Why all the 'Saint Hate'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Violent Stool

Senior List
Jul 5, 2007
Mexico
Why is everyone so anti-Saints this year?

I can understand the Collingwood and Geelong fans having little tantrums that the Saints got up last night - they're shiit scared and are bitter cause they both thought they had the Dogs' measure.

But why everyone else?

Even Gary Lyon was slapping the desk in excitement last night when the Dogs kicked a goal. When he thought they were home, he started giggling like a giddy school girl.

Why is it so?

Is it jealousy?
If the Saints get up next week, they knock all bar one teams off for the unofficial title of Best Team Ever.

Is it the ugly duckling syndrome?
You know, the ugly kid that isn't a threat so everyone warms to them, but then they hit puberty and start getting all the chicks and suddenly everyone wants to bash them?

The underdog now the top dog?

Are Saints fans arrogant so everyone else hates their club in retaliation?

It's fascinating to watch. Throughout the year it has snowballed.

Now I'm reading they were lucky last night!!!! Lucky to win a Prelim final by 2 kicks against a side that they've now beaten 3 times over the year.

I guess it'll be even funnier it the Pies get up tonight. Who the hell are the footy public gonna barrack for then??!!!

I don't think the pies have either teams measure.

But for me because the Saints are cocky as hell and extremely blind after the match "OH IT WASNT THAT BAD"

Not sure what you're talking about really. People are always going to knock whichever team finishes first, it's called tall poppy syndrome. Having said that, generally I think neutrals have been very supportive of St. Kilda this year.

At the end of the day, I wanted to see a saints/cats GF....so I am happy they got the win. Bullies lost to West Coast on there own dung heap and that day showed how crap they can be. Were great last night but not great enough.

The doggies are everyones second team, I even felt a bit sorry for them after the game so I guess we were always going to cop a bit.
Most Saint supporters are just hoping with fingers crossed that we pull it off and I can't see the cockiness some on here are talking about.:confused:

i like the saints
i just barracked for the doggies last night because they deserved a flag. 1954 guys.
i'd rather the saints win the premiership next year and give geelong one more before they rot

Is it jealousy?
If the Saints get up next week, they knock all bar one teams off for the unofficial title of Best Team Ever.

no, if the Saints get up next week, they will have won two premierships.

best team ever? :rolleyes:

there's a few reasons why i don't believe the saints are popular, including them arguably being the original tankers and the whole milne thing - but the main reason is the lack of humility from their fans.

the dogs fans wanted this soooo badly last nite. the pies fans, and the geelong fans (even having just won a premiership 2 years ago) want it soooo bad - the saints fans, despite their team the most unsuccesful in vfl/afl history... well they just expected it.

there's been a lot of class shown on here and elsewhere since the match... but its easy to do it after the mach when you've won it. it would've been interesting if they'd lost i reckon...

Why is everyone so anti-Saints this year?

I can understand the Collingwood and Geelong fans having little tantrums that the Saints got up last night - they're shiit scared and are bitter cause they both thought they had the Dogs' measure.

But why everyone else?

Even Gary Lyon was slapping the desk in excitement last night when the Dogs kicked a goal. When he thought they were home, he started giggling like a giddy school girl.

Why is it so?

Is it jealousy?

Is it the ugly duckling syndrome?
You know, the ugly kid that isn't a threat so everyone warms to them, but then they hit puberty and start getting all the chicks and suddenly everyone wants to bash them?

The underdog now the top dog?

Are Saints fans arrogant so everyone else hates their club in retaliation?

It's fascinating to watch. Throughout the year it has snowballed.

Now I'm reading they were lucky last night!!!! Lucky to win a Prelim final by 2 kicks against a side that they've now beaten 3 times over the year.

I guess it'll be even funnier it the Pies get up tonight. Who the hell are the footy public gonna barrack for then??!!!
In a word or two, Stephen Milne. He is a cocky little maggot and if he was remotely as good as what he thinks he is then it would not be that bad.
I love saint Nick, he is a genuine star but Milne just annoys me and to see him happy just hurts to much.

I don't hate the St Kilda FC, just their supporters. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a word or two, Stephen Milne. He is a cocky little maggot and if he was remotely as good as what he thinks he is then it would not be that bad.
I love saint Nick, he is a genuine star but Milne just annoys me and to see him happy just hurts to much.
Seriously this is my reason but i think for most people it is because they are so bloody good, it is the Australian way to go for the underdog and hope that the favorite gets knocked down. Just don't mistake respect for hate.

I can't put my finger on it, I just don't like them. Never have. If Collingwood don't win tonight I certainly hope Geelong gives the Saints an absolute pantsing :)

Whereas the Hate for Collingwood ...everyone can put their finger on it :)

This right here.

Didn't really mind the Saints, it must've been heartbreaking for be a supporter for these past few decades, they probably deserve success after a staggeringly long wait, but geez, the supporters really don't make it easy to feel good for them.

I think the saints are unloved after last night becuase the dogs were probably the better team and the umps got the saints home, all the frees that thier captian gets is incredible, dont forget that Eagleton kicked a goal that they said was touched when replays show it wasnt, and then Reiwolt kicks a goal that was touched and they still gave it> In close games these things are crucial and I think it gets neutral supporters offside when the umpiring is one-sided so we end up going for the side being ripped off.

Because they were carrying on like they'd won the GF last night.

The players are aware the job's not done yet, right?

Personally, i find this a little hypocritical considering the contents on your signature - it also carries on like you'd won the grand final, but it was just anzac day.

Never been a massive fan of the Saints. Cant say I dislike them either.

But for footy lovers who are neither here nor there with them, a bloke called Stephen Milne makes it very easy for me to hate them. Something about him just screams w***er. I do recognise however that he is a very handy player for the Saints and always seems to bob up at crucial parts in any match.

I guess its the Cats for me followed by the Sainters. I respect the Pies but I just dont have the stomach for them winning a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why all the 'Saint Hate'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back