Who will be going to GWS at year's end?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's this. We haven't put off talks, we just want to get Ryder (will re-sign soon) and any others locked in and see how much is left over for Hurley. As for wanting to avoid talking about the negotiations, it's most likely because Bomber knows how harmful a year's worth of intense speculation is (the Ablett saga), and he wants to shield Hurley somewhat from it.

EFC has been Area 51 this offseason so it's not suprising one of our players has been restricted as to what they can tell the media.

Essendon haven't put off talks. Hurley and his management have and thats what the concern is.

From what I have been told I am confident he will stay. Three people I trust and who are close to the club suggest that the a contract to stay with Essendon is pretty much signed.

I hope like hell they are right.

Incidently it would IMO take a lot more money than what they offered Scully to get him to move. Ablett like money and I am not sure if they have that amount to play with.

Names I have heard linked as well are:

Ben McEvoy
and
Isacc Smith

Port have both Robbie Gray and Hamish Hartlett out of contract and maybe Boak (some uncertainty on contract status) at years end.

When you look at Scully and Ward, Hartlett is a similar profile. Top draft pick from a struggling club.

Former Port coach Mark Williams is an assistant (did he leave on bad terms, ask his sister), and Sheeds has a long memory. The Power "taking" Wanganeen upon entry to the AFL. I bet he would not mind some "payback". Although Wangas was always going to sign up with the Port AFL side once it came into the AFL.

If anything the threat of GWS will push these two (three) contracts up in value. You would think GWS would offer $800-$1m for Hartlett. Lets hope the signing of Trengove, Lobbe and Butcher has left enough in the SalCap.

From what I have been told I am confident he will stay. Three people I trust and who are close to the club suggest that the a contract to stay with Essendon is pretty much signed.

I hope like hell they are right.

Incidently it would IMO take a lot more money than what they offered Scully to get him to move. Ablett like money and I am not sure if they have that amount to play with.

Names I have heard linked as well are:

Ben McEvoy
and
Isacc Smith

I think Scully is on more then Ablett.

I trusted Garry Lion and he said Tom was staying.

Lion trusted Tom and seemed to garner that info from him.

While it's great to be optimistic chances are nothing will be known till seasons end (unless he re signs with you now) and the year will be distracting and somewhat draining.

Before Tom had even gone I was starting to resent him and actually wanted him to go :p

Either way Essendon will survive but losing Hurley will be like losing Scully except you could say that Hurley actually owes the Bombers something.

I've heard Isaac Smith mentioned as well, would be an interesting one as he would be deserving of going up the salaries, and Hawthorn *should* be pretty close to top of the cap - but they've always managed their cap & contracts pretty well.

Essendon haven't put off talks. Hurley and his management have and thats what the concern is.
I'm always interested in how much people discern out of "no comment".

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128946/default.aspx

But there are promising signs that he will choose the Bombers, with Hurley, who is living at home with his parents in Melbourne's northern suburbs, keen to buy a property closer to the club.

"I actually was at an auction last weekend but wasn't lucky enough to get the house," he said.

"But I'm looking to buy and looking to move out, about halfway between the club and home, so I can keep in touch with friends from home as well as the family."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128946/default.aspx

If GWS was smart, and I believe they are, the would front end the contracts for this year.

Put Ward, Scully and Davis on Megabucks (ie well over $1m) for this season. Then load up the players they poach this year in 2013. Over the term of the contract it evens out.

They have a lot of guys with AFL experience who who are not on big salaries, and lots of debutants on minimum coin as well. These three would take the bulk of their cap this year, and the next lot they poach this year may be in a similar situation next year.

If GWS was smart, and I believe they are, the would front end the contracts for this year.

Put Ward, Scully and Davis on Megabucks (ie well over $1m) for this season. Then load up the players they poach this year in 2013. Over the term of the contract it evens out.

They have a lot of guys with AFL experience who who are not on big salaries, and lots of debutants on minimum coin as well. These three would take the bulk of their cap this year, and the next lot they poach this year may be in a similar situation next year.
They did that, I think they are actually pretty close to the salary cap for 2012 - didn't they have to pass on some rookie picks because of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley not going anywhere chumps.
Read your newspapers.

Ryan Bastinac has bought a house in the inner west of Melbourne too.

I take it you agree this means he's safe?

They did that, I think they are actually pretty close to the salary cap for 2012 - didn't they have to pass on some rookie picks because of it?

Yes they did pass on RPs as they were near to 100% of the cap.

And they will do it again to have a go at a few other guys this year.

Based on what they already got in the midfield, and the fact it will be overflowing with elite talent when their window opens, i reckon they'll target something else end of this year. Hurley Mcevoy reid... would all be much better for them

imagine the GWS - Essendon rivalry if sheeds took hurley? thats a reason why i think he'll move, GWS would LOVE to start a huge rivalry with a big victorian club

People who are worried about losing a gun midfielder from their club shouldn't, after all the mids GWS signed last year (Scully, Palmer, Ward) and drafted (Shiel, Treloar, Coniglio, Tyson, Adams etc) it would end up being counterproductive to sign more young mids (you can't play them all!), what GWS want and need are KPPs, so you'd assume they'll mainly be after Hurley, Mcevoy, B. Reid.

I find all the talk about GWS going after Bastinac hard to understand, especially because the reason alot of people give is he's good mates with Scully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be going to GWS at year's end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back