Why did Nathan Brown choose to go to Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Zeke
$100.jpg

x 5,000 p.a.

Originally posted by The Fireman
Yep there has been some crazy decisions made by players in the past but this a beauty,Brown must be thinking "what the hell have I done" as he walks down the race at the end of each game.
He picked the worst club, "BAD" career move.

Settle down Tiger. Your club hasn't had much to crow about over the past few years (you can actually add life to that with just the one premiership). You have a fantastic list now and are the envy of all clubs with the young kids that you have. Lets not forget however that these kids only ended up with the Sainters because of their inept efforts on the field over an extended period of time. Why did Hamill make his way to the Saints....$$$$$$$$!

Brown probably is regretting his decision but everyone knows that Frawley is not going to be coach next year and it will most likely be Wallace at the helm. The list certainly isn't the worst in the comp and with a bit of Wallace mongrel and a couple of early draft picks this year(following the St Kilda method which has proven so successful), we should have improvement. And to give credit where credit is due, he's one of the few that is putting in on a weekly basis.

Originally posted by nineteen eighty
Settle down Tiger. Your club hasn't had much to crow about over the past few years (you can actually add life to that with just the one premiership). You have a fantastic list now and are the envy of all clubs with the young kids that you have. Lets not forget however that these kids only ended up with the Sainters because of their inept efforts on the field over an extended period of time. Why did Hamill make his way to the Saints....$$$$$$$$!

Brown probably is regretting his decision but everyone knows that Frawley is not going to be coach next year and it will most likely be Wallace at the helm. The list certainly isn't the worst in the comp and with a bit of Wallace mongrel and a couple of early draft picks this year(following the St Kilda method which has proven so successful), we should have improvement. And to give credit where credit is due, he's one of the few that is putting in on a weekly basis.
Very, Very BAD career move. You can colour it as much as you like, there is no doubt you will get the picks that you are bagging the Saints for getting for your clubs "inept"effort but what happens if there is no talent around?? Brown would be rueing his decision now, surely.

He went for money, pretty obvious I'd have thought. Claimed he wanted to play finals there, the fact they have played finals in twenty years obviously escaped him.

And most Dogs fans now are not to fussed, don't get me wrong I hate the prick and think he's a better footballer then Rawlings, but Rawlings is the type of player we needed and helps our structure more then Brown

And Rawlings wanted to go to North simply because his brother was there

browns doing the same **** at another **** club

rubbish club where he is a standout

money hungry or else he'd be at essendon

Originally posted by itsintheblood
Hmmm.. more abuse. Is it a full moon again???

Understand your point but why on earth would he settle for the bulldogs?????

You do know that Rawlings was picked No 1 in the draft yeah? He didnt really have a choice

Originally posted by nineteen eighty
You have a fantastic list now and are the envy of all clubs with the young kids that you have. Lets not forget however that these kids only ended up with the Sainters because of their inept efforts on the field over an extended period of time

I am writing to you to help you dispel the myth the Saints have been gifted its current list.

Priority and High St.Kilda Draft Picks

Reiwoldt and Kosi (picks 1 and 2 in 2001) and Goddard (pick No 1 2002), four extremely good players were the only players on the list that couldn’t be picked up by other clubs, with Ball (pick No 2 2001) available to Hawthorn who chose Luke Hodge. All the other Saints players could have been drafted by a number of other clubs but they chose some other player.

Traded top ten Draft picks by the Saints

The only 2 first round draft picks over the past four years the Saints traded were No 4 in 2000 for Hamill (Carlton picked up Livingstone) and no 8 (and draft No.22) in 2002 for Brookes (a long term prospect for the Saints in ruck and a draft pick from Hawthorn for the Everitt deal).

So the Saints have kept their high draft picks and used them on young potentials over the past four years.

List of draft picks by the Saints (not priority or 1st /2nd picks - current playing seniors)

Lenny Hayes – pick 11 1998
Xavier Clarke – pick 5 2001
Nick Dal Santo – pick 13 2001
Matt McGuire – pick 21 2001
Aussie Jones – high 40’s 1994

Trades

Gehrig was traded for Sierokwiski and draft pick No 18 in 2000 (WC picked up Kerr).
Black was traded for draft pick #17 (J.Kelly)in 2001
Penny was traded for draft pick # 17 (C.Faulkener) in 2002
Powell in the preseason draft 2002.

Further trading from the Saints:

Players the Saints have picked up for DP's

2002 B.Brooks DP8 (S.Salopek) & DP35 (?)
2002 L.Penny DP17 (C.Faulkner)
2001 T.Knobel DP45 (Nathan Clarke ?)
2001 H.Black DP17 (J.Kelly)
2000 A.Hamill DP4 (L.Livingston)
2000 F.Gehrig DP18 (D.Kerr)
2000 S.Lawrence DP33 (M.Pike)

DP's the Saints have Picked up for players

2002 P.Everitt DP8 (B.Brooks) & DP22 (M.Ferguson)
2001 B.Hall DP13 (N.Dal Santo)
2000 D.Wakelin DP4 (A.Hamill)
1998 M.Lappin DP22 (J.Begley)

Top 5 draft pick allocations per team since 1998.

