Why do some people take an instant aversion to Rugby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasnt a instant aversion, i played RA-RA for a couple of years as a kid, but for me , next to footy its as boring as bat sh1t.

Its a pity the AFL is so short sighted and has little to no interest in promoting footy overseas, so we could have some international competition--------apart from international rules.

Where rugby, soccer etc have it over footy, is in the international arena, sad really.

Most of the international promotion of OZ rules is left to a few overworked unpaid voluteers, with very little help from the AFL. I think it would be fantastic to see OZ play other countries seriously in rules football, but im pretty sure it wont happen in my lifetime.

Having played Union - it isnt boring having your face griound into the dirt - but Rugby belongs in NSW - leave it there - hey isnt that where the Swans come from.

:rolleyes:

Hey - I reckon watching your (note the correct use of 'your', Ricky) face ground into the dirt would be quite entertaining!

Rugby is not a particularly exciting game but it has a lot of tradition, hence is dominant in a lot of countries, such as the British Isles, France and NZ, as well as in NSW and Qld.

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
It's mainly that round thing when the really tall big guys appear to stick their heads up the really big, short, thugy guys arses.

Sounds like the Sydney Swans to me.:D

When people who are brought up on a game that is multi-dimensional with a vast array of different skills see a RL game, they don't understand it.

It's sort of like going backwards:

Can't pass the ball forward, can't be offside, no screamers, no bouncing, not much really. Can't play if you're tall and skinny tec etc.

RL just doesn't match up.

I like a little Rugby, but I am not really a huge fan of it, sure I'll watch it, but I am not a big supporter of it like I am AFL. Some games are very boring, but some of the others are good though.

RL can be fantastic, if you support a team. Watching Nathan Blacklock and Anthony Mundine in the same team was amazing!

Union....well they lost me when they took the games off free to air tv. I used to watch it all the time, but hardly have since.

Originally posted by Winmar

Union....well they lost me when they took the games off free to air tv. I used to watch it all the time, but hardly have since.

No way, i never miss Rugbyzone on seven (during the footy show ad breaks :D) Rugby Union is awesome and the world cup will be huge...

Don't like league because of the lack of continuity in the game (five tackles and kick becomes more than a little monotonous)
The lack of support for the Storm and the short-lived Adelaide franchise exemplifies the lack of support in the southern states for league.

However, if Melbourne or an Allied Southern States Super12 team were to be set up, IMO it would be a huge success. Super12 comp has much more money and is hugely popular in all three nations involved.

The Allied concept is bulldust and will never ever ever work... (exception being West Indies, but thats out of neccesity for cricketing countries to succeed - very different)

I would not watch the Storm, or Union, or and Allied team, i have watched a few games of rugby and am not interested in the slightest, and would change the channel on the tv or radio if rugby came up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, take it or leave it. Although apparently the league team I jumped on for god knows what reason is actually winning some games now. Go Penrith!

If you're talking about league, its because its a crappola game played by around 10 ppl worldwide outside of Qld and NSW.

IF we're talking Union - well its an awesome game to watch live and looks good on TV. So no natural aversion then...

Winmar

Originally posted by Winmar
RL can be fantastic, if you support a team. Watching Nathan Blacklock and Anthony Mundine in the same team was amazing!

You have hit the nail on the head....that's what its all about....having a team......and knowing the rules..

Having a team brings out the passion for the game....and obviously all people on this message board have an afl team which they are passionate about but just can;t grasp the fact that you can grow to love other footy codes as well, and support and enjoy a team from another code just as much as your afl team.

Cheers

Union isn't bad as it's still a pure and flowing game.

League - may as well have boofheads repeatedly running into a brick wall.

Neither has the speed nor skills of AFL to keep me interested long enough.

Re: Winmar

knowing the rules

There are rules in League...?!? I thought it was just one big game of British Bulldog!!!

So unless you follow a team with passion (or obsession?) you can't enjoy League. Hence, it's not a particularly enjoyable game to watch to the impartial observer.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
When people who are brought up on a game that is multi-dimensional with a vast array of different skills see a RL game, they don't understand it.

It's sort of like going backwards:

Can't pass the ball forward, can't be offside, no screamers, no bouncing, not much really. Can't play if you're tall and skinny tec etc.

RL just doesn't match up.

That's a really good way of putting it, actually.

When I first watched a rugby match, I sat down having NO idea what the point of the game was, and it wasn't till I'd watched for a while that I got the general idea. It made more sense to me then :p and I guess I can understand that if this was the only 'football' a person knew for most of their young life then perhaps it would be interesting and exciting to them, but every time I watch a match I'll admit I do get bored by it because I prefer the flow of an Aussie Rules match and the great marks and clever little goals and stuff. There's just more to get excited about. :D

Having said all that I'm a Victorian who's been raised completely on VFL/AFL, and never even watched a rugby match till my adult years, sooooooo I'm probably biased. ;) But there's my opinion. I don't have any kind of 'instant aversion' to rugby I just don't find it as interesting as Aussie Rules.

Originally posted by NMWBloods
Hey - I reckon watching your (note the correct use of 'your', Ricky) face ground into the dirt would be quite entertaining!

Rugby is not a particularly exciting game but it has a lot of tradition, hence is dominant in a lot of countries, such as the British Isles, France and NZ, as well as in NSW and Qld.

Dominant?? Its only dominant in one country of over 50,000 population and that is NZ.
RU is no where near dominant in NSW and QLD, and as for the other countries it is dwarfed by Soccer to such a large extent it defies words.

True - really shouldn't have used dominant as you are absolutely correct. I was thinking more from a different direction - what are the key countries that play rugby, rather than what do those countries play mainly.

Re: Winmar

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
You have hit the nail on the head....that's what its all about....having a team......and knowing the rules..

Having a team brings out the passion for the game....and obviously all people on this message board have an afl team which they are passionate about but just can;t grasp the fact that you can grow to love other footy codes as well

Why is it only rugby fans that post shYte like this? Namely you ms storm.

I'd say at least 20% to 30% of people here follow a soccer team, yet I've never seen any soccer fan in here whinge when somebody says soccer is 'crap and boring'.

Are you thick ms storm?

Re: Re: Winmar

Originally posted by M29
Why is it only rugby fans that post shYte like this? Namely you ms storm.

I'd say at least 20% to 30% of people here follow a soccer team, yet I've never seen any soccer fan in here whinge when somebody says soccer is 'crap and boring'.

Are you thick ms storm?

I'm a soccer man as well.....I used to only ever care about AFL and Cricket.... but as I love all sport I will watch just about everything... but I can honestly say Rugby League and Union would have to be 2 of the most boring games ever invented by man. Absolutely no skill needed whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do some people take an instant aversion to Rugby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back