Why are Geelong so unbeatable at home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats ridiculous. We need to play all 11 home games at geelong. We need to stop being disadvantaged by playing our home games in front of opposition supporters.

And have you just used a phrase created by the worst hawk troll on bay 13? Seriously? Oh the shame.
Sarcasm and satire aren't really in your wheelhouse, are they Seeds?

There's still time to delete your post before most people see it.

Apologies if this point has already been made. 😎

AFAIK It’s quirky shape just wasn’t that atypical back in the dizzay due to several other venues having similar ground dimensions.

IIRC Subiaco, Football Park and Whitten/Western Oval all had the somewhat comparable long and narrow playing surfaces. 🤔

Is one of the Tasmanian AFL venues also similar?

Atypical?
Look up Adelaide Oval and GWS home ground

It's considerably longer and thinner than most AFL grounds (all except York park actually). Old Subiaco had similar dimensions, which kind of encouraged the running handballing game of the WA sides. Can't deny it's an advantage, but it's just one factor.

It's considerably longer and thinner than most AFL grounds (all except York park actually). Old Subiaco had similar dimensions, which kind of encouraged the running handballing game of the WA sides. Can't deny it's an advantage, but it's just one factor.
Agree, but as others posters have noted, it’s really only been seen as a “significant” advantage when we have been winning a vast majority of games at majority of grounds. I don’t think many bought it up pre 2007 when Geelong was “every 2nd favourite team” through lack of success.

That just proves my point the discrepancy is massive. If you were premiers I guess it could make sense but f me you finished 6th.

No it doesn’t. We were better than 50 per cent playing exclusively AWAY and we finished 6th with a win loss record two wins behind first.

Richmond - 12th
Melbourne - 16th
GWS - 18th
Port - 14th
Adelaide - 2nd, interstate
Sydney - 3rd, interstate
Bulldogs - 15th

You’re saying that it was the ground shape that allowed a 15-7 team to win those games 😂 - and one of the two teams that actually had some pedigree coming to Geelong actually has a good record there anyway and the ground has never been an issue for them.

Basically your argument is this: ‘in 2012 your ground shape beat Adelaide and not the natural advantage that comes with being a well performed, better-than-50-per-cent home team loaded with premiership players, playing in front of its home fans with voice of affirmation against a team from interstate who would eventually finish a whole 2 wins ahead of you for the season.’

Christ get a new hobby

No it doesn’t. We were better than 50 per cent playing exclusively AWAY and we finished 6th with a win loss record two wins behind first.

Richmond - 12th
Melbourne - 16th
GWS - 18th
Port - 14th
Adelaide - 2nd, interstate
Sydney - 3rd, interstate
Bulldogs - 15th

You’re saying that it was the ground shape that allowed a 15-7 team to win those games 😂 - and one of the two teams that actually had some pedigree coming to Geelong actually has a good record there anyway and the ground has never been an issue for them.

Basically your argument is this: ‘in 2012 your ground shape beat Adelaide and not the natural advantage that comes with being a well performed, better-than-50-per-cent home team loaded with premiership players, playing in front of its home fans with voice of affirmation against a team from interstate who would eventually finish a whole 2 wins ahead of you for the season.’

Christ get a new hobby
I can't be bothered doing the analysis but I daresay when most clubs records are > 50% win rate away from home and they are in the top 4, their home records are very, very strong.

Even the MCG tenants, who play each other - if one of them is very strong then their records at the G become stunningly good. Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn in their premiership years are prime examples.

I can't be bothered doing the analysis but I daresay when most clubs records are > 50% win rate away from home and they are in the top 4, their home records are very, very strong.

Even the MCG tenants, who play each other - if one of them is very strong then their records at the G become stunningly good. Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn in their premiership years are prime examples.

Exactly

Agree, but as others posters have noted, it’s really only been seen as a “significant” advantage when we have been winning a vast majority of games at majority of grounds. I don’t think many bought it up pre 2007 when Geelong was “every 2nd favourite team” through lack of success.
The Cats have never really bottomed out in the AFL era, and I think it's because even at their worse they won most games there. Definitely an advantage for the Eagles too, but we've been so bad it didn't make much difference in 22-23. Geelong have never been that bad in recent times they went into every home game underdogs

The Cats have never really bottomed out in the AFL era, and I think it's because even at their worse they won most games there. Definitely an advantage for the Eagles too, but we've been so bad it didn't make much difference in 22-23. Geelong have never been that bad in recent times they went into every home game underdogs
Well until you play everyone "Home and Away" or something more equitable, there will always be this type of discussion when a team is succesful.

Quick question to the last few Cats supporters on here. How did you start following Geelong? Born into it or chose it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are Geelong so unbeatable at home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back