Who would you rather have, Nick Daicos or Sam Darcy?

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos on exposed form.

I am still firmly of the belief he is not an inside player and Collingwood is wasting his best attributes playing him on ball. Having him at the hawks and allowing him to play half back/wing would make our side unstoppable.

Darcy has shown glimpses, but we always seem to get sucked in when a tall forward dominates early. They either fail to make it, or take close to 10 years to actually fulfill their potential. Very few continue on an unobstructed trajectory

Callaghan and Andrew look like exceptional talents, but currently a fair bit behind the other 3 from a 'generational' perspective at least.

Callaghan is so much like Josh Kelly. Will be a gun for his entire career but will rarely be noticed or mentioned due to playing for GWS.
Andrew has a massive ceiling, but may also struggle for recognition like Callaghan for the same reasons.

"Generational" gets thrown around way too much
Same as real estate agents describing a cafe or a house as 'iconic' like the Eiffel Tower. Lance Franklin and Dustin Martin were generational players. They need to be well into their mature career or even retired before you can make the call on generational.

Darcy has shown glimpses, but we always seem to get sucked in when a tall forward dominates early. They either fail to make it, or take close to 10 years to actually fulfill their potential. Very few continue on an unobstructed trajectory
That's very true. Happens a lot.

The thing with Darcy though, is that he has swagger and mongrel in him. He thinks he is very good. He wants the ball. He already looks like he feels like he belongs out there.

They're traits that young talls don't often have.

If I compare him to say Max King. King fumbles a mark or gets spoiled and his facial expression and body language suggests an 'oh well, maybe next time' mentality. With Darcy, his facial expression and body language suggest he's legitimately shocked and pissed off that he didn't mark it.

The other thing with Darcy is that his skill and ability allows him to get some freedom away from the F50 if it's getting hard for him in there - which as you say, it will, as it always does for young talls.

Last edited:
Darcy looks fantastic and has a very high ceiling

However its a midfielders game these days and that doesn't look like changing soon. A dominant mid is the most influential player in the game. Daicos has started his career better than anyone I can remember and been watching for a long time.

I agree with the idea from earlier posts that Martin, Dusty, GAJ etc are the level you need in a generational player. Daicos is on that trajectory.

Daicos taken a contested mark yet?

Darcy for me. Don’t rate Nicky at all.
I love these comments. "I don't rate him at all". I would love to hear you justify this and the conditions you would apply to try and make it work even to yourself.

That's very true. Happens a lot.

The thing with Darcy though, is that he has swagger and mongrel in him. He thinks he is very good. He wants the ball. He already looks like he feels like he belongs out there.

They're traits that young talls don't often have.

If I compare him to say Max King. King fumbles a mark or gets spoiled and his facial expression and body language suggests an 'oh well, maybe next time'.mentality. With Darcy, his facial expression and body language suggest he's legitimately shocked and pissed off that he didn't mark it.

The other thing with Darcy is that his skill and ability allows him to get some freedom away from the F50 if it's getting hard for him in there - which as you say, it will, as it always does for young talls.
Agree with that.

But again, he has only shown glimpses.
Also being a tall forward, we often see teams try to turn a forward into something they aren't.
Even with franklin, after 2008, the hawks spent 3 years trying to bulk franklin up and make him a hulking key forward, and really cruelled what could've been an even more dominant period

1. Jason Horne-Frances
2. Sam Darcy
3. Finn Callaghan
4. Nick Daicos
5. Mac Andrew

That looks almost certain to be 5 generational players with the first 5 picks. Has this ever happened before? What other drafts challenge it?

2001 had a big first three but a not-so-great 4 & 5.
2004 had Deledio, Roughead, Griffen and Buddy, but pick #4 sticks out like a sore thumb.
2005 had Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, Xavier Ellis, Josh Kennedy and Scott Pendlebury. That will probably be the closest competition to 2021.
Yep but the top 10 from the 2020 draft is horrendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos for me. Darcy has played 1 amazing game, vs one of the worst backlines in the comp. Daicos is in the mix for the brownlow medal for the second straight year and he's only 21. Can't go wrong either way though.
KPPs take longer to develeop and Darcy is already 2nd in the league for contested marks (min 10 games).

