WHO WILL WIN THE INTERNATIONAL RULES SERIES

Remove this Banner Ad

Joshhem
the international series is a series between Australia and Ireland and they play a game that is a cross between gaelic footy and aussi footy and is called international rules. This year it is being played in Ireland and we send a team of our best to play them. In the past we have sent our all australian team but this year we have a all australian team and a seperate team to play the international rules, although many of the all australians are in the other team. This came about after in the past people in the all australian team haven't been available to play and people that should have been all australians didn't get in as the selectors didn't want to take them to the series. I hoope this clears it up a little for you, maybe others can add a little more on.

Playing two instead of three games is ridiculous, but they're still great games. Having followed both codes closely over the season, I think you guys might have the edge this year. I know you're missing players, but the loss of the Kerry/Galway (the two best teams in the country) guys and last year's captain, Meath's John McDermott could prove critical.Either way, roll on Sunday!

Joshelm - check out this page on the AFL site and history, rules etc will all be explained. http://www.afl.com.au/irs/default.htm

Essentially the current rules of the hybrid called International Rules seem to have struck the perfect balance between Gaelic and Australian Rules. The game is Aussie Rules with a round ball and a soccer net under the goals cross bar. Some modification like lighter tackling rules, ball kicked in from out of bounds, umpire throws up at ball ups mean that packs don't form and the game is superfast and more flowing than footy. The tackling - Gaelic has basketball type contact rules - means the IR game is more direct than Gaelic itself. So the perfect combo!

I would've had money on Australia - and I think got good odds in Ireland - if Buckley and Silvagni were playing. Now with Hird carrying a hip injury it'll be tough for our guys.

The game is in its infancy - but as the All-Ireland Final and the AFL Grand Final fall at the end of September - it can find a permanent home as October icing on the cake for the two national games. I predict it'll be up there as a major highlight of the sporting calender when the series is extended beyond the current four year trial.

It certainly will be extended - 110,000 here last year and by yesterday 25,000 tickets presold for the first Test in Dublin cf corresponding period 2,500 presold - in the end 22,000 attended the first game and 35,000 the second. Correct me if I'm wrong Benny. Also Benny what effect is the replay of the Drawn All Ireland final having?

The main effect of the replay in The All-Ireland is that we lose 6 of our players, 6 players from two best teams. Also, Galway have been without Ja Fallon, one of our best players las year, for the whole season due to a knee injury. On the flip side, it will give the chance to a guy, not only from my own county, but also local club to make the panel.For this guy, Martin Daly in playing for Clare, a weaker football county, to be given the oppurtunity to represent Ireland is akin to actually playing in an All-Ireland. I think that's one of the great things about this, it gives players from weaker counties the chance to play at this level.

We'll win this series. McEniff was a good manager with Donegal, and they'll be well prepared. Moynihan'll be a huge loss though...Oh yeah UP THE KINGDOM!!...

Totally agree with Ballyb. Seamus Moynihan is the best footballer in the country. Any chance of a return for the second test? Likewise, Michael Donnellan of Galway. By the way, congrats on the win guys, but it ain't over yet! (Also, hows the hangover after the match Ballyb?)

Contrary to what I said earlier, Ireland were poor. McEniff hadn't them coached right at all. Instead of moving it quickly, where we seemed to have the Australians in trouble, we slowed it down. Have to say they were a lot better than last time with Caracella and Leppitsch outstanding.

Sorry Benny, I'm a bitter Kildareman, but the hangover's there nonetheless! I'm afraid your lot weren't at the races on Saturday. Kerry should have won by more...and Moynihan may not be there next week either although the Galway contingent could...

Thanks for your comments guys, great to get input from the Emerald Isle. Have only seen the first quarter of the game as it was on this morning from 12:40 - 3:00am, taped the rest. We started off badly but must have come home with a wet sail. Pretty pleasing to see 3 Bombers in the bests, being an Essendon fan. I had a feeling Hird and Caracella would be naturals for the IR series.

Will be alot tougher next game when you guys get some of your best players back. Hopefully they'll have celebrated long and hard after the final
biggrin.gif

Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was particularly stoked to see us FINALLY adopt the irish "hook" kick while kicking for goals, with Blake Caracella being a natural. Its been immensly frustrating in previous series' to see us trying to kick that round ball in a drop punt fashion as it just doesnt work.
Something else we have to work on I think is the technique of NOT always picking up the ball, but using the soccer skills, and little taps to maintain possession.

but it was a great game i thought- although the umpiring seemed a little mysifying at times. And Dermotts coaching was very solid.

A.

GO AUSSIES

oh by the way- is the series still decided by aggregate points over the 2 games ????

If so I reckon our 8 point lead should be able to be maintained in the next game- assuming the aussie lads dont hit the turps too hard this week.
smile.gif

Reading the Irish coverage of this event , I came across this....

The nation in question looked in sore need of some of the Galway and Kerry players who had to drop out because of the replayed All-Ireland. There is no word as yet on the likelihood of their turning out next week, but with Séamus Moynihan bringing the Sam Maguire around the county, his chances of being in a position to play look slim.

Is the 'Sam Maguire' a trophy, and does this imply that the above mentioned Seamus will be too 'tired and emotional' to play ?

Answers please !

?????????????

The nation in question looked in sore need of some of the Galway and Kerry players who had to drop out because of the replayed All-Ireland. There is no word as yet on the likelihood of their turning out next week, but with Séamus Moynihan bringing the Sam Maguire around the county, his chances of being in a position to play look slim.

?????????????????

I think the Maguire is their Brownlow - or maybe its the premiership cup? Either way they could do with Moynihan as he was the Irish player of the series last year.

The series is on aggregate if it is not two nil. There's yet to be a blow out in the five Tests so far - so the current rules are working as a fair compromise. It is so fast and bloody exciting to watch.

The Sam Maguire is the trophy for winning the All-Ireland. Kerry, won it for a record thirty-second time on Saturday. Even if Seamus Moynihan is bringing it on a tour of the Ring of Kerry for the week, I'd still like to have him in the team for the next day. Moynihan playing with a hangover is still better than most!
One disappointing thing about yesterday's game was our actual score. Forget about the behinds for a minute. We scored 1-11 yesterday, which would have been a poor return in 70 minutes of Gaelic, let alone 80 minutes of rules. Also, in spite of the Aussie's unfamiliarity with the round ball, they scored 14 overs (3 more than us) which illustrates our innaccuracy. In other words you beat us at our own game guys. If we are to make up the 8 point deficit, then I think we're going to have to score more goals. One in 80 minutes won't be enough.
By the way Ballyb, I'm actually a Clare man, but living in Galway, so hurling is more up my street. Mind you, I thought we had Kerry in the Munster final this year. But then they came onto the pitch too...

Remove this Banner Ad

WHO WILL WIN THE INTERNATIONAL RULES SERIES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back