Why didn't they toss for the Rooms??

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by MarkT

? Still got me??
You mean the MCG contract? That's gonna solve all the issues?
Glad your club has so few issues to be resolved.

Yeah, the MCC thingy among others. Its demise will coincide famously with the tail end of a radical demographic shift that awaits Australia over the next few decades, after which a 30 round, 16 club AFL will emerge, evenly and profitably spread across our great land, so that even the GF will be moved around the country each year, Super Bowl style. By then everything'll be just right with no sniping and whining....a verily paradisial state of affairs they will be :D [end dream...thud!]

Originally posted by Roylion
Try $550,000.
That's still an extra Brownlow medal winning midfielder!

We will have it cut out to hang on to Nick Davis at year's end, especially now that we have made the Grand Final and that the Swanettes have so much carrot to dangle in front of the young gun.

Yet you cry-babies whinge about which fricken room we are in...waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by FIGJAM
We will have it cut out to hang on to Nick Davis at year's end, especially now that we have made the Grand Final and that the Swanettes have so much carrot to dangle in front of the young gun.
Gawd - why would you want to?

Yet you cry-babies whinge about which fricken room we are in...waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
[Dave]Tissue?[/Dave]

In reference to the title of this thread.....

They did toss for the rooms.....

The Pies were the bigger tossers :D

chop

What a joke. If anyone was going to be able to just choose changerooms, it should be the Lions as the currently higher ranked side.

Where do the AFl get off allowing this to happen? Its OK to have a coin toss every other year to decide this stuff, but now they've decided to give the Vic club -another- bonus? What a joke.

That's still an extra Brownlow medal winning midfielder!

It's actually about $14,500 per player and with only 25% of our list from Queensland and no mechanism to increase the local content on our list, comparable to other AFL clubs, it's more than justified. Without it, both the Swans and the Lions are at a disadvantage compared with other clubs in football states. It's not a gift from the AFL either. The money still has to be found by the Lions.

Well I'd ask what players in the last six years have gone to Brisbane because the club has had more money in their salary cap to dangle in front of their noses?

There's been quite a few going the other way. Shane O'Bree and Nathan Buckley ring any bells? Rory Hilton?

John Barker and Jarrod Molloy just a name a couple of others left the club because they wanted to return home. The club resolved to trade them rather than lose them for nothing, as they did with Hilton and O'Bree.

In the future....Des Headland? There's also been mutterings about Luke Power returning "home", as his family is in Melbourne. Beau McDonald, Daniel Bradshaw and Tim Notting are also possibilities to return "home" after their contract expires. It's a continual problem when 75% of your list is recruited from interstate, purely because the club is located in a state that is a non-football state.

The Lions also had to trade Matthew Clarke to the Crows solely because of salary cap pressures.

Actually the only complaints Matthews had is that the Lions were under the impression the choice of rooms were going to be tossed for, as of last year.

Apparently not.

Whatever the result of the toss, we'd be happy to accept.

I wonder how the Lions can possibly win this game.

With the Southern Stand dressing room the Lions will have the sun in their eyes as they run on to the ground.

The interchange players will be exhausted as they have to run all the way across the ground to get to the interchange bench.

And the colour scheme in the rooms apparently clashes with their jumpers.

And they will be so far away from the commentators the biased media might ignore them!

Originally posted by Lionel Lyon
Hey, are you authorized to make these kinds of offers? Just wondering...
I wish I was so you sooks would shut the heck up!

Roylion, the extra money could be used by the Pies just as much as the Lions. I can't be bothered working out the percentage, but we have a fair whack of our players come from interstate. We have had to battle to keep the likes of Buckley, Burns, Lockyer et al for years and we are most likely going to have one hell of a time trying to hang onto Nick Davis and Alan Didak, who both remain uncontracted. They are our two most highly skilled youngsters!

The interstate clubs are in a slightly differect boat, but they are not alone at sea!!

