Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I don't know if it's just being punch drunk from years of expectation but this year I can't seem to get enthused. 3 losses out of 4 pre season, Haze gets a bung knee, Bellie at arms length from the squad gee I just don't know. I look at the plus side, new coach, some great kids but I still can't get over joyed. Is this just a pre season downer or am I missing something. Please help !!

I don't know if it's just being punch drunk from years of expectation but this year I can't seem to get enthused. 3 losses out of 4 pre season, Haze gets a bung knee, Bellie at arms length from the squad gee I just don't know. I look at the plus side, new coach, some great kids but I still can't get over joyed. Is this just a pre season downer or am I missing something. Please help !!

I'm a bit the same. I don't expect a lot now, coz the more I expect the worse it gets. Having said that they'll probably come out and win the first 4 and then we'll be going ape !!!

I'm feeling a bit the same actually (not the kicked in the nuts part... that's physiologically not possible - but definitely metaphorically...).

We're off to Melbourne for the Easter weekend - but seriously not for the footy; that's just a fortunate by-product of ending up in Melbourne because we couldn't get better flights to Singapore or Sydney...

Looking forward to seeing some live footy - but not enthusiastically expectant / hopeful like I have been in the past. :(

yeh its been hard this season. I have been trying to remove all expectation but we'll see how we go.

I think I'll have a quiet one on the first saturday, just me and the mrs and a carton of beer.

I honestly think that last year people began deluding themselves into thinking that our woes last year were all the coaches fault. When Harvey was appointed began telling themselves that success was now inevitable. Now, after a mediocre pre-seaon, people are beginning to look at the big picture again.

As Harvey indicated in a interview on Seven news last night, some teams have waited 50+ years to win a flag. You can do everything possible to make a team successful but still find out that there is a bunch a guys who are just better. That's footy!

The appointment of a new coach generally bring out optimism in supporters, but their appointment also usually brings about a lowered expection for the season ahead. Coupled with our dissappointing result last season, it seems that most supporters are heading into the season with a more tempered optimism this year.

Looks to me that a lot of you are preparing yourselves to accept mediority, poor form people. A bit like Tarrant last year, many of you set the bar really low then when he had little impact you were able to accept that as a good season.

Nothing short of a finals appearance in 2008 will be acceptable. Hasleby was a big loss but we won 9 straight with Hasleby on one leg in 2006.

Looks to me that a lot of you are preparing yourselves to accept mediority, poor form people. A bit like Tarrant last year, many of you set the bar really low then when he had little impact you were able to accept that as a good season.

Nothing short of a finals appearance in 2008 will be acceptable. Hasleby was a big loss but we won 9 straight with Hasleby on one leg in 2006.

Tarrant seems a strange example. Most people expected a decent output from Tarrant as well as him taking the load of Pav and allowing him to dominate. That is what eventuated.

Your final eight acceptance mark seems to illustrate the point. You have clearly lowered the bar yourself. Last year anything less that top four was seen as unacceptable heading into the season.

Not accepting mediocrity are you Dom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarrant seems a strange example. Most people expected a decent output from Tarrant as well as him taking the load of Pav and allowing him to dominate. That is what eventuated.

Your final eight acceptance mark seems to illustrate the point. You have clearly lowered the bar yourself. Last year anything less that top four was seen as unacceptable heading into the season.

Not accepting mediocrity are you Dom?

How did he take the load off Pav? If Farmer kicks 33 goals this year will that be a good season and taking the load off Pav? So he took the second best defender, big deal. Stick Sandilands/Warnock in the goal square and the opposition will have to put someone on them, but they're not actually contributing unless they kick a few between the big sticks.

My expectations for 2008 are probably slightly lower than they were 12 months ago, but they have little to do with the pre-season. 12 months ago we had just come off a pre-lim and traded heavily so it was reasonable to expect atleast a pre-lim again. Even though deep down most of us knew we had a shit coach we thought that it was finally going to be our year.

