Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

People in Sydney just don't care as much about sport as Melbourne folk.

Their rugby league crowds are even worse.

It's nothing to do with the swans not being exciting etc, it's just a cultural thing up here. I don't know what Sydney people do on their weekends, but sport is way down the list.
There was 36K at the rugby league today. Look for a big crowd next week in the Parra - Canterbury game.

There is a wider range of things to do in Sydney because of geography. It's still pretty warm this time of year, water temp is still over 20 degrees etc.

Not to mention there is a helluva lot of afternoon sport on Saturday afternoons at least (main reason that League hasnt been on saturday arvo's, bar the occasional match, for years).

Crowds in Sydney this week

40k to 1st ever super 14 game at anz. "derby" NSW v ACT
36k to the NRL's anzac equivalent to Ess/Coll
28K to Swans v WC
<all other NRL games>

They are sitting 4-1, yet only 28,000 show up to a game against their biggest rival in a city with a metropolitan population of 4.5 million.

They have champion players of the calibre of Goodes and Kirk, exciting youngsters and have maintained an excellent standard of on field performance, yet are still floundering in the attendance stakes. Why?

28,000, that's way too much for my liking Brad.
You just cannot drive your old Porsche into the ground anymore, it's outrageous old chap.
Still the AFL might bring the car back in when GWS come into the competition, and GWS are scheduled to play one of the boutique Melbourne based clubs.
Perhaps they could call it.

Two men and a Dodge round.:thumbsu:

30% more people prefer to go to Rugby Union than a Swans match?

That's not good.

Ok, you've made your point you're just out to rip on the Swans behind a very thinly layered attempt to be subtle.

Rugby is a far more entrenched sport in NSW than Aussie Rules is. And it was a game between the 2 most successful (historically) Aus. teams in the Tahs and Brumbies. And besides, a normal Tahs game the last few years has averaged about 20000 at the SFS. So in fact, more people on average have been going to Swans games than Tahs games.

You don't know a thing about Sydney crowds yet don't accept what us Sydney folk are telling you.

Ok, you've made your point you're just out to rip on the Swans behind a very thinly layered attempt to be subtle.

Rugby is a far more entrenched sport in NSW than Aussie Rules is. And it was a game between the 2 most successful (historically) Aus. teams in the Tahs and Brumbies. And besides, a normal Tahs game the last few years has averaged about 20000 at the SFS. So in fact, more people on average have been going to Swans games than Tahs games.

You don't know a thing about Sydney crowds yet don't accept what us Sydney folk are telling you.

He is what you call an ignorant troll, who thinks they know everything but they don't. ;)

If he wasn't a troll, he would have answered my questions about North Melbourne crowds, but he always avoids them.

Hence, it's also a deflection from their shitty home crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And 60% of 23K who turned up to see North eat another shit sandwich courtesy of the Swans were not even your supporters.

That's not good (if you're a North flog).

But like a typical troll that he is, he'll won't reply to that post of fact though. :thumbsu:

I think the bigger issue here is how a club that was relocated 30 years ago can have their supporters outnumber yours at your own home game and not for the first time either.

30% more people prefer to go to Rugby Union than a Swans match?

That's not good.

Are we allowed to mention Rugby League figures for a club not allowed to win games vs the attendance at your club in Melbourne too.... A smaller crowd than that Rugby union game, a smaller crowd than our game and larger than your games involving your fans only..... and ones propped up by a fair amount of Melbourne Swans too.

I dont want to make trouble with North fans like Zvim and snrub but the nonsense you are driveling on about is ridiculous, please actually make a point.

They are sitting 4-1, yet only 28,000 show up to a game against their biggest rival in a city with a metropolitan population of 4.5 million.

biggest rival? because they competed in a few close games?

the rivalry was between the teams, not the clubs. there was never going to be a lasting rivalry between the two clubs. there was nothing between them pre '05. it takes more than a few close games to get a rivalry going.

Another thing would be the fact Sydney have become a realtively successful club in the Roos Era so the demographic of it's fans are either old South Melbourne fans, People who don't like League in NSW and kids. In NSW schools kids are generally more fond of AFL then NRL as most find it more exciting. So when these kids grow up to around 20 in the next ten years or so I would expect the Attendances to boom a little. Plus Sydneysiders generally stay at home to watch sporting events.

generalising much?

28.6 K against a team from the other side of the continent. With the Sydney Cup meeting held just up the road.

In comparison, the 2 NRL games in Sydney yesterday attracted crowds of 19k and 10k. Both these games were Sydney club "derbies" with no interstate clubs.

FMD! definately the uninformed comments of a 'knowall'.

the Sydney Cup day is a blip on the radar here in Sydney - think of stakes day at the end of the Melbourne Cup Carnival - people have had enough of racing by this stage........the AJC have tried to turn it into a family day as well. Although there are some top quality G1 races (prolly the best of the carnival from a purists POV) on Cup day, the STCs Slipper at Rosehill and the AJCs Derby, Doncaster, & Oaks at Randwick in the prior weeks gets all the attention.

And do you know how big the region of GWS is? The bases of PENRITH & WESTS TIGERS (Campbelltown & the inner west) are 50km or about an hours drive from each other. the two clubs dont have any firm rivalry anyway. Still, id say 19k in a 21k capacity stadium isnt too bad.

furthermore, to consider a match between CRONULLA & NEWCASTLE played down in Woolooware as a derby really shows that you have NFI. it's a 3 hr drive for Knights fans FFS......and once again, the two clubs and its supporters dont have anything to constitute a rivalry...........apart from beach bogans arguing about which surf area has the better breaks.

28k for the Swans is a very good crowd.

;)

Sydney need to become the next Adelaide or West Coast and get their crowds up to 35,000 minimum.

Why?

I'm not having a go, i just want to know why you think this.

It will be very tough for that to happen with all the other sport that goes on in Winter in Sydney. I know it seems to be the excuse given every time but with more than half the NRL running out of Sydney, the S14 and the relative fair weathered nature of many sports fan in Sydney (ie. if their team isn't winning they will stay away, it is ****ing annoying being a Sydney guy sometimes, believe me).

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back