Why is our interstate record so bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Petrie,

F*** me, he looks like a baby giraffe, show some strength in the contest and don't let your opponent make you look as weak as piss, and dont carry on about missed free kicks, use your experience and strength and take the mark the first time.

In three games when the heat was on Petrie has gone long down the wing from the backline, only for the ball to come straight back over his head for a goal within 30 seconds. Vs Westcast, Vs Adelaide, and now Vs Adelaide again. We need a leader who actually has a footy brain ffs.

How was Hansen with 1.30 remaining on the wing - no body contact and he runs under the ball and missed the mark? He's clearly choked, or he squibbed it.

Gibson is a great runner and ballwinner, but its a worry when a bloke who kicks backwards more than forwards is our 2nd highest possession winner for the year.

What a year, so bad, my poor nine year old kid is asking why we barrack for the roos.

A strong club would not accept it and would have an entire review of the club from top to bottom. Our pres. reckons its not a wasted year, and our coach says we just need to fix some things.

Problem started with Harvey getting rubbed out last year - this was tolerated and spun to say it would do him no harm and we would be better for it. The right response was to say, you were selfish and undisciplined and you can sit out another game as a club penalty. Then Brad Scott whinged bc the roof wasn't closed against the Cats and lost his shit at the officials. This should not have been tolerated and he should have been put reprimanded by the club for poor sportsmanship but instead our President on the Footy Show also had a whinge and a sook. Then Lindsay Thomas gets rubbed out for a stupid headbutt - the club needed to keep him on the sidelines for another week or fine him (like Carlton with J Waite) to teach him and the team a lesson that ill discipline will not be tolerated.

Speaking of Petrie,

F*** me, he looks like a baby giraffe, show some strength in the contest and don't let your opponent make you look as weak as piss, and dont carry on about missed free kicks, use your experience and strength and take the mark the first time.

In three games when the heat was on Petrie has gone long down the wing from the backline, only for the ball to come straight back over his head for a goal within 30 seconds. Vs Westcast, Vs Adelaide, and now Vs Adelaide again. We need a leader who actually has a footy brain ffs.

How was Hansen with 1.30 remaining on the wing - no body contact and he runs under the ball and missed the mark? He's clearly choked, or he squibbed it.

Gibson is a great runner and ballwinner, but its a worry when a bloke who kicks backwards more than forwards is our 2nd highest possession winner for the year.

What a year, so bad, my poor nine year old kid is asking why we barrack for the roos.

A strong club would not accept it and would have an entire review of the club from top to bottom. Our pres. reckons its not a wasted year, and our coach says we just need to fix some things.

Problem started with Harvey getting rubbed out last year - this was tolerated and spun to say it would do him no harm and we would be better for it. The right response was to say, you were selfish and undisciplined and you can sit out another game as a club penalty. Then Brad Scott whinged bc the roof wasn't closed against the Cats and lost his shit at the officials. This should not have been tolerated and he should have been put reprimanded by the club for poor sportsmanship but instead our President on the Footy Show also had a whinge and a sook. Then Lindsay Thomas gets rubbed out for a stupid headbutt - the club needed to keep him on the sidelines for another week or fine him (like Carlton with J Waite) to teach him and the team a lesson that ill discipline will not be tolerated.

I like your style and agree with all of this.

It's okay to serve up rubbish on the game day - it's fine to screw our season up royally and show no leadership. But don't dare be a public nuisance after hours in your own time, you'll be delisted.

Yeah, we come down hard on those fringe 22ers to show the world that we mean business.

Problem started with Harvey getting rubbed out last year - this was tolerated and spun to say it would do him no harm and we would be better for it. The right response was to say, you were selfish and undisciplined and you can sit out another game as a club penalty.

This is the one that shits me. Firstly, that he did it. Secondly, that the club went to the Haddin/Watson/Warner school of reviewing decisions and got him two more weeks. And now, the biggest steaming turd on top of the pile of crap about Brent Harvey....it was actually GOOD that he missed the first 6 games of the year because he is playing well now. Well friggin bejesus!! Never mind that the most senior player in the club had a hissy fit and went the knuckle as his side was going down the gurgler rapidly in a final. Never mind that the club somehow believed that there was evidence that he didn't do said hissy fit. AND never mind that we lost three games narrowly in his absence. Nah...thank goodness Brent Harvey is playing OK at the back end of a season that died long ago. Much better than him needing a couple of extra ice packs after a game and maybe getting rotated off once or twice more often as we head into a finals series. Christ, if we won a couple of those early games we could have afforded to rest him over the last couple of rounds if he needed it.

