Why are people tipping Essendon for the spoon??

Remove this Banner Ad

Embers

Cancelled
10k Posts
Apr 27, 2005
8th place
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Ham, Tony Pulis hat
What possible logic is there to say Essendon will win the spoon next year. Personally I think Essendon will win a spoon in the next 5 years, but with Fletcher Lloyd Lucas Hird still in the team there going to be playing finals footy for the next 2 years.

Lloyd is still the best FF in the game, he struggled this year after he came back from his broken arm but picked up at the end of the season. Lucas is a gun CHF, Essendon do have one of the best forward lines in the comp

There midfield is criticised but it still is quite good, Both Johnsons are handy, Essendon will probably pick up Nathan Jones in the draft, and Angus Monfries looks like he will be a very good player.

There defence with Dustin Fletcher in it is still very good, Kepler Bradley is probably one of the better developing defenders and Dean Solomon has shown with his jobs on Gehrig he can clearly hold down a key defensive post. There best 22 will look like.

Monfries Lloyd Lovett
Hird Lucas Rioli
Stanton J.Johnson McPhee
Camporeale Bradley Lovett-Murray
Solomon Fletcher Welsh
Hille Peverill M.Johnson
I/C McVeigh Laycock Nathan Jones (pick 7) Dyson
EMG Cole Heffernan Bolton

There by no means gonna win the flag or anything but to say there gonna win the spoon is stupid. I think there a team who is gonna sneak into the 8.

Kooley said:
if they keep taking all our players off our hands they are destined to win the spoon :p

Here is some trivia for you.
Carlton will have more ex-Essendon players on their list next year than Essendon will ex-Carlton players. :eek:

Embers said:
What possible logic is there to say Essendon will win the spoon next year. Personally I think Essendon will win a spoon in the next 5 years, but with Fletcher Lloyd Lucas Hird still in the team there going to be playing finals footy for the next 2 years.

Lloyd is still the best FF in the game, he struggled this year after he came back from his broken arm but picked up at the end of the season. Lucas is a gun CHF, Essendon do have one of the best forward lines in the comp

There midfield is criticised but it still is quite good, Both Johnsons are handy, Essendon will probably pick up Nathan Jones in the draft, and Angus Monfries looks like he will be a very good player.

There defence with Dustin Fletcher in it is still very good, Kepler Bradley is probably one of the better developing defenders and Dean Solomon has shown with his jobs on Gehrig he can clearly hold down a key defensive post. There best 22 will look like.

Monfries Lloyd Lovett
Hird Lucas Rioli
Stanton J.Johnson McPhee
Solomon Fletcher Welsh
Hille Peverill M.Johnson

There by no means gonna win the flag or anything but to say there gonna win the spoon is stupid. I think there a team who is gonna sneak into the 8.

Didn't most of these boys play this year?

Essendon believe they have a chance at a premiership with these boys ( Hird Lloyd, Lucas , Fletcher), and that's why they chased Crawford.

Personally, some of the listed players are vastly overrated (Lloyd and Lucas), and Essendon will require a re-building period to become a power again.

To find out why Essendon are being tipped for the spoon have a look at this year's ladder. I reckon there are still a couple of teams worse than Essendon going around (Carlton and Hawthorn) and with Sheedy at the helm I can't see them bottoming out completely.

Embers said:
There best 22 will look like.

Monfries Lloyd Lovett
Hird Lucas Rioli
Stanton J.Johnson McPhee
Solomon Fletcher Welsh
Hille Peverill M.Johnson

alot of people who post about essendon on bigfooty base it on their pure hatred of essendon and alot of them cant debate on the subject is some of the reasons for the wooden spoon predictions.

we could well get it, who knows but I think we are better than a couple of the other bottom sides.

onto the best 22 side I think the side will probably look more like this atm:

B: Solomon, Fletcher, Mcveigh
HB: Welsh, Bradley, Lovett-Murray
C: Camporeale, McPhee, Dyson
HF: Rioli, Lucas, M. Johnson
F: Hird, Lloyd, Lovett
R: Hille, J. Johnson, Stanton
Int: Laycock, Ramanauskas, Cole, Winderlich/monfries

Essendon's Best 22 is in the 6 to 8 range

It's Worst 22 is 16th - worst depth in the AFL for any club

Henneman, Reynolds :eek:

Get major injuries and they are rooted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allan
Alvey
Bolton
Bullen
Cartledge
Cupido
Haynes
Henneman
Hunt
Johns
Lee
Murphy
Nash
Reynolds
Thomas
Watson
Winderlich
Zantuck

all whom wouldn't get a game in the Best 22 of a Top 8 side

Tigger said:
Allan
Alvey
Bolton
Bullen
Cartledge
Cupido
Haynes
Henneman
Hunt
Johns
Lee
Murphy
Nash
Reynolds
Thomas
Watson
Winderlich
Zantuck

You have just named the worst 18 players on Essendon's 38 man list.

So only 2 of those players are getting a game in our best 22 - actually zero if you include the rookied Lovett Murray and Lovett.

Thanks for mentioning us as a top 8 side.

Tigger said:
Allan
Alvey
Bolton
Bullen
Cartledge
Cupido
Haynes
Henneman
Hunt
Johns
Lee
Murphy
Nash
Reynolds
Thomas
Watson
Winderlich
Zantuck

Nor would they get a game in our best 22, whats your point?? :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people tipping Essendon for the spoon??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back