It's actually about $14,500 per player and with only 25% of our list from Queensland and no mechanism to increase the local content on our list, comparable to other AFL clubs, it's more than justified. Without it, both the Swans and the Lions are at a disadvantage compared with other clubs in football states. It's not a gift from the AFL either. The money still has to be found by the Lions.
You can theorise all you want but you do not pay each player $14,500 more to keep them you pay the base payments for the lower rung players and you pay your stars more. That is what it is used for and there are contracts lodged with the AFL which contain all the details. There is no misconception within the football industry about that. If clubs like North were not blackmailed by the AFL they would be bleating about it. Why do you think they are happy for Eddie & Co to run the argument? They are not able to because the agenda driven AFL have sewn their lips shut.

As for the money being found by the Lions, how will they cover their loss? Who will fund that? I could easily mount an argument that clubs like North have to pay less to their players because they get less from the AFL dividend because money goes to developing States' teams to fund salary cap extension payments to keep starts. In other words North pays their players less so you can pay yours more.

As I have said an numerous occasions I have no problem with funding development or even a fair system of compensation for displaced interstater's but to ignore the inequity in the current arrangement and complain about everything else (I'm not referring to the irrelevant rooms issue) is simply an example of the ignorant bias that people like Mathews and supporters on here accuse Vic. clubs and my club in particular of every other day. Equity, like charity, begins at home.

Well I'd ask what players in the last six years have gone to Brisbane because the club has had more money in their salary cap to dangle in front of their noses?

There's been quite a few going the other way. Shane O'Bree and Nathan Buckley ring any bells? Rory Hilton?

John Barker and Jarrod Molloy just a name a couple of others left the club because they wanted to return home. The club resolved to trade them rather than lose them for nothing, as they did with Hilton and O'Bree.
We could ignore your arbitary start date and begin with Capper, Richardson, Raines, Williams, Merrit and co or move forward to Lynch, McCormack, Clayton and a few pre merger Fitzroy plunderrings or we could look at Lambert, Michael.

You can complain all you like about Buckley but the fact is you signed him on a contract which guranteed his clearance after drafting a player who made no secret of his intentions. You got to choose two players outside the top 10 and got a draft pick. As for the others who left it is a pretty small list- perhaps smaller than any other club. I would think Essendon possibly have more players at the Power than Brisbane have playing senior football at the rest of the clubs combined.

I wish Essendon still had Wanganeen and Hardwick. We lost these two players due to 'homesickness' and the salary cap respectively.

Does the extra money in the salary cap for Brisbane have to be used on a local player or can they use it for interstate players if there are no suitable local players?

Every club is made up of players from without Australia. We all have difficulty in retaining players at our club that want to return home. Yet Brisbane and Sydney are the only beneficeries of this "strange" rule. And you cant tell me that the salaries that players get these days wouldn't make it easier to settle into their new climate. Absolute joke of a rule. The AFL have no concept of fairness any more. It's purely corporate now and whoever can squeeze the biggest dollar seems to field the best teams. I know it's a dog eat dog world out there, but surely sport should be performed on an even keel. Too many advantages and disadvantages these days that no-one really knows where there competition is heading.
I become more and more frustrated every year with the inconsistencies with the AFL that I'm not far off quitting following it altogether. Of course I will always keep an eye on my Catters, but it is just too rigged to follow it with all your passion these days. When we play on an even field, or should I say if, only then will the game return to the people.
And to all the Brisbane Lions and Sydney fans - put yourself in our shoes for one second - how would you feel if you were only allowed to pay your players less than all of the other clubs? I know it's a great deal for your footy club, so of course you will support it, but really, is this fair? You can't tell me that it is. Just another AFL unwritten law to make the interstate club stronger at the detriment of the Victorian clubs. Fine, be in our competition, but why all the favours? We had to earn our place in this competition for over 100 years, yet you can walk in with all the concessions from the AFL to ensure you will be a success before too long. Lets just look at the figures shall we - 92,94,97,98,01 flags to interstate sides. Each of these sides have been given a leg up at some stage. Not good enough. These flags have been gifted to you to ensure the national competition succeeds. Not the right way to go about it IMO. Sure, be in our comp, but all the favours along the way are just getting a little long in the tooth now.
There is no doubt the AFL has their love childs, and unless you are one of them, look out because extinction is on the way - the AFL's grand plan doesn't allow for this many teams in Victoria.

