Why have the Olympics lost their appeal, or have they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sort of makes sense for a sprinter. He's not going to win the yellow, but Olympic road race is usually pretty flat so Cavendish could well be favourite. I haven't been paying attention, was he ahead of Sagan for the green when he pulled out of the tour?

From what the commentators have been saying during the tour this years olympics road race is actually one for the climbers over the sprinters, Its meant to be a pretty hard course.

Sagan had/has a massive lead in the green (over 100).

From what the commentators have been saying during the tour this years olympics road race is actually one for the climbers over the sprinters, Its meant to be a pretty hard course.

Sagan had/has a massive lead in the green (over 100).
Thanks. That makes sense I guess, Rio isn't known for being the flattest city on the planet.

Agree with others in the thread, if an Olympic gold medal isn't the highest possible achievement for a sport, it shouldn't be at the Games.

I like the Olympics when they're on. For two weeks you get to become an expert in a sport you've never heard of. Love the classic track and field and swimming events for how they put absolute raw human physical ability on show.

That said, give me the winter games over summer any day.

i have vague recollections of Moscow (mainly the bear and the song), LA is the first one I can remember actually watching events and being excited when Australia actually managed to win a gold. Three or four in an entire Games would pull us up back then.

There was about 40 students at our primary school who all went into the library and watch dean lukin win gold in the LA Olympics. Aparantly the eastern blok boycotted the american olympics, lukin stood no chance if their weight lifters competed.

Some racist idiot will probably come in say the Russians were all on steroids. Well Lukin was known drug producer on the Eyre peninsular.

For me the Track and Field is the real Olympics. I was watching this weekend's athletics from the Olympic Stadium in London and it got me in the mood for Rio.

The hush of the crowd as the 100m athletes are about to start.
A full house hand-clapping a triple jumper down the runway.
The drama of the relay races.
Usain Bolt powering round a bend.

Amazingly Kendra Harrison broke the women's 100 metres hurdles final that stood for 28 years but she didn't make the US team.

That was awesome. Remember he won but couldn't remember the race or how young he was

The after race interview was gold. Kid couldn't believe what he'd just done and there was a sort of purity to it that you don't see now

Ah yes, Jon Sieben, how could I forget. Don't think they even mentioned his name until the last seconds of that race, watching that again

To be fair it wasn't until the last seconds that he was in the frame for a medal even let alone win it. Flew home on that final lap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically i'll only be watching the basketball and soccer at the Olympics, couldn't give a stuff about the swimming or track and field crap anymore

Why is that ironic?

The basketball should be ok. Missing a bunch of stars overall but Australia has a shot at a medal. Swimming is a bit boring but I'll watch some of it. I don't mind the track cycling. Does the Aussie track team have many to watch out for? Canada has some strong sprinters, particularly De Grasse. They got disqualified from 3rd place in London so I'm hoping the 4x100 can do well.

Ironically i'll only be watching the basketball and soccer at the Olympics, couldn't give a stuff about the swimming or track and field crap anymore

Why is that ironic?

The basketball should be ok. Missing a bunch of stars overall but Australia has a shot at a medal. Swimming is a bit boring but I'll watch some of it. I don't mind the track cycling. Does the Aussie track team have many to watch out for? Canada has some strong sprinters, particularly De Grasse. They got disqualified from 3rd place in London so I'm hoping the 4x100 can do well.

i think its ironic cause basketball and soccer/football feature paid athletes, and for these sports the Os arent the pinnacle of their pursuits.

Can anyone tell me if the Americans have finally found a sprinter, who wins medals at Olympics, that has never failed a drug test?

They probably were, and how would it be racist to say so?

Do you remember the movie rocky 4 where they portrayed the Russians as drug cheats?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/mar/13/australia.usa

Sylvester Stallone has been charged with importing vials of a banned human growth hormone into Australia.

Only someone pretty fukked in the head would make movies criticizing other cultures for drug use when you were in fact a drug trafficker.

Last edited:
Did lol at America, apparently wanted their team to come out near to last to improve ratings.

Yeah they will be coming out alphabetically as to the host country's native language.

NBC not America.

A chunk of stuff is scheduled to happen in their prime time as they pay comfortably the most for TV rights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why have the Olympics lost their appeal, or have they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back