Who's Hot and Who's Not? 2009 Dream team smokies and duds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you read the NAB Cup Guide? Because your "must haves" and "smokies" are very similar to Mr Fantasy's.

I do like the "Dont get" section though. Nice idea.

no i havent read the NAB guide, but i have heard it is quite unhelpful and he doesnt have much knowledge, is that bad cause i got the same crap must haves?:p aww well we got no dt superstars at our school so they wont know.

I had to write a dream team article for my school and i didnt want to make it to complicated for everyone who was beginning so this is what i wrote, what are your thoughts?, of course i didnt give all my secrets away though;)

AFL DREAM TEAM YOUR PRE-SEASON GUIDE

As the new season begins the most important question is to Cousins or not to Cousins?

Must Haves:
Backs: Chad Cornes ($379,500), one of the most hated players in the AFL just racks them up, after being injured last year he looks cheap and ready to return to being the best dream team back man.
Midfield: Paul Haselby ($257,800), missed the whole of last year with a knee reconstruction, but when injury free could potentially score you an average of 80-85, a bargain.
Rucks: Hamish Mcintosh ($296,600), last year injury hampered him, but at his best he is a potential All-Australian ruckman. Comes cheap enough to take a risk on.
Forwards: Hayden Ballantyne ($86,600), has a slight injury now, but the reigning Sandover medalists kicked 75 goals in the WAFL last year and he will take the spot Jeff Farmer vacated last year. (May miss the round 1-3 due to a complication in wrist surgery)

Smokies:
Backs: Jed Adcock ($313,800), the newly appointed vice captain of the Brisbane lions has added responsibility after having a disappointing season by his lofty standards. Is a capable dream team scorer after a impressive 2007, can he replicate this?
Midfield: Ben Cousins ($364,000), hmmm, where do you start, 6 times All-Australian, Brownlow medalists, Wesley boy, but can he be as damaging as his former self? In 2005 and 2006 he averaged over 90 (92.3 and 96.5) so there is potential, too risky for me.
Rucks: Matthew Leuenberger ($191,700), the former number 4 draft pick has been touted as the next Dean Cox, he has shown glimpse, but in his third season must step up and realize his potential, boom or bust.
Forwards: Alan Didak ($420,500), the one of the most exciting players to watch in the AFL, but he has got to stay away from the grog if he is to step up and be a superstar day in day out.

Don’t Get!!!!
Backs: Mark Nicoski ($263,700), clearly has potential, but is as soft as they come in the AFL, may a score well one week, then scores badly for the next three.
Midfield: Chad Fletcher ($348,200), is past his best and is now a spent force, Daniel Kerr is cheaper than him!
Rucks: Jason Laycock ($222,400), the lanky bohem has struggled to make his presence felt at AFL, doesn’t quite make the mark. No thank you.
Forwards: Barry Hall ($355,600), yes he is a superstar, but he gets suspended too much to warrant a selection in your team, has been linked to a change in career from football to boxing and may change his allegiances anytime.

BY JOHN MORITZ

Haselby is returning after a knee reco he did pre season 12 months ago, it's consistantly shown players coming back from serious injury take a season to get their confidence and fitness back to reach their previous levels. For this reason IMO Haselby is a risk of low game time, low scores and spending odd games being rested from knee or general soreness.

Apply this train of thought to Nicoski, last year he was coming back from a serious ankle injury, the Eagles were terrible and the backline under the pump every week. The last four games of the season he played much better, has opened 2009 with a team high 28 touches and BOG.

Regarding Chad Cornes I had him in my squad initially but think he may take time to hit his straps in 2009, same with Cousins and Goodes. Better off picking fully fit guns and fully fit 2nd and 3rd year youngsters early on, make money on the kids and trade them for the guns who drop initially but come good after half a dozen games.

Sounds great in theory doesn't it:eek::p

Regarding Chad Cornes I had him in my squad initially but think he may take time to hit his straps in 2009, same with Cousins and Goodes. Better off picking fully fit guns and fully fit 2nd and 3rd year youngsters early on, make money on the kids and trade them for the guns who drop initially but come good after half a dozen games.

I heard Goodes was close to the Swans' best yesterday, and Cornes also played very well running through the middle.

Chad cornes is a must have
you will deeply regret not having him, might take rd1 to get going but after that he will be back to his former self
scored ok this weekend without playing the best game by the sounds of it as well

Update 1567:D

Essendon's Mark McVeigh got caught up in a tackle and has a badly twisted ankle, scans today, ended on crutches with a moon boot.

Gilham at Hawks hyper extended his knee trying to spoil Fev, looked bad but was seen walking the boundry after the game.

Birchell at Hawks did a hammie.

Campbell Brown rolled an ankle in the second quarter, did not return.

Gilham would be huge loss at Hawthorn with Croad still in rehab, Campbell Brown may be needed in defense but even he looks like he will be restricted for the balance of the preseason.

Update 1567:D

Essendon's Mark McVeigh got caught up in a tackle and has a badly twisted ankle, scans today, ended on crutches with a moon boot.