Fremantle - 7
Melbourne - 5
St.Kilda - 5
Collingwood - 4
Carlton – 4

Note that Carlton’s total includes the forfeited draft picks.
So apart from Reiwoldt, Kosi, Ball, and Goddard (a gift from Carlton) the rest of the clubs structure has been good trading or lower round draft picks.

So in essence the myth of the Saints being given all these players, is just that, a myth. Great recruiting, and looking at the long term is what the Saints are all about.

So nineteen eighty try not to be such a simple, ignorant, and stupid, and at least try to grasp the reality of the Saints current list.

Very, Very BAD career move. You can colour it as much as you like, there is no doubt you will get the picks that you are bagging the Saints for getting for your clubs "inept"effort but what happens if there is no talent around?? Brown would be rueing his decision now, surely.

Fioria (sic) - pick #3
Pettifer - pick #9
Traded pick #2 for Kane Johnson

Dal Santo - pick #13
McGuire - pick # 21

You be the judge of the Richmond trading of late.

Originally posted by Joffaboy
Fioria (sic) - pick #3
Pettifer - pick #9

Dal Santo - pick #13
McGuire - pick # 21

I'm not unhappy with Fiora. Starting to show a little and needs to put on a bit more bulk. Is a skillful player but has a long way to go.

Pettifer? Total Disarster and will go. Was one of the best footballers in the junior comps and has disappointed bitterley. Great reserves player though.

Kane Johnson... Jury is out but definately has talent and you dont play in 2 premierships if you haven't got it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep there has been some crazy decisions made by players in the past but this a beauty,Brown must be thinking "what the hell have I done" as he walks down the race at the end of each game.
He picked the worst club, "BAD" career move.

A bit like Hamill in his first 2 seasons at the saints hey fireman?

I am writing to you to help you dispel the myth the Saints have been gifted its current list.

Reiwoldt and Kosi (picks 1 and 2 in 2001) and Goddard (pick No 1 2002), four extremely good players were the only players on the list that couldn’t be picked up by other clubs, with Ball (pick No 2 2001) available to Hawthorn who chose Luke Hodge. All the other Saints players could have been drafted by a number of other clubs but they chose some other player.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...

At least as a Freo member I acknowledge that the way the draft system works is a significant reason Freo is doing well now. If we weren't so crap for so long it would have taken a lot longer.

So you ONLY got Ball, Reiwoldt, Ball and Goddard. Wowee, so thats only 4 more than likely stars (and the yet to impress IMO Kosi). Don't forget Clarke with pick 5. How did the geniuses of the St Kilda recruiting staff manage to pick such quality players with picks 1,2,1,2,5. Amazing! Sheer talent!

Hamill was traded for #4 pick as well.

So a large proportion of your teams talent (Ball, Goddard, Kosi, Riewoldt, Clarke and Hamill) came to the Saints for finishing in the bottom 4 consistently.

Face the fact that the system did 'give' the Saints the list they have and that was through being crap for so long. Gees, I know thats why Freo has Pav, Hasleby, J Lo...

Heard a funny story through one of the St Kilda players that Steve Baker was playing on Brown up the other end from the ball and his man Brown was verbally bagging his teammates as they criss crossed the field with their fairy 10 metre passes.

Originally posted by Lockyer24
Heard a funny story through one of the St Kilda players that Steve Baker was playing on Brown up the other end from the ball and his man Brown was verbally bagging his teammates as they criss crossed the field with their fairy 10 metre passes.

Yeah just like the rumour going around right now about tarrant bagging buckley's missus. You believe that one too?

Originally posted by Orangewhip
To give him some credit though; at least he still plays with heart come game time.

Agreed, but it's a shame he wouldn't do it last year.

I don't think Richmond are crap

2 things

1. morale/confidence is low
2. injuries

I reckon Richmond are NOT that diff to the side that was competitive in 2001/02

however confidence is shot, so is the team, same applies to collingwood in 2004 saints in 98/99, WCE under judge etc...

the players were making basic basic errors, and from a team that was roaring for 8 weeks last season, they've forgotten how to win.

Funny how people weren't saying that about Carlton in 2002 where similar circumstances from the above quote applied. Why?

The only 2 first round draft picks over the past four years the Saints traded were No 4 in 2000 for Hamill (Carlton picked up Livingstone) and no 8 (and draft No.22) in 2002 for Brookes (a long term prospect for the Saints in ruck and a draft pick from Hawthorn for the Everitt deal).

So the Saints have kept their high draft picks and used them on young potentials over the past four years.

List of draft picks by the Saints (not priority or 1st /2nd picks - current playing seniors)

Trades

Gehrig was traded for Sierokwiski and draft pick No 18 in 2000 (WC picked up Kerr).
Black was traded for draft pick #17 (J.Kelly)in 2001
Penny was traded for draft pick # 17 (C.Faulkener) in 2002
Powell in the preseason draft 2002.

