romanwfw

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2005
The spirit never dies
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Southampton rocks
The deal's been done and Bucks will coach next year, MM obviously isn't happy, Eddie's in a hole, what's the answer??

Im sure Bucks really has a great passion for the club, it really wouldn't be that hard for him to say, "Hey Eddie, I know we have a contract but it looks like Mickey is doing a great job, I'm happy to be assistant coach until MM is ready to leave."

Before Eddie's sheep go bleeting on about contracts and agreements, dont tell me that if Bucks said he'd step aside, that Eddie wouldn't have a new agreement written up in about 10seconds.

After all, isn't the greatest interest and continued success of a football club greater than the personal ambitions of one man???

Why should he?

He could have coached elsewhere, Eddie didn't want him to and gave him a contract accordingly.

Im sure Bucks really has a great passion for the club, it really wouldn't be that hard for him to say, "Hey Eddie, I know we have a contract but it looks like Mickey is doing a great job, I'm happy to be assistant coach until MM is ready to leave."

That's not outside the realms of possibility IMO.

If Collingwood win the Premiership this year, I think Mick Malthouse should remain as Head Coach for the 2012 season (provided that he still wants to, of course). If the Pies do take the flag again this year, Malthouse, Buckley and McGuire should have the sense to realise that Mick remaining in the lead role is probably the best thing for everyone (again, provided that Mick still wants to do it), and alter the existing contract accordingly.

All that being said though, do we really need another thread on the Collingwood coaching situation?

Why should he?

He could have coached elsewhere, Eddie didn't want him to and gave him a contract accordingly.

I'm just saying that if Bucks really has the best interest of the club in his heart it would be very magnaminous of him to step aside

unless he thinks that he can do a better job than MM, which 99.9% of the footy public doubt

Who is to say the greatest interest and continued success of the football club wasn't/isn't what this agreement was all about?

Eddie has always done what is best for the club, he has never put personal ambitions and emotions first. He could have easily buckled many times over the years and stand down due to all the rubbish he kept receiving from the media, could have easily sacked Malthouse countless times after a decade without the ultimate success, could have easily walked away when things were looking to become "too hard" and had a shitload on his plate to juggle.

The arrangement is what it is. One premiership has been delivered, potentially another to be added.

The deal's been done and Bucks will coach next year, MM obviously isn't happy, Eddie's in a hole, what's the answer??
As one Collingwood supporter ingeniously pointed out in another thread, will Ratten hand over the coaching role to Malthouse in the interests of the Carlton football club next year? I'm not sure you are being realistic

I'm pretty sure the answer isn't Nathan going home to his wife and telling her he's giving up millions of dollars because Mick is doing such a great job..

How would that conversation go down with your wife? Hey sweetie I've been offered a prestigious job worth millions of dollars to us but I'm not going to take it because the current boss even though he is pushing 60 is doing a great job..

Try that one on her :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As one Collingwood supporter ingeniously pointed out in another thread, will Ratten hand over the coaching role to Malthouse in the interests of the Carlton football club next year? I'm not sure you are being realistic

I'm been very realistic, MM doesn't want to coach at Carlton, he wants to coach at Collingwood and he's clearly not happy at the thought of stepping aside

Aside from any agreements that were made previously and I'm sure they were made with the best of intentions by all parties concerned, but now that things have transpired the way they have, it would be hard for Bucks to step into the role now that one flage, and potentially, a 2nd one of the way

BTw, the mrs is a hardcore pie supporter and these are the exact words she quoted to me "I dont care who's coaching as long as we win flags"

In that light, maybe i should change the thread to, who's going to be a better coach for Collingwood in 2012: Bucks or MM??

not_this_shit_again.jpg

People need to remember that this contract was made when Buckley was being chased by a few clubs (north/Richmond?). MM had been at the pies for close to 10 years and hadn't achieved a premiership by this point. So Eddie made this contract to keep all parties happy, Mick would have another few years to get a flag and for bucks to stay at the pies and coach after that. Bucks could easily be in his 2nd-3rd year as senior coach at another club.

People need to remember that this contract was made when Buckley was being chased by a few clubs (north/Richmond?). MM had been at the pies for close to 10 years and hadn't achieved a premiership by this point. So Eddie made this contract to keep all parties happy, Mick would have another few years to get a flag and for bucks to stay at the pies and coach after that. Bucks could easily be in his 2nd-3rd year as senior coach at another club.

Yep, yep, yep all good but read the OP again

It was all signed happily 2years ago, but now the goal posts have changed, as a business you should be flexible to changes in times bad AND good

My reaction is somewhere between this and giving a sensible answer.

But can you imagine Buckley saying 'Hey, I'm going let the chance to coach a premiership team pass me by, just to give someone else the chance to do so ???'

Realistically, you're asking him to wait until the team is no longer capable of winning a flag to take over... This is nearly the perfect time for him to take over... he won't pass it up, his ego (and also his brain - I'm sure he understands this situation) won't let him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why doesn't Bucks stand aside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back