Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

All of them.

If Wells was at his best he'd be the exception but we don't often get a season of Wells at his best.

Are you saying that you would rather Nathan Jones than any of those listed?

Wow.

If you had to line every midfielder from opposition clubs up against a wall and select them in order to play for North where would Jones go, I'd say around the 25 to 30 mark.

To suggest he would be our best player is simply wrong.
Spot on

Not hearing a lot of compelling arguments. Sucks having everyone completely disagreeing with you though. This must be what Saintly feels like every day.
Doesn't kick enough goals, isn't ever relied upon to shutdown an opponent thus isn't accountable, his disposal efficiency might be above average but he doesn't offer a lot of creativity.

Plus, we have Cunnington. Nuff said.

Not hearing a lot of compelling arguments. Sucks having everyone completely disagreeing with you though. This must be what Saintly feels like every day.
Jones is a bloody good player. Love the bloke and would love to have him at North. To say he would be our best player is inaccurate though. Personally I think that as an inside mid he is behind Swallow, but ahead of Cunnington based on consistency. Jones had a great year in 2014, but up until that Andrew Swallow was a consistently better player, despite playing less game time.

As an all round footballer I also have him behind Wells, Harvey and Dal Santo. They play different roles to Jones but IMO they are better players than he in an attacking sense, in a footy nous sense and in a ball use sense. Similar arguments could be raised for Jones vs Goldstein and Jones vs Thompson. Both are in discussion for AA selection in their respective positions, Jones not so much although he is part of a larger group to choose from.

As I said, Jones is a excellent but he would not be our best player.

Doesn't kick enough goals, isn't ever relied upon to shutdown an opponent thus isn't accountable, his disposal efficiency might be above average but he doesn't offer a lot of creativity.

Couldn't be more wrong. In 2014, in order to release Jones from the weekly tag, Roos often decided to send him to be the best opposition midfielder and go head to head. Week in, week out he was beating the best players in the competition head to head. He had an outstanding year.

Couldn't be more wrong. In 2014, in order to release Jones from the weekly tag, Roos often decided to send him to be the best opposition midfielder and go head to head. Week in, week out he was beating the best players in the competition head to head. He had an outstanding year.
Out of curiosity, does anyone remember who he played on against North?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I respect your opinion... But I gotta ask, do you have a personal relationship with Jones or something because you are massively overating him..

This is the reason for me why he isn't elite, he just doesn't hurt opposition sides with his possessions. Takes the easier option more often than the attacking one.

Swallow at his best, which we saw glimpses of last year is a better player
Wells and Harvey are much better players than Jones, can destroy sides with 16 possessions, Jones can't do that with twice as many.
Goldy and Thompson are also better player, even if they're in different positions.

As of right now, Jones is better than Dal Santo, Cunnington, Ziebell etc. Only Swallow would be rated as better.

We overrate our footballers massively.
I would take Dal without a left leg over Jones. And I'd take Cunners every day of the week. I'll give you Ziebell, he is definitely overrated on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back