He's going to be nigh on unstoppable by age 25 if he keeps developing on the same track.

1. Jason Horne-Frances
2. Sam Darcy
3. Finn Callaghan
4. Nick Daicos
5. Mac Andrew

That looks almost certain to be 5 generational players with the first 5 picks. Has this ever happened before? What other drafts challenge it?

2001 had a big first three but a not-so-great 4 & 5.
2004 had Deledio, Roughead, Griffen and Buddy, but pick #4 sticks out like a sore thumb.
2005 had Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, Xavier Ellis, Josh Kennedy and Scott Pendlebury. That will probably be the closest competition to 2021.

Even going beyond the top 5 there is so much quality in that draft.

Rachele, Amiss, NWM, JVR, Johnson, Wilmot, Lohmann, Macdonald, Owens, Curtis, Soligo and Roberts.
Guys like Ward, Gibcus, Aleer, Archer and Uwland etc have shown promise, just held back by injury/opportunity.

The MSD draft of the same year I can't see being topped.

Newcombe, Durham, Moyle, Peatling and Sharman.

2021 is going to go down as one of the best drafts ever. Maybe not 2001 quality but it's going to be close when we look back in 10 years.

Darcy looks fantastic and has a very high ceiling

However its a midfielders game these days and that doesn't look like changing soon. A dominant mid is the most influential player in the game. Daicos has started his career better than anyone I can remember and been watching for a long time.

I agree with the idea from earlier posts that Martin, Dusty, GAJ etc are the level you need in a generational player. Daicos is on that trajectory.

Take away the exceptional delivery that Darcy has been getting from an elite midfield (plus his 2 teammates arguably attracting the best defenders), then you may think twice about taking him over Daicos.

KPPs take longer to develeop and Darcy is already 2nd in the league for contested marks (min 10 games).

He's going to be nigh on unstoppable by age 25 if he keeps developing on the same track.
Sorry if my opinion offended you, I'm not saying Darcy isn't a terrific young star, i would just prefer Daicos if I had the choice, just my opinion mate

Sorry if my opinion offended you, I'm not saying Darcy isn't a terrific young star, i would just prefer Daicos if I had the choice, just my opinion mate
Can you run me through your thought process that reading my post got you to the point of apologising for thinking you've offended me? Genuinely curious. Do you realise this is a discussion forum? It's opinions back and forth.

My point was, the question in the OP is framed for the future, so exposed form isn't really the best argument to make. Especially when it's KPP vs mid. No issue people saying Daicos just don't really agree with your reasoning.

Contest possessions are a false metric.
Anyone who watches daicos can see he isn't in a contest most of the time, yet his stats say otherwise.
Same applies for marks. A mark on a lead is considered contested.
A mark where someone drops off their opponent and co.pletely mistimed a spoil without putting an ounce of pressure on is considered contested

Can you run me through your thought process that reading my post got you to the point of apologising for thinking you've offended me? Genuinely curious. Do you realise this is a discussion forum? It's opinions back and forth.

My point was, the question in the OP is framed for the future, so exposed form isn't really the best argument to make. Especially when it's KPP vs mid. No issue people saying Daicos just don't really agree with your reasoning.
His 2 best games have come in 90+ point wins against arguably the 2 worst teams in the comp, I expect him to turn one on in one of these finals but so far he hasn't dominated against great opposition. Is he the best young key position prospect? Yes, by a long shot. But I'm not taking him over a 21 year old generational talent mid. Curnow or Bont? Buddy or Ablett? More often then not you would take the mid over the key forward, give it 5 years and i may feel a different way but for now id take Daicos. But that's just my opinion.

Anyone who watches daicos can see he isn't in a contest most of the time, yet his stats say otherwise.
A mark where someone drops off their opponent and co.pletely mistimed a spoil without putting an ounce of pressure on is considered contested

This bolded part is incorrect if by that you mean all marks on leads are considered contested. Nick Daicos for example has 7 marks on leads in his career, but zero contested marks.

Darcy is a genuinely top end contested mark, you only have to watch him play to see that.

Wrong.

Contested mark - When a player takes a mark under physical pressure of an opponent or in a pack.

If you think contested marks are a worthless stat, I don't know what to tell you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you rather have, Nick Daicos or Sam Darcy?

Back