Further trading from the Saints:

Players the Saints have picked up for DP's

2002 B.Brooks DP8 (S.Salopek) & DP35 (?)
2002 L.Penny DP17 (C.Faulkner)
2001 T.Knobel DP45 (Nathan Clarke ?)
2001 H.Black DP17 (J.Kelly)
2000 A.Hamill DP4 (L.Livingston)
2000 F.Gehrig DP18 (D.Kerr)
2000 S.Lawrence DP33 (M.Pike)

DP's the Saints have Picked up for players

2002 P.Everitt DP8 (B.Brooks) & DP22 (M.Ferguson)
2001 B.Hall DP13 (N.Dal Santo)
2000 D.Wakelin DP4 (A.Hamill)
1998 M.Lappin DP22 (J.Begley)

Top 5 draft pick allocations per team since 1998.

Fremantle - 7
Melbourne - 5
St.Kilda - 5
Collingwood - 4
Carlton – 4

Note that Carlton’s total includes the forfeited draft picks.
So apart from Reiwoldt, Kosi, Ball, and Goddard (a gift from Carlton) the rest of the clubs structure has been good trading or lower round draft picks.

So in essence the myth of the Saints being given all these players, is just that, a myth. Great recruiting, and looking at the long term is what the Saints are all about.

So nineteen eighty try not to be such a simple, ignorant, and stupid, and at least try to grasp the reality of the Saints current list.

There's no doubt that the saints do & SHOULD have a crop of good young players because you've had a lot of high picks but unlike some others I don't hold that against you. You got them under the same system as every other teams works. If you finish on or near the bottom for years on end then the whole point of the draft is weighed in your favor to try to even up the comp. Personally I'd rather my team were competitive every year & were in the top half but if they do happen to fall to the bottom then they will have the same opportunities in the draft. Having made the most of one of the equalising tools (the draft) your next challenge may be tackleing the other one (the salary cap). The Caps designed to restrict the amout of top level players you can afford & if the kids keep going the way they have been then its difficult to see you retaining all of them.

As for Brown, I can't see how Essendon could possibly have come close to affording him & Carlton would be more than happy with picking up Stephens (without giving up anything). He's a very good player but its not that easy to find a spare 1/2 mil in the cap to afford him

Originally posted by OB1
There's no doubt that the saints do & SHOULD have a crop of good young players because you've had a lot of high picks but unlike some others I don't hold that against you. You got them under the same system as every other teams works. If you finish on or near the bottom for years on end then the whole point of the draft is weighed in your favor to try to even up the comp. Personally I'd rather my team were competitive every year & were in the top half but if they do happen to fall to the bottom then they will have the same opportunities in the draft. Having made the most of one of the equalising tools (the draft) your next challenge may be tackleing the other one (the salary cap). The Caps designed to restrict the amout of top level players you can afford & if the kids keep going the way they have been then its difficult to see you retaining all of them.

As for Brown, I can't see how Essendon could possibly have come close to affording him & Carlton would be more than happy with picking up Stephens (without giving up anything). He's a very good player but its not that easy to find a spare 1/2 mil in the cap to afford him

Excellent post. Brown was restricted to what clubs he could go to. Richmond were able to both afford him, and had the picks available to trade.

am writing to you to help you dispel the myth the Saints have been gifted its current list.

Crickey So you guys had 3 top 5 draft picks in 2001? Thats a good effort. How did you get them?? I am a tiger supporter and i am interseted in doing what st kilda have done definatly. Getting good youngsters definatly.

U traded barry hall but got gehrig so thats not a real loss its pretty even.

2001 was ur best year picking up mcguire,ball,clarke,kosi

Pfffft....

...get off the wacky **** Joffaboy.

St Kilda are only good now because of the dead set incompetence of the club in recent years. St Kilda putting together a good crop of young players with the picks they've been gifted by the AFL has been like shooting fish in a barrell.

You mention blokes like Ferguson (who?) and Brookes as brilliant choices for trading away guys like Everitt....only one problem - they're not getting a game you arse clown. The blokes the side is built around - Riewoldt, Ball, Goddard, Kositzke, Clarke were gifts. G-I-F-T-S. Thought i'd spell that out for you, as you clearly suffer from a learning disability, or an inability to comprehend logic.

Going somewhere with them is another matter, given the failures of previous eras with stars such as Lockett, Loewe, Harvey, Winmar, Burke, Everitt, Smith, Jones, Lappin, Brown etc etc.

Interesting that the saints have played only 1 game away from Telstra Dome this year (pre-season included) Won't hold them in good stead for the onset of winter, or the prospect of finals/interstate footy against quality opponents.

So Joffaboy, back to the kitchen fat boy. You ignorant Peter Garret wannabe.

Fioria (sic) - pick #3
Pettifer - pick #9

Dal Santo - pick #13
McGuire - pick # 21

What makes the Fiora pick hurt more for Tiger fans is that Pavlich was next pick.

StKilda have recruited well and have been compensated for the loss of Hall, Everitt etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did Nathan Brown choose to go to Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back