Why has GWS done much better than Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS were also a year later.
Had the ability to look at the mistakes GC made and adjust accordingly.

Looking back, the Gold Coast didn't seem to be doing too badly in their early years. While they finished last in 2011 at 3-19 and second last in 2012 again with 3-19, this was a very young side being established. It was always going to be tough in the early going. In 2013 the Suns improved to be 8-14 with many competitive losses and Ablett won a Brownlow, and the Gold Coast looked to be making the finals in 2014, before crippling injuries caused them to miss out but at 10-12 it was nearly break even.

But when the GC sacked foundation coach Guy McKenna at the end of 2014, things ran off the rails and nothing has gone right nearly a decade on. Had the Suns stuck with McKenna who seemed to be doing a good job building his team, I'm pretty sure the Suns would have been able to make the finals around 2015, 2016 or 2017. I doubt they would have won a premiership, but I also believe they wouldn't be playing their 14th season with no finals.

175px-Gary_Ablett_2017.2.jpg
What did GWS do instead of going the marquee option?

That's part of the answer right there.

The other part is that the GC is a holiday resort in paradise.

It's a bit of a graveyard for all sports franchises that have tried to go there, no?

Reckon that pampered party/paradise/LA type lifestyle is probably detrimental to building a hard nosed gritty/resilent culture like they have done in Western Sydney.
Yep. 100%.

What did GWS do instead of going the marquee option?

That's part of the answer right there.

The other part is that the GC is a holiday resort in paradise.
Created a club culture instead of a ME first one....

Out of all the recruits taken, Phil Davis and Callan Ward were leaps and bounds above anyone else because they created the professionalism from day one that we see today

Created a club culture instead of a ME first one....

Out of all the recruits taken, Phil Davis and Callan Ward were leaps and bounds above anyone else because they created the professionalism from day one that we see today
Yep. That's exactly what I was referring to a few comments back.

Leadership. Whether by design or by luck, GWS had strong leaders around at the formation of the club while GC didn’t.

A lot of GWS’s mature recruits were finished as players, but were there as leaders to guide a list full of teenagers who know nothing about the AFL and success.

Who did Gold Coast have? Ablett? Campbell Brown? They actually had anti-leaders. The rot set in there and is still to be fixed.

GWS were set up way better. It's not even close. It covers coaches, admins, concessions, facilities, recruitment of experienced players.

As for this year, Hardwick is assessing players, imbedding a new plan and went with young talent on purpose. Most rounds Suns have the youngest line-up or are the youngest top 1-3.

IMO, Hardwick also made some questionable calls on players roles, game strategies.

Mostly mental issues on road. Inability to convert, not taking opportunities cost them regularly.

Suns struggle to execute under pressure.

Let's see next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why has GWS done much better than Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back