Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not be the that guy but in the last 20 years we have won 2. It ain’t really on us….
That is true.

Now it's Sydney vs Brisbane In the grand final next weekend, you got a preferred side to win?

1st time in a long Time, I can sit back and relax and watch next week's grand final as a neutral

That is true.

Now it's Sydney vs Brisbane In the grand final next weekend, you got a preferred side to win?

1st time in a long Time, I can sit back and relax and watch next week's grand final as a neutral
I'm in the same boat.

I do hope you realise though, that most supporters of Vic clubs whose club isn't in the GF would passionately cheer on the non-Vic representative over the oppo Vic club.

I doubt there was a single non-Tiger Victorian hoping that Richmond would beat the Giants in 2019, and ditto that for non-Magpies with Brisbane last year.

Swans and Lions is a dream outcome for me when Richmond aren't competing. As would've been Crows vs Port, or Dockers vs Eagles.

Fair enough. Eagles 1992 and 1994 sides beat Geelong. I know, cats are not a Melbourne side that play home games at the MCG. But I can assume in 1992 the cats played more games in the MCG that year than the Eagles.

Crows beat the Saints in 1997 and North in 1998. Saints were a Waverly tenant but Played some games at the MCG. North in 1998 played many MCG games on a friday night that year, this was before the AFL decided to get smarter and Let Carlton, Collingwood , Essendon and Hawks play home games at the MCG on friday night for money reasons.
1997 St Kilda's home ground was Docklands and in 1998, the MCG was NM's home ground and they played all their home games there, except one at Manuka.
In 92, Geelong played just 1 home game at the MCG, 4 or 5 overall (WCE 3) and in 94, Geelong 4 (WCE 5). As you can see no big advantage for Geelong!

1997 St Kilda's home ground was Docklands and in 1998, the MCG was NM's home ground and they played all their home games there, except one at Manuka.
In 92, Geelong played just 1 home game at the MCG, 4 or 5 overall (WCE 3) and in 94, Geelong 4 (WCE 5). As you can see no big advantage for Geelong!
Saints home ground in 1997 was Waverly Park.

But yeah.... Glad each non vic side gets one game at the MCG each season.

That is true.

Brissy but only because if a friendly connection.

Both genuinely great teams (unlike every vic team this year) so good to know there will be a worthy winner without doubt.

I'm in the same boat.

I do hope you realise though, that most supporters of Vic clubs whose club isn't in the GF would passionately cheer on the non-Vic representative over the oppo Vic club.

I doubt there was a single non-Tiger Victorian hoping that Richmond would beat the Giants in 2019, and ditto that for non-Magpies with Brisbane last year.

Swans and Lions is a dream outcome for me when Richmond aren't competing. As would've been Crows vs Port, or Dockers vs Eagles.
I reckon the only scenario where I would be backing a non-Hawthorn Victorian side would be for one of the long suffering sides getting up (see the Bulldogs in 2016) but under general principle, you're spot on.

How much Fitzroy v South Melbourne shit will we have to endure this week? I'm sure we'll see stories about 89 year old Beryl from Brunswick who's been a lifelong Lions supporter or Barry the Bloods supporter having a pot (lol) in his local Albert Park pub....
What exactly is wrong with that? These are people who have supported the club and continue to support the club despite the fact they've moved halfway across the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much Fitzroy v South Melbourne shit will we have to endure this week? I'm sure we'll see stories about 89 year old Beryl from Brunswick who's been a lifelong Lions supporter or Barry the Bloods supporter having a pot (lol) in his local Albert Park pub....

I think there’s something wrong with you if that would annoy you…

Fair enough. You would of been more happier had Port won on the weekend

Imagine being a Sth or Roy fan all your life with a heap of family traditions and having it taken away from you? Yet these Victorian fans (some) have stayed loyal after the relocation. Let them be proud of the history and not forget where the roots came from for both of these sides. Nothing wrong with the media celebrating the rich history of both for one single week, Karen.

Victorian media will do anything to justify two interstate clubs playing a grand final in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back