Smells-Like-Bullshit_o_99704.jpg

Question marks about "controlled aggression"...... I don't think our coach understands it. Lets blokes off the hook for poor decisions, poor efforts, he just isn't tough on them. Hasn't dropped blokes for poor form etc etc.
Yes we will get some good wins over the journey, but I ****ing hate that he's taught them how to attack and now we are learning how to defend, some shocking habits have formed.
How hard is he on them after this rubbish? There is no way our blokes were switched on yesterday.....how does that happen?
Garner as the sub.....what was the point of that exactly? It's saying to the young bloke that we are protecting him IMO.....put him in and let him rip, not give him a 1 in a hundred chance to succeed and that's his taste. Great.
I have my doubts about the BS "approach"...... Something just ain't right. There is an odd softness to this side and it seems to be being cultivated almost.

This is the one that shits me. Firstly, that he did it. Secondly, that the club went to the Haddin/Watson/Warner school of reviewing decisions and got him two more weeks. And now, the biggest steaming turd on top of the pile of crap about Brent Harvey....it was actually GOOD that he missed the first 6 games of the year because he is playing well now. Well friggin bejesus!! Never mind that the most senior player in the club had a hissy fit and went the knuckle as his side was going down the gurgler rapidly in a final. Never mind that the club somehow believed that there was evidence that he didn't do said hissy fit. AND never mind that we lost three games narrowly in his absence. Nah...thank goodness Brent Harvey is playing OK at the back end of a season that died long ago. Much better than him needing a couple of extra ice packs after a game and maybe getting rotated off once or twice more often as we head into a finals series. Christ, if we won a couple of those early games we could have afforded to rest him over the last couple of rounds if he needed it.

Smells-Like-Bullshit_o_99704.jpg

I repeat the numbers of suspensions over the last 2-3 years( from memory)

Harvey 6 weeks
Ziebell 10 weeks
Thomas 4 weeks

Useless aggression...

Speaking of Petrie,

This happened right in front of me. No wind to speak off at ground level so how can hansen misjudge the flight by that much.

Sat there like a stunned mullet whilst crowe eaters giggled behind me. Almost unbearable :(

Since 2010.

Etihad Stadium
Played 51, Won 32, Lost 19, Percentage 115.5, Avg win margin 42, Avg losing margin 33
Everywhere Else
Played 35, Won 11, Lost 24, Percentage 86.4, Avg win margin 34, Avg losing margin 35

Scores over 100 - 42 (64% of games at Etihad, 26% of games elsewhere)
Scores under 70 - 19 (16% of games at Etihad, 31% of games elsewhere)
Scores conceded over 100 - 32 (37% of games at Etihad, 37% of games elsewhere)
Scores conceded under 70 - 17 (22% of games at Etihad, 17% elsewhere)
Wins over 40 - 19 (29% of games at Etihad, 11% of games elsewhere)
Losses over 40 - 14 (16% of games at Etihad, 20% of games elsewhere)

Maybe it's not an interstate thing - maybe we just can't play anywhere but Etihad.

I wonder if taking out the games against GWS and GC would change the figures significantly.

Especially that 120 point win against GWS in Tassie

I've had enough of this shit since 2000. Brad Scott just go upstairs to the triple m box and get Wayne Carey and Wayne Shwass to repeat to the players faces what thay say about them on triple m. These Duds need a few home truths from the premiership players of the Pagan/Carey era

The last time we beat a non-bottom 4 side at an "away" (ie. not "neutral") interstate venue....

Round 22, 2009 v Port Adelaide - The last game Brad Scott wasn't coach.

The last time we beat a top 8 side at an away/non neutral interstate venue (I'm aware this couldn't change today)

Round 19, 2004 v Sydney - Glenn Archer's 250th game.

Since Brad Scott we're 8 out 27. (This isn't intended as a Scott bashing thread - measuring it under his tenure is just a point marking the current crop of players). Take out soft games against bottom 4 sides and it's 2 out of 20. Those two were both at neutral venues - Port this year and Hawthorn in 2010 - both in Tassie.

They're the facts...but why???? We've come close a few times. Are we just Etihad speciallists and the "interstate" aspect is irrelevant. Or is winning interstate part of maturing? Preparation? It's got me bejiggered.

You guys aren't the only vics who struggle interstate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is our interstate record so bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back