Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

28,000 on a long weekend isn't that bad. As has been said and is said everytime one of these threads is created, it's just a culture thing. Sporting attendances are rarely large in Sydney.

This is so. As others have noted NRL crowds are much lower and Super 14 attendances are going down every year.
The Swans game I must say is dead booring. I have lost interest going for entertainment alone and am no longer a member.

Wasnt the Sydney cup or something on yesterday?

28k on a long weekend, with 2 rugby games on and a big horse race...

Wasnt the Sydney cup or something on yesterday?

28k on a long weekend, with 2 rugby games on and a big horse race...

Indeed and there was the Super 14 - NSW Waratahs vs ACT Brumbies game last night at ANZ Stadium too. Overall the Swans got a decent crowd for a Saturday afternoon when you take all that into account. If they keep playing like they have thus far, watch out for a massive crowd against the Pies at ANZ Stadium mid season.

28000 is a good crowd for our boys at the SCG. It just is. Don't expect our home crowds to be similar to some of the Melbourne home crowds. As a general rule, a crowd of under 22000 is poor and over 30000 is a really good crowd. I would guess there will be over 30000 next week against Brissy.

28k is a good crowd and at the SCG that makes for a great atmosphere.

I'm personally happy we are not getting much out at ANZ anymore, cause all it does it help GWS and it is the biggest piece of shit of a stadium in the country. Horrible atmosphere and youre too far away from the action.

I hope we do what is right and make all our home games at our true home, the SCG, but yeh on the topic that was a good crowd and it will only get better throughout the year as we keep playing well.

You seem to be a rational Sydney supporter.

Can you tell me the financial implications of a 28K crowd at the SCG?

The Swans game I must say is dead booring. I have lost interest going for entertainment alone and am no longer a member.
Good riddance. An Evils fan complaining about another team being boring is laughable given your teams continued style of very defensive football. Mind you, when you have had such a crap forward line for so long I guess you have no other choice.

28.6 K against a team from the other side of the continent. With the Sydney Cup meeting held just up the road.

In comparison, the 2 NRL games in Sydney yesterday attracted crowds of 19k and 10k. Both these games were Sydney club "derbies" with no interstate clubs.

Yeah 19k which looked a sellout at Penrith against the Tigers and a Conulla Side who have had 1 win in 19 games over 2 seasons playing a Sydney side from Newcastle who are going just as bad a Cronull this season :rolleyes:

Nice spin.

They are sitting 4-1, yet only 28,000 show up to a game against their biggest rival

heard of Port Adelaide?

28,000 is quite a good attendance for them - in an AFL city

over 23,000 this weekend at AAMI. THAT is something i cant figure out. about 15,000 extra crows turn up at their home games! even after 4 straight losses.

Looks like theyre going for the big 24,000 average attendance again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

28,000 seems a pretty similar figure to what a lot of Victorian clubs pull against interstate sides (in fact, even higher).

Reflects where the Swans are at. A decent-sized club by Victorian standards, but will never approach the levels that a Perth or Adelaide team manages. Wouldn't expect them to, either. There are 8 other football clubs in Sydney that people can support.

heard of Port Adelaide?

28,000 is quite a good attendance for them - in an AFL city

over 23,000 this weekend at AAMI. THAT is something i cant figure out. about 15,000 extra crows turn up at their home games! even after 4 straight losses.

Looks like theyre going for the big 24,000 average attendance again.

The demographics and market exposure of Port Adelaide and Sydney are poles apart.

Melbourne stadiums are very well serviced with the public transport.

But I imagine that for most in Sydney, getting in and out of the SCG is just another sh1tfight in the car.

sydney and west coast aren't rivals anymore

sure they played some tight games a few years ago, but things have definitely changed....... for both sides

The Swans have a core support of 25-30,000. I think we can be pretty happy with that.

It may be a large city, but it has a traditional preference for Rugby League. Sydney is also quite different culturally from other cities. I think if the core support remains, I can't see a problem with that. Especially given the traditional antipathy from RL fans.

i think the swans would like to get 30,000 most weeks so not far off it.

The thing is the swans have a lot more supporters than a team like north, sure most of them answer surveys as supporting the swans and probably dont even know more than the colours of the side. But at least theres a large pool of potential supporters to try and convert and get along to games.

Where as north melbourne, i think you just dont have that many fans outside the group already following the club and there is not much to attract anyone else along, particularly in the market your in.

sydney and west coast aren't rivals anymore

sure they played some tight games a few years ago, but things have definitely changed....... for both sides

lol @ We're not rivals. You didn't see last year's game? The rivalry continues today mate. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back