Who would you prefer take an after-the-siren kick for goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by topdon
Suprised you failed to mention Voss ;)

Oh ... and Lloyd by a country mile.
In all seriousness how far in fron of Voss would you have Lloyd? I can't say I'd argue with Lloyd but his figures are a little flattered by Telstra and Voss is an awesome kick. I have no idea idea what his stats are but he rarely misses a set shot.

From a big distance you can't go past Anthony Rocca but from 50m or closer Lloyd has the runs on the board. I'd take Voss as a second option as much as I'd take anyone though. Nick Davis is a good option also. he was MM's nomination from the Pies (ahead of Buckley) when asked the question during 2002.

Originally posted by Asgardian
Of older AFL players, wasn't Geoff Raines deadly in front of goal, or Malcolm Blight?
McKenna still rates as one of the all time great set shots. Raines was a good kick and he could hoof a ball but he'd be behind Blight IMO. Both were behind Daicos either from a set shot, on the run or under whatever pressure you can imagine. I didn't see a huge amount of McKenna at his best. Daicos was the best kick I have seen at Collingwood. IMO he was the best kick I saw play. Some rate D. Jarman very higly. I certainly rate his kicking highly but behind Daicos. I can recall quite a few goals from the centre of the ground at Vic. Park from a young Daicos playing on the ball and the passes were pinpoint and weighted perfectly like the best of Jarman's.

Originally posted by topdon
In 2003, Matthew Lloyd had 25 attempts at goal from outside the 50 metre arc and kicked 25 goals straight.

^^

that's why i'd vote lloyd. i was going to quote these statistics, but topdon has already done it for me :p i'd take lloyd under almost any cicumstance. there's nobody else from essendon i'd trust to kick 50m after the siren - lucas and hille are players who can slot through 50m goals with ease though (and miss from 25m out, directly in front :eek:)

other than lloyd, there's not too many players that can consistently kick 50m accurately. i'd probably go for rocca, voss, or maybe even tredrea. the harder the shot, the more accurate he seems to be (at least against essendon :mad: )

Originally posted by MarkT
McKenna still rates as one of the all time great set shots. Raines was a good kick and he could hoof a ball but he'd be behind Blight IMO. Both were behind Daicos either from a set shot, on the run or under whatever pressure you can imagine. I didn't see a huge amount of McKenna at his best. Daicos was the best kick I have seen at Collingwood. IMO he was the best kick I saw play. Some rate D. Jarman very higly. I certainly rate his kicking highly but behind Daicos. I can recall quite a few goals from the centre of the ground at Vic. Park from a young Daicos playing on the ball and the passes were pinpoint and weighted perfectly like the best of Jarman's.

Daicos was PPD (pre-Port days), so I didn't see as much of as yourself. His bag of tricks is probably bigger than anyone else's that I've seen, but he didn't seem to have the length of delivery. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he have a knee reco in the bad old days, and didn't that dramatically curtail his distance?

Darren Jarman was a freak with the ball, but he did have a couple of off days, maybe he was only human?

Whenever I saw Peter Hudson kick for goal, if I didn't know better, I would have thought he was a defender, ugly, ugly punts, but they somehow went straight.

McKenna seemed more of a heart surgeon with the ball, everything had to be so perfect, remember though, this is all coming from glimpses shown in a different state.

Originally posted by MarkT

As an Essendon man it hurts to say it but McKenna was without doubt the best consistant kick for goal I have seen and Daicos the most mercurial.

But to answer this one I'll put in Hird.Lloyd should be but this is about the ultimate in pressure.
But in reality Lloyd is all about trying to finish it long before the final siren arrives.

im surprised not many people said nick davis....he is a great kick from 40+ m out.....

not disputing that lloyd is a great kick (deadly from inside 50), but if the shot was from around 50, i would nearly prefer nick davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you prefer take an after-the-siren kick for goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back