Why is Cyril Rioli so highly rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's extremely effective for a player who has such a high percentage of his possessions contested. He's a big goal assist player. He's a goal kicker. He's probably the best tackler in the game. He can go into the middle and win a clearance. He's unselfish and also a smart player.

If it weren't for the hamstrings Rioli would be a full-time midfielder by now, so it's a shame we'll probably never see what might have been, but what we'll get is good enough anyway.
But top 5?

Has the engine, just not the hamstrings. It's similar to what Adam Cooney has experienced with his knee. He had/has a chronic knee condition which wouldn't allow him to play in the middle. Rioli has a similar problem, but with hamstrings.

Well hopefully he can get them right.

Touching wood, Dempsey had the worst hammies in the comp, but seems to be moving on now.

As I said earlier, Rioli is not the fastest runner in the game, but can do incredible things with his agility. Jetta had a head start, and Goodes bumps Rioli off his line at the start. Forgot to mention that? .... whoopsie

I was refering to the bit at the end where he cracks the shits and does the usual undisciplined Hawk thing and gives away a boneheaded free kick

Interesting to read how they do it - Cyril definitely does impact positively on pretty much any passage he's involved in, but I do think it's a stretch to say he's top 5. Bit of this maybe ...

Not top 5 but really fun to watch and can be a game winner. It's not Rioli's fault that the commentators are stupid about him eg 'only Cyril could do that' type of comment. Sometime they have a point, but often it is something quite a few other players can do.:rolleyes:

... you see it with other players too, of course. I saw a beautiful example last year (?) with Judd. Runs to receive a handball, runs 10m, passes it 20m to a teammate on the lead. Cue Bruce 'Not many players could do that' :oops:

Also, seconding on the muscle fibres - interesting.

When is he next out of contract? That will determine how highly rated he is by his peers.

If it's at Cloke/Buddy levels of holding out to assess the bids then we'll know he's rated.

If his new contract announcement pops up in pre or mid-season with little fanfare and little or no media speculation about how much of Hawthorn's cap his new deal took up then we'll know he's not rated as a top, top player.

As I said earlier, Rioli is not the fastest runner in the game, but can do incredible things with his agility. Jetta had a head start, and Goodes bumps Rioli off his line at the start. Forgot to mention that? .... whoopsie

Jetta had to bounce the ball and keep eyes up field for an option. Pretty bad Rioli didnt catch him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When is he next out of contract? That will determine how highly rated he is by his peers.

I think until the end of 2014?

Anyhow, there is no way he should be infront of Mitchell or Buddy and nor at number 5 at this stage. He still needs to be a little more consistent for mine to be rated in the top 5.

Around 20 would be about right imo...

People seem to forget that this system was developed then the stats imputed producing a list of players in order. They didn't know it would spit out Cyril at 5. But he's rated at 5 in this rating system. Does anyone think this system is the definitive rating system though? No of course not. But looking though the list it's not bad, certainly better than most.

He's extremely effective for a player who has such a high percentage of his possessions contested. He's a big goal assist player. He's a goal kicker. He's probably the best tackler in the game. He can go into the middle and win a clearance. He's unselfish and also a smart player.

If it weren't for the hamstrings Rioli would be a full-time midfielder by now, so it's a shame we'll probably never see what might have been, but what we'll get is good enough anyway.

no he wouldn't, he's never had the stamina from day one.
Just on "great assists player" he's been top 5 in goal assists two years straight but never before this period.

Potentially awesome player, has it all but his biggest issue is inside his own head and it gets the better of him more often than not.

no he wouldn't, he's never had the stamina from day one.

Yes he has, but increased midfield time invariably leads to hamstring troubles.

Just on "great assists player" he's been top 5 in goal assists two years straight but never before this period.
Well of course never before that period, before that he was just a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year player.

1st in average goal assists in 2011
2nd in total goal assists 2012.

Potentially awesome player, has it all but his biggest issue is inside his own head

Odd thing to say, he's one of the smarter football brains in the comp.

but increased midfield time invariably leads to hamstring troubles.

That is a classic Hodgepodgism. Are you referring specifically to Cyril or all midfielders? If the latter, back it up. I think you'll find some player are just more susceptible to hamstring problems, like Paul Chapman at Geelong, and his issues first surfaced when he was playing forward.

He may be under or over rated, I really don't know.
I do really enjoy watching him and I'd have him at Freo in a flash.

Hope his hamstring comes good asap.

C'mon, man. Did a Geelong supporter really have to start this thread?? We're going to have about 6 pages on Selwood ducking now.
I hate to be an arseh*le because I actually have a lot of time for Geelong, but he was the reason Hawthorn beat us. Unfortunately Brady Rawlings had to retire at some point. Just hang on and let me get my breath after saying that.

Awesome another bash Cyril thread. He has to be the most bagged player on Bigfooty.

Whilst he may not be a top 5 player in the league, I do think that he is a top 10-20. He is the most dangerous player in the league when within 10 metres of the ball. Often he will beat out 2 opposition players and win the ball.

Before getting injured he was in our top 3 players this year, and well on his way to another AA and another top 5 B&F finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back