Expansion Why don't Sydney NRL fans go to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

because sydney people are lazy, the qld teams keep the average higher. Melbourne is doing there bit, and so is canberra and Auckland.

But its funny though at origin and finals the people turn up.

People in Melbourne predominantly ask each other what school you went to, and what team you 'barrack' for. That is how people are pigeonholed.

People in Sydney predominantly ask each other where they live and what they do for a living (ie how much wedge you have got). That is how people are pigeonholed.

That isn't knocking either city, that is how it it.

People in Melbourne predominantly ask each other what school you went to, and what team you 'barrack' for. That is how people are pigeonholed.

People in Sydney predominantly ask each other where they live and what they do for a living (ie how much wedge you have got). That is how people are pigeonholed.

That isn't knocking either city, that is how it it.
Fair call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't the NRL boys 'king hit' girls.

Pretty tough them Thugby boys huh.

Weak pricks.
One weak excuse for a human being did. I don't know how it is fair to tar everyone with the same brush, I mean I know that not every AFL player/fan is an adulterous (is that a word), drug-using, lying, women beating, cop abusing arrogant w***er.

As for Sydney fans not attending games - its something that even I cannot answer despite being a supporter of a Sydney team and having season tickets for several years.

So you're saying Sydney rl people are lazy !

Got that Ronin . You're lazy !!!!

:p

Sydney people are lazy, no doubt about it. Why go to a game on a Saturday night when you have 4 games on back to back (including U/20's game).

That said, I don't think it is a stretch to argue that the setup that Melbourne has where all the games are played in a central location, that is serviced good public transport, sure shiates over the situation in Sydney.

Try driving from Manly or Cronulla to Penrith and back to watch a game. Sure, it is an excuse, but it is still a nightmare.

What is a realistic figure for the NRL ANZAC day match at ANZ this year? Especially considering the amount of rain Sydney has had, and is expected to continue to have. Furthermore, why has it been moved from SFS to ANZ?

But its funny though at origin and finals the people turn up.

Really? The 2006 Third Qualifying Final at Olympic Park between Canterbury and Canberra had 14,628 people turn up. I realise it was an aberration, but still, the O&M grand final drew more than the NRL qualifier.

and Lauren Jackson (Worlds best basketballer)

Lol, just because she played for the Canberra Capitals doesn't make her from Canberra anymore than James Hird being from Essendon. She was born and raised in Albury, for the record.

...That said, I don't think it is a stretch to argue that the setup that Melbourne has where all the games are played in a central location, that is serviced good public transport, sure shiates over the situation in Sydney....
But this ignores 140 years of history! Its only been in the last 10 years that "all the games are played in a central location". Go back before then, and most games in Melbourne were played in various suburban locations, some being hard to get too - and none more so than Waverley Park, which was horrendous to get into and away from, with virtually no public transport.

Up until 1965 only 9 H&A games were at the MCG (Melbourne FC home games only - the rest were scattered around these suburban locations. However, back then, and for well over 100 years the crowds were still much bigger than rugby crowds in Sydney -
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/afl_index.html

And not just in Melbourne but the much smaller cities, as the SANFL crowds often exceeded the rugby, and even the WAFL was close.

So it seems it isn't the city thats the real issue here - its the game. Australian Football gets the spectators in much more than rugby does.

Ah well, i work with 2 NRL maniacs, ones an Eels supporter, ones a Manly supporter. They both watch their teams religiously on the TV week in and week out, but when i ask them, "Why don't you go to the games?", they just shrug their shoulders and they don't really have an answer for it.

I've been to both NRL and AFL games, and i can definately say that NRL to watch live, despite being a close game doesn't hold a candle to a close AFL game live.

Reasons? Just the nature of the game overall. You can turn the ball over in your forward line and 15 seconds later the through a quick succession of play the ball can be in your forward line for a goal. NRL, is vastly different. Unless you get a line break or whatever, you can't score as easily.

The game is made to look worse when you have the whole state lobbying to get Souths back into the comp but yet they still only draw less than 10k to games in a stadium that holds 80+. :thumbsdown:

And when West Sydney V Sydney at ANZ gets 80,000 for AFL they will still be sitting on their hands the stupid muppets.:D

RL is in the pits because no-one cares enough for it, Aussie rules fans take pride in the game they love and they SUPPORT IT. Probably because it's AUSTRALIAN.:p

But Sydney Swans fans who follow Australian Football in Sydney
seem to have no problem getting to games especially Homebush
which is more difficult to get to than the SCG .

:p
Homebush would be easier to get to for the majority of greater sydney. It is serviced by a train station and a free bus service to areas where there is a lot of fans.

SCG is a nightmare for most, there is no bus service/train station. We drive 25+ kms to get there.

If i had my way all sat night games would be at homebush and sunday arvos at the scg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Why don't Sydney NRL fans go to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back