Gilham at Hawks hyper extended his knee trying to spoil Fev, looked bad but was seen walking the boundry after the game.

Birchell at Hawks did a hammie.

Campbell Brown rolled an ankle in the second quarter, did not return.

Gilham would be huge loss at Hawthorn with Croad still in rehab, Campbell Brown may be needed in defense but even he looks like he will be restricted for the balance of the preseason.

McVeigh is fine for the start of the season, and Birchall wasn't named on the injury list at the end of the match. Have to see if he's back next week, unless someone's heard something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the AFL site an article mentions Jesse Smith has hamstring soreness and will n0t lay this week.

Smith wasn't scheduled to play this week regardless, but obviously this isn't ideal. I echo the sentiments about not picking him, unfortunately he just gets injured over and over again.

McVeigh is fine for the start of the season, and Birchall wasn't named on the injury list at the end of the match. Have to see if he's back next week, unless someone's heard something?

This morning's Herald Sun said Birchall strained his hamstring late in the final quarter, though there was no mention of severity.

Saying birchalls done a hamstring is a bit misleading. That could be taken as a full blown 4-6 week injury, when in reality im pretty sure it was just a tweak and should be right in 1-2 weeks with him just easing off at training a bit. I might be wrong, but thats the impression i have got from what ive read.

What do you guys think? Any duds here? any obvious people i have left out?

B: C Cornes, B Houli, Malceski, m Rooke, G Urqhart, Petterd, A Raines, j grimes N Suban
M: Bartel, Abblett, J corey, J selwood, B Gibbs, Hasleby, D Rich, Liam Anthony
R: D Cox M kreuzer, J Spencer Jtippett
F: Richo, Giansiracusa, J Riewoldt, Veszpremi, N Krakouer, J Ziebell, Sidebottom, Mitch brown and i still need 1 more cheap player.

B: Hodge, C.Cornes, Drummond, Dempsey, Frawley, Raines, Hill - Shoenmakers, Cheney

C: Bartel, Ablett(c), Swan, Judd, Hasleby, Rich - Hartlett, Dangerfield

R: Cox, Kreuzer, Naitanui, Vickery.

F: Franklin, Didak, Lovett, Gamble, J. Riewoldt, Skipworth, Ziebell - Sidebottom, Walker

What you guys think?

Gun's with interupted pre seasons

Hodge, Lewis and Franklin - do we jump on these guys straight up or will they drop in value until they get match fitness?

D Kerr - has been running hard but is still icing his knee every training.

N Stevens - anyone have a skin fold test?:D

Lets hear the inside gos people!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsu:[/quote]

Can someone give me a list of players (with extent and description) that have had limited pre season and aren't expected to be fully fit for the start of the season.
Also, can someone give me a list of players that were troubled by injury last season and are fit and firing and ready for round 1.

Does anyone know a website with this information?

Gun's with interupted pre seasons

Hodge, Lewis and Franklin - do we jump on these guys straight up or will they drop in value until they get match fitness?

D Kerr - has been running hard but is still icing his knee every training.

N Stevens - anyone have a skin fold test?:D

Lets hear the inside gos people!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsu:

Can someone give me a list of players (with extent and description) that have had limited pre season and aren't expected to be fully fit for the start of the season.
Also, can someone give me a list of players that were troubled by injury last season and are fit and firing and ready for round 1.

Does anyone know a website with this information?[/quote]

The website you are looking for is bigfooty and you have to do the work yourself.

What do you guys think? Any duds here? any obvious people i have left out?

B: C Cornes, B Houli, Malceski, m Rooke, G Urqhart, Petterd, A Raines, j grimes N Suban
M: Bartel, Abblett, J corey, J selwood, B Gibbs, Hasleby, D Rich, Liam Anthony
R: D Cox M kreuzer, J Spencer Jtippett
F: Richo, Giansiracusa, J Riewoldt, Veszpremi, N Krakouer, J Ziebell, Sidebottom, Mitch brown and i still need 1 more cheap player.

Your backline is very avg.. I see one premium, your probably looking at 6 upgrades?

Your Midfield is too expensive... You have all of ABC from the start!!!
You then also have Selwood and Gibbs, pick one of ABC ditch the other two to cheaper players .Use the money on some of your backs/forwards. Perhaps play a rookie in your mids to give you that much needed money in your fwd and backline.

Your forwardline has 2 whole keepers thats 5 upgrades! Your playing 2 rookies, Krak who may not stay in the 22 and 2 second years and your still short a rookie. Dont start more than one rookie if your playing someone like Krak, you need to get a rookie upgraded to a premium you want 4 upgrades max IMO. Anymore and you'll never reach 22 premiums so AIm for 3 premiums to start with in this area, and only 1 fringe 22 player starting or your risking too much.

Just noticed this isnt even the DT teams thread.... Post it in the right one next time

How the hell hasnt Bernie Vince been mentioned? Has obviously had a great pre-season. Looking at some of his scores last year, he is more then capable of averaging atleast 80+

Could easilly be the Salopek of this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's Hot and Who's Not? 2009 Dream team smokies and duds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back