disgust.

Bastinac stayed in Utah an extra two weeks with Andrew Swallow (who also knocked back GWS) because he was loving it so much.

You mean how North's communication dept. were instructed by the Ambulance Chaser to announce their P/L statement directly as the Draft started?

That was indeed a nifty bit of media management.

Dawes and Brown Re-Signed for 2 Seasons last year so It be Reid but I doubt he would go

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be going to GWS at year's end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back