After the disappointment of last season I still expect to make the 8 and win a final, but where finishing top four was required as a pass mark last year I think if we are playing on the second last Saturday in September in 2008 we will have had a very good year.

We haven't really addressed our key problems from last season - pace in the mid field and lack of a key defender. We'll get pace in the next couple of years, but we can't expect stuff to happen over night. if we make the 8 i'll count it a victory. And the jury is still out on Harvs thats for sure.

When hase went down I felt like giving up on this season. Plus the fact that other teams have 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players ready to explode while our cupboard is a little bare.

The concept of Mundy and Michael Johnson moving into the middle wouldv'e once seemed invigorating but now it reeks of rehashing the past of playing players out of position. Having Schammer and Peake coming back had me going for a while till I saw them play.

Do we even have a midfield? I don't know, it just seems like a collection of players who aren't in the backline or forward line. We've got some stoppers and guys who'll spend some time on a wing or the middle, but of true genuine followers, we have none. Headland and Heath Black always seemed to like they could be genuine medifielders. Blacky seems destined to continue on the half back line but Headland will get his chance.

What could get me excited is if Pav, Taz and the Wizz get the forward line chemistry going. These are all smart unselfish players and if they get some sort of mental telepathy (I had you till here right) going where they can bring the best out of each other I think everything will look a lot brighter.

How did he take the load off Pav? If Farmer kicks 33 goals this year will that be a good season and taking the load off Pav? So he took the second best defender, big deal. Stick Sandilands/Warnock in the goal square and the opposition will have to put someone on them, but they're not actually contributing unless they kick a few between the big sticks.

My expectations for 2008 are probably slightly lower than they were 12 months ago, but they have little to do with the pre-season. 12 months ago we had just come off a pre-lim and traded heavily so it was reasonable to expect atleast a pre-lim again. Even though deep down most of us knew we had a shit coach we thought that it was finally going to be our year.

After the disappointment of last season I still expect to make the 8 and win a final, but where finishing top four was required as a pass mark last year I think if we are playing on the second last Saturday in September in 2008 we will have had a very good year.

Comparing Farmer to Tarrant in terms of taking pressure off Pav is another strange move. Tarrant is a power forward, like Pav, whereas Farmer is a crumber. I thought that was pretty obvious.

You still seem keen to paint Tarrant as the major dissappointment of 07, perhaps as a means to have a vicarious dig at Connolly, but I think everyone here would agree that Farmer let us down a hell of a lot more.

Saying that "everyone knew we had a shit coach" but expected great things anyways just doesn't add up.

You obviously think we have a much better coach now, but admit that you've now lowered your expectations. Strange.

My 2 cents worth....

Deep down I know we are genuine chance, but this is definitely the flattest I have felt before a season.

That could have something to do with the fact I haven't yet seen my club play a game this season.....Listening to it on the radio just isn't the same thing.

IMO we will spend most of our time during the year in the top eight

I can see what you mean. I'm excited coz I've been waiting for aaaages for it to finally come back :) but also dreading it if it goes all wrong and our expectations aren't filled.

Just trying really hard not to get my hopes up, just in case I get kicked in the balls (METAPHORICALLY) again.

We haven't really addressed our key problems from last season - pace in the mid field and lack of a key defender. We'll get pace in the next couple of years, but we can't expect stuff to happen over night. if we make the 8 i'll count it a victory. And the jury is still out on Harvs thats for sure.
Enter Peake + Schammer with a full pre-season + injury free then theres some pace back in the old engine room.

Enter the invigerating youth of Palmer, the odd stint from Ibbo + the odd camio from Brock + Foster then things could get interesting.

Get a little more chemistry from Pav + Taz with a fresh purple jesus playing together for a year then things could get interesting.

Get some more gel between our fine back 6 that are developing then things could get tuffer for the opposition.

Add the hard nosed smarts of Harvey with his bullnosed sidekicks + the old seasoned campainers of the FFC then things go from interesting to exciting.

Let the first bounce come boys + girls when we have those nice pies for lunch,
Then + only then will we see the adrenalin pump through our purple veins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Can't I get Excited?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back