The Birch

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2007
Mt Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Now that I hear ned(Dale Perry)has gone, who will take over from the under achieved coach? The Goss is That Errol make take the reins, but being down the other end of the state, my news may be abit clouded to the actual facts!

Any news devonport boys?

Who cares who coaches Devonport - they are chokers - cant win a flag to save themselves! Burnie will win a few more b4 Dev finally taste success. All ways been soft losers those Dev girls!

Blue_Virus, don't be quick to judge the boys from Devonport. Chokers i think not. They lost two grand finals to won of the best sides ever in Burnie. Then lost another to Launceston who could take Burnie's mantle. I suggest you give credit where credit is due, to play in three grand finals and make a pre-lim is a good effort. No silverware i agree, but still a good effort.

My Mail is Kurt Heazlewood (Baldock Medalist) has been offered 37 grand a year to coach East Devonport for at least three years and turned it down. Scott Matheson, ex Burnie Premiership players has taken the job. Snapper in line to coach Devonport. Burnie Job out of Justin Plapp and Errol Bourn

Who is Scott Matheson ? East don't want just any one, they need a big strong tough bastard, like Andy Goodwin was for Devonport. Otherwise they will be cellar dwellars for the next decade.

Why don't they raid Devonport's players? I heard Perry was going to be coach, so that might very well happen!

Nup Perry is done. Emotionally he just can't do it anymore. He has said all year this would be it. Scotty matheson played in the 01 premiership under Maguane, he is a local. Went and had a year with Peel thunder in the wafl with Woolridge and Gaby then come home and played in the next couple of flags.

I find it hard to believe Scott Matheson would coach East Devonport for anything other than the money. He played at Ainslie this year and Subiaco the year before now East Devonport in 08 - that would be 3 teams in 3 years. He is the oposite to Andy Goodwin Type meaning he is a skinny outside type player. If he came back to Tas and on the coast for anyone bar burnie I would be mighty surprised.

Ball and chain i may have been harsh on dev but unlike Burnie they havent taken their window of opportunity and a few other teams in the ntfl will overtake them in coming years

Ball n Chain, why would you want to coach East Dev, when you have been with successfull clubs like Matheson has?

NTFL comp too lop sided

Fair dinkum you mob up there just when will the NTFL sort itself out.

Surely lesser clubs like East Devonport should be looking at other comps to play in. Thankfully the SFL is now pumping ,the comp has picked up in standard and there are fewer one sided games.

It just seems a tragedy that some clubs in the NTFL will have generation after generation of players that won't even play finals!

Sure Devonport have missed out on the big one, but at least Perry and co can say they had good times and played in September every year.

On another matter, bring back the statewide premiership. I dare say Launceston would have belted Glenorchy by 6 goals, although David "super coach" Newett is a master and no doubt the best coach in the state.

How he got his boys up over Clarence fasinates me as man for man Clarence had far more talent.

I find it hard to believe Scott Matheson would coach East Devonport for anything other than the money. He played at Ainslie this year and Subiaco the year before now East Devonport in 08 - that would be 3 teams in 3 years. He is the oposite to Andy Goodwin Type meaning he is a skinny outside type player. If he came back to Tas and on the coast for anyone bar burnie I would be mighty surprised.

Ball and chain i may have been harsh on dev but unlike Burnie they havent taken their window of opportunity and a few other teams in the ntfl will overtake them in coming years

Totally Agree with that, Devonport need to win the title in 2008, otherwise the window is gone...

They won't win the premiership in 08, my pick is Launceston will do the treble, but look out for a resurgence from the dockers. Not a bad list and i hear a few devils players from the North will be joining plappy in 08.

Scott Mathewson is a very popular bloke on the coast as well. Look for him to drag a few players to East from the Burnie area. His brother in law is Nick Probert as well, i don't know if Nick will have any involvement at East but will be a handy sounding board and perhaps recruiter!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that I hear ned(Dale Perry)has gone, who will take over from the under achieved coach? The Goss is That Errol make take the reins, but being down the other end of the state, my news may be abit clouded to the actual facts!

Any news devonport boys?

Yea Birch im pretty sure who ever coaches Dport has got a big job on their hands. You called Perry an under achiever. Shows you know little about the game. Go through his list he has had over the past 5 years and you will see that he got some poor players into some good spots. It devastated him to see his players wilt year after year. Their coach will be announced on Friday. Initials S.R. A former coach of Glenorchy.

I would seriously doubt whether you know Scott Matheson if you think he would only coach East Devonport for the money!!! Scott has the football brains and the attitude to take the club to a far more positive position. I believe his main reason for taking the job was a strong desire to take part in the improvement of the football club. It is ludicrous for you to even suggest that Scott's motives would be monetary. I can guarantee he will work tirelessly and silence all those who are so quick to pass comment

Yea Birch im pretty sure who ever coaches Dport has got a big job on their hands. You called Perry an under achiever. Shows you know little about the game. Go through his list he has had over the past 5 years and you will see that he got some poor players into some good spots. It devastated him to see his players wilt year after year. Their coach will be announced on Friday. Initials S.R. A former coach of Glenorchy.

Steve Resig, you got it right north wester, the new coach of the Devonport Blues. Heard he wont have many left from last years squad to coach! Maybe a good thing, get rid of all the chokers!

And how would you Guarantee this subi80?

I would guarantee this as I know how very seriously he is taking his new role at east devonport. Having been exposed to different coaching styles and club cultures over the years (including WAFL premiership side Subiaco) he knows what it takes (both on and off the field) to play finals football

I would guarantee this as I know how very seriously he is taking his new role at east devonport. Having been exposed to different coaching styles and club cultures over the years (including WAFL premiership side Subiaco) he knows what it takes (both on and off the field) to play finals football

I hope the club goes up for scotts sake and he brings a little success to them!

Subi 80, does Scott plan to bring with him many interstate recruits? Or focus on the local talent? I doubt whether they would be able to afford many more, after Scotty is getting 25,000 for playing coach

Subi 80, does Scott plan to bring with him many interstate recruits? Or focus on the local talent? I doubt whether they would be able to afford many more, after Scotty is getting 25,000 for playing coach

I would like to know where all these rumours of alleged salaries are coming from? I was of the belief that contract negotiations and remuneration were confidential and kept between the respective parties. I must say I have heard some pretty tall stories about what he supposedly being paid.

I think Scott's main aim is to work on the young players, it would make more sense to work and build on the local talent than to bring interstate recruits who may only take short term contracts and not stick around at the club long term.

I would like to know where all these rumours of alleged salaries are coming from? I was of the belief that contract negotiations and remuneration were confidential and kept between the respective parties. I must say I have heard some pretty tall stories about what he supposedly being paid.

I think Scott's main aim is to work on the young players, it would make more sense to work and build on the local talent than to bring interstate recruits who may only take short term contracts and not stick around at the club long term.

That sounds good on building your own talent, but do they have any?? I don't know Scott from a bar of soap, but to get, I think an ex Burnie boy, to come and coach a Devonport side, I'm pretty sure he must be on what everyone is saying, $25,000 a year. I know one thing, you'd want to be on a fair bit to coach East, because they have nothing that would appeal to any one in the players department, but we all know they have money.

But, I know one thing, East will not be any better next year, or the year after, or the year after, than what they were this year. They have been paying big money to get coaches and players for years now, and what have they achieved???

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will coach Devonport?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back