Cheers
TW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine causes of concern that deserve a coach to speak out would be more along the lines of your club being gifted an extra million bucks a year so that you can retain three Brownlow medalist midfielders in your salary cap...with ease. That's the real issue of fairness here!!

We don't get "gifted" any money at all. Likewise, the the allowance is roughly half of the figure you've stated. At any rate, if your own club (via A.McAllister), hadn't been so pro-active in trying to push teams like Fitzroy out to promote a national competition, you may not be facing the current situation that you are now.

I tend to think all the excitement of the GF has gone to your head. Take a leaf out of Brodie's book and go and relieve yourself.

So if Collingwood played Brisbane at the Gabba in any of the first 3 weeks of the finals, we should be able to kick Brisbane out of their rooms after all finals are run by the AFL and therefore the ground is neutral.
Collingwood use those rooms each week so we should have the rights to them. Brisbane wouldnt let us have their changerooms if we played a final up there.

Originally posted by piefan2002
Collingwood use those rooms each week so we should have the rights to them. Brisbane wouldnt let us have their changerooms if we played a final up there.

It's an entirely different situation. The GF isn't a home game, whereas, a final at the Gabba is. Therefore, there is a different rule for each case.

Originally posted by Stocka
I never knew Collingwood was such a complex club.
You don't know the half of it. Complex? More complex power struggles than the Democrates. And that is just the cheersquad.

Originally posted by Stocka
It's an entirely different situation. The GF isn't a home game, whereas, a final at the Gabba is. Therefore, there is a different rule for each case.
No finals are home games. A club may have a right to play at their home ground but they are not home games. That is why the Power scoreboard attendant was an issue and why Eddie whinged about it. It seems the AFL have taken the liberty of allowing teams who's ground the game is played at to use their "home" rooms. Hardly a big deal but not really in the rules as such. Nothing new in that.

Traditionally the participating clubs toss for the rooms, the shorts and the team which will run onto the ground first. The venue for the toss is at the Carbine Lunch.

hotham

Boo freaken hoo Matthews you whining old git!

I'll pose this question...how many times have the Brisbane Lions entity got changed in the Northern Stand rooms?? I'd suggest close to, if not, none!

Are they not therefore getting the benefit of changing in the rooms they are most familiar with?

I'd be happy to change it over now to shut the cry baby up!!

its a legitimate point.

Its always done by toss at the Carbine Club luncheon.

Any Collingwood win will now be further tarnished.;)

Originally posted by Lionel Lyon

The problem is that here he's getting more than his fair share. On what grounds do they just treat this as a Collingwood home game?

We beat Port in the first week of the final therefore taking their number 1 ranking. We qualified first for the GF therefore, its our preference.

Originally posted by MarkT

No finals are home games. A club may have a right to play at their home ground but they are not home games. That is why the Power scoreboard attendant was an issue and why Eddie whinged about it. It seems the AFL have taken the liberty of allowing teams who's ground the game is played at to use their "home" rooms. Hardly a big deal but not really in the rules as such. Nothing new in that.

Yes, but if you have the right to a host a final at your home ground, then you also have the rights to assume the normal protocol that goes with 'hosting' a game at your home ground. The GF, however, is played at the same ground, no matter who is playing.

I did think it was interesting to note, however, that you mentioned Eddie's little whinge earlier on, while most other Collingwood supporters seem to be focusing on Matthews' comments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why didn't they toss for the Rooms??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back