Who will coach the Eagles in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

However I also hope that if Sumich does get appointed it isn't automatically assumed that it was a job for the boys appointment
It will be hard not to think this.

By all reports he has been good at Fremantle and was at WC. Both forwardlines displayed accurate set shot kicking and great defensive pressure during his reign, however WC's forwardlind was never offensively well structured and I always considered his style to be the Tao of Sumich.

Kind of a let the chips fall where they may approach.

We have rolled this way for too long, which is why I hope we snag Simpson. He brings new ideas, a potentially systematic and technical approach as well as access to a greater potential staff pool.

However, I really do worry the board has stagnated and we have become trapped in a "jobs for the boys" cycle. Oh well, whatever happens, happens I suppose.

Was just going to say, how will people decide, if Suma gets it, whether it's on merits or due to link to the club? It simply has to be preconceived ideas that people hold about the clubs management/Sumas ability.
The issues I see though, is that we have been exposed to a lot of Suma's ideas already.

Simpson also has access and contacts with a whole heap of football department talent, that may not easily be in our reach.

However, we will find out pretty quickly with Suma if it was the right decision.

The issues I see though, is that we have been exposed to a lot of Suma's ideas already.

Simpson also has access and contacts with a whole heap of football department talent, that may not easily be in our reach.

However, we will find out pretty quickly with Suma if it was the right decision.

Have we though? I have no idea of the dynamics between he and Woosh over the 10 years and I assume that Woosh wouldn't allow something if he didn't agree with it. Suma has also just spent the last two years under a guy who many see as the best tactical coach in the comp.

But if Suma had a big impact, I'd have no problem returning to the success of 2005-07 :D

Seems its down to Sumich or Simpson and I'd be happy with either one of those.

I'd expect that Burns will leave after being overlooked which leaves us with at least 3 assistant roles to fill. Would love one of those spots to be Voss as senior assistant.

Any thoughts on the others?

Mark Harvey would be cool as a senior assistant As I think he done a lot of good things at freo

Have we though? I have no idea of the dynamics between he and Woosh over the 10 years and I assume that Woosh wouldn't allow something if he didn't agree with it. Suma has also just spent the last two years under a guy who many see as the best tactical coach in the comp.

But if Suma had a big impact, I'd have no problem returning to the success of 2005-07 :D
Woosh did delegate responsibility to his line coaches.

I have heard it discussed before anyway, Suma's approach to the forwardline was apply pressure, guarantee supply and rely on the players for the rest to take care of itself.

On the one hand, our forwardline was quite good for a couple of years. Above average talent, efficient from set shots and applied great pressure.

On the other hand, we often had key forwards taking each others space, a propensity to be forced to the pockets, poor entries and often bizarre chains of play that resulted in missed opportunities.

We really never seemed to generate those easy goals, from good positions that the better teams often do.

Sumich has spent an apprenticeship under Lyon, however will becoming Freo lite work for us? Surely we have already tinkered with this style of play and it was abandoned in 2012. Nor do we have the cattle, recent recruiting record of Freo nor Lyon himself.

As for referencing past glories, this is exactly the problem. 2005-2007 was largely down to the sheer unrivaled talent of our midfield, at a time when the hands off approach worked. When Judd left, Cousins left and Kerr broke down, so did our on field prospects.

This I believe is a load of bullshit.
Its pretty common knowledge that Woosha and Suma didn't see eye to eye on a lot of tactics.
Part of Suma job was to be contary one on the match committee as the senior assistant and give a
different point of view.
Woosha was just very strong in his beliefs and didn't want to change them.
A easy example would be the rotation policy John doesn't like to rotate when Suma is a very strong believer
in more rotations.
This year WCE was the least rotating side in the league, probably part of the reason we had such bad last quarters.
Whats even more embarrassing is our fowards where the most rotated fowards in the league.
Why ? the hell did Woosha give such rest to fowards and not our mids no wonder we lacked run and carry, they where
always buggered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This I believe is a load of bullshit.
I am sorry, but your common knowledge has a bad habit of being uncommonly wrong.

It did appear Worsfold was a stubborn coach, however the changes to our forwardline were noticeable pre and post Sumich.

Some were good, however Fremantle's forwardline approach is not terribly different to our own in '11.

Trade radio: down to Suma and Simpson
News just in! The Swans won the 2012 flag! Trade Radio just regurgitating same thing.. :D
I am leaning toward Simpson, although Suma would do. I assume you're on the Sumatrain, Suma Magic?

News just in! The Swans won the 2012 flag! Trade Radio just regurgitating same thing.. :D
I am leaning toward Simpson, although Suma would do. I assume you're on the Sumatrain, Suma Magic?

I haven't read the thread so maybe I was late on the news.

I wanted either of the two, really didn't want Burns.

While Suma would suit me from a BF name perspective, I'd lean slightly towards Simpson.

I haven't read the thread so maybe I was late on the news.

I wanted either of the two, really didn't want Burns.

While Suma would suit me from a BF name perspective, I'd lean slightly towards Simpson.

Edited for accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back