Who will be the next Bulldogs captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

King Bont

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As it stands right now, I feel Wallis will be the logical choise, he's 23. A leader on and off the field and has really stepped up his game in the absence of a few of the boys who left and some Injured, but ofcourse a lot can happen in 18 months if Murph either retires or gives someone else a go as captain!
Maybe someone like Bont can really show strong leadership and they give it to him similar to what the cats did with Selwood.
What are your thoughts ?

Would like it to be Wally. Speaks really well, bleeds for the club and being a father/son player, only endears him more. Would like him to lead this group of young players and start a dynasty.

Cant see Murphy going anywhere in a hurry. I will say Libba.
Can you explain this line of thinking to me?

A few people have said this, but I just don't see why anyone would think Libba should be captain.

Wallis or Roughead methinks - co-captains maybe? Could work to support each other given they are still quite inexperienced.

Think Tom Boyd can step up down the line, I think he would be a terrific captain when he's hitting his straps at 25-26. The Bont as well.. Spoiled for choice with potential captains...

I also like the idea of the leadership group being rotating captains for game day, but being the collective 'captains', rather than one individual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you explain this line of thinking to me?

A few people have said this, but I just don't see why anyone would think Libba should be captain.
The players voted for him as one of the team leaders. He leads by example on the field, regardless how the scoreline sits. Not if murphs pulled up stumps at the end of this year though. In a year or two after playing again. Is just my opinion.

The players voted for him as one of the team leaders. He leads by example on the field, regardless how the scoreline sits. Not if murphs pulled up stumps at the end of this year though. In a year or two after playing again. Is just my opinion.

He has been quoted many times by other players about being on of our spiritual leaders. I think he can and will continue to lead in that sense, and as part of the leadership group. I just don't think he has the personality to be a captain of the club, and being able to handle the off-field responsibilities that come with the role.

He has been quoted many times by other players about being on of our spiritual leaders. I think he can and will continue to lead in that sense, and as part of the leadership group. I just don't think he has the personality to be a captain of the club, and being able to handle the off-field responsibilities that come with the role.
Yeh true, but realistically you could have said the same thing about Murphy a couple years back. Libbas personality is surely different to what we see via a camera shoved in his face, to what he must be within the club to have already earned the respect that he has. Im sure all the captains receive a bit of media training when they get the gig.

Yeh true, but realistically you could have said the same thing about Murphy a couple years back. Libbas personality is surely different to what we see via a camera shoved in his face, to what he must be within the club to have already earned the respect that he has. Im sure all the captains receive a bit of media training when they get the gig.
But he doesn't seem like he wants to be captain. And what happened the last time we forced somebody into the captaincy?

Gun player. Good leader. Not really captain material in my mind though.

I can see Roughie stepping up. He clearly has the love and respect of the playing group, he sacrifices his own game for the team, and he's quite well spoken and intelligent.

That said, I've seen few players more suited to the captaincy of a club than Mitch Wallis.

Oh, and Hrovat as a smoky. *grabs popcorn*

One name I'm surprised nobody's mentioned, Jake Stringer. In the Whitten/Voss/Hodge mould he has immense potential. He's one of the most alpha types humanity has ever produced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be our next captain?

Back