Why is such a big deal made of the ANZAC game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the OP was a full of it, disrespectful and negative. But he's right, at least to some degree.

Anyway it's become tradition now and a big occasion. The first clash between the two was obviously a draw and a great game which drew a bumper crowd, and it's carried on ever since. Two clubs with a great supporter base, a lot of history and have been around since the late 1800's.

''
There is an enormous load of promotional w@nk in the lead up to it as if the players are going into battle... They aren’t, it’s a football game worth 4 competition points ''

Couldn't agree more. The AFL and it's media representatives are tossers, or at least some of them ( most ) and they over sell it, and over sell themselves etc. But they also have to, for their employers who instruct them to do so, as well as do a '' good '' enough '' job '' to remain in their position.

The game is now part of tradition like ANZAC day itself and at least we're paying tribute to them, and footy is a big part of Australian culture. Just a way we can pay tribute to the deceased. But also a way for the AFL to cash in and make more dollars.

Its a big game because you have two of the most successful, best run and oldest clubs based in the same city playing.

People can say what they like but North vs Freo (for example) at Marvel would get 15,000 people and no one would care.

I do hate it when they try and turn it into this "going to war, fight in the trenches, anzac spirit" bullsheet.

To compare a bunch of pampered young sportsmen getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to anyone who has actually been in a war situation is an insult. Someone above said the promos are cringy and i agreee. All they need to make it worse is have Brett Kirk give a weird speech.

It shows what drives the AFL and that's money.

And dont start me on Birds of Tokyo playing either.

How do you consider the systematic injection of peptides into young players as “best run”?

I went to the first one and I’ve been to another 15 or so since. It is a very different experience to most. 100 thousand people not making a noise during the last post is a very moving experience. It’s a rare time in footy where 2 groups of supporters and 2 teams who typically hate their opposition have mutual respect and gratitude for what those had done before us so we can play and watch the game we love.

How do you consider the systematic injection of peptides into young players as “best run”?

Alleged peptides.

In any case facts dictate that we are:
Bigger than North Melbourne (more members)
More successful (many more flags)
Better run (better facilities, far better financially)
Better culturally - we produce better people (Wayne Carey convicted for assaulting women vs James Hird who is not)

Either way why do Collingwood or Essendon or Richmond need the AFL to promote them, west coast are arguably the biggest club in Australia and have done it without an ounce of help from the AFL. And rightfully so they don’t need the help.
They don’t.

Collingwood and Essendon became big clubs back when all games were Saturday afternoon and all at the same time.

The AFL now uses the popularity of the big clubs in Melbourne to create supposed ‘blockbusters’.

The reality is that if you remove the big clubs you don’t get the crowds and the ‘blockbuster’. See Good Friday without Essendon.

Re ANZAC...they played footy on ANZAC day in the VFL way before 95...just it was more often than not a not Event.

In 90 they had two games on Wednesday for ANZAC 23K rocked up to Richmond v Fitzroy at the G, and 25K to Carlton v Footscray at PP....come Saturday 68K rocked up for Pies v Saints at the G.

In 91 55K rocked up to Pies v Dees at Waverley and just 15k we’re at the G for North v Sydney on Thursday for AnZAC day

92 ANZAC was Saturday, 72K went to Waverley for Pies v hawks, Dees v Essendon pulled 42K at the G

93 ANZAC was Sunday, 51k were at Waverley for Carlton v saints, and 17K at the G for Dees v Adelaide.
94 the stand alone ANZAC day game between Richmond and St.Kilda on Monday drew 37K...Pies v Essendon on the Saturday arvo slot in the same round pulled in 75K.

ANZAC day itself doesn’t create a ‘blockbuster’. There are other ANZAC games all the time, and now an ANZAC ‘round’ and those games aren't special no matter if they play the last post and make the sport and war references that people hate.

But it is the atmosphere created by 90K at the G that is special, that is a result of Coll and Ess.

The AFL and RSL want a ‘blockbuster’ on ANzAC day.Collingwood v Essendon gives them a ‘blockbuster’.

If you are wanting to properly pay respect to the ANZACs go to a dawn service.

Haha two responses? Relax, Finger. I’ll get to you when I have a moment.

ANZAC Day is a great game and I enjoy it being between Essendon and Collingwood - two big four rivals. I wouldn’t want Richmond playing on ANZAC Day as it just wouldn’t feel right. It’s a fixture that belongs to the Pies and Bombers.

I’m happy with our ANZAC Day Eve clash with the Dees. I can get pissed and not have to worry about work the next day. I think our pre-game ceremony is better as well. I’ve been to both live and there’s more atmosphere at night time...

View attachment 661142View attachment 661143View attachment 661144View attachment 661146

Some of those images just look spectacular. One thing I would like to see changed is perhaps the day fixture on ANZAC Day between Essendon and Collingwood to start at night. The eternal flame and the crowd just look so much better in the dark.

Just pulling ya chain as well there Finger. ANZAC Day Eve is the biggest H&A fixture of the season and I thoroughly enjoy it as a neutral.
That would look awesome with a full stadium

They don’t.

Collingwood and Essendon became big clubs back when all games were Saturday afternoon and all at the same time.

The AFL now uses the popularity of the big clubs in Melbourne to create supposed ‘blockbusters’.

The reality is that if you remove the big clubs you don’t get the crowds and the ‘blockbuster’. See Good Friday without Essendon.

Re ANZAC...they played footy on ANZAC day in the VFL way before 95...just it was more often than not a not Event.

In 90 they had two games on Wednesday for ANZAC 23K rocked up to Richmond v Fitzroy at the G, and 25K to Carlton v Footscray at PP....come Saturday 68K rocked up for Pies v Saints at the G.

In 91 55K rocked up to Pies v Dees at Waverley and just 15k we’re at the G for North v Sydney on Thursday for AnZAC day

92 ANZAC was Saturday, 72K went to Waverley for Pies v hawks, Dees v Essendon pulled 42K at the G

93 ANZAC was Sunday, 51k were at Waverley for Carlton v saints, and 17K at the G for Dees v Adelaide.
94 the stand alone ANZAC day game between Richmond and St.Kilda on Monday drew 37K...Pies v Essendon on the Saturday arvo slot in the same round pulled in 75K.

ANZAC day itself doesn’t create a ‘blockbuster’. There are other ANZAC games all the time, and now an ANZAC ‘round’ and those games aren't special no matter if they play the last post and make the sport and war references that people hate.

But it is the atmosphere created by 90K at the G that is special, that is a result of Coll and Ess.

The AFL and RSL want a ‘blockbuster’ on ANzAC day.Collingwood v Essendon gives them a ‘blockbuster’.

If you are wanting to properly pay respect to the ANZACs go to a dawn service.

You’re missing the point. I get it and fully respect what Essendon and Collingwood have created but the AFL by pumping the hell out of it, selling travel packages Australia wide, getting their broadcast partners to pump it up have made it a 65-70k crowd into a sellout fixture.
Good for those two clubs and good look for the AFL.
Now why can’t they spend that time and energy on other clubs?
I am not worried about my club but I actually feel for the other Vic clubs who really get little help in game promoting from the AFL.
Without the AFL pumping this day up it is a 60/70k crowd game as most Essendon v Collingwood games are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re missing the point. I get it and fully respect what Essendon and Collingwood have created but the AFL by pumping the hell out of it, selling travel packages Australia wide, getting their broadcast partners to pump it up have made it a 65-70k crowd into a sellout fixture.
Good for those two clubs and good look for the AFL.
Now why can’t they spend that time and energy on other clubs?
I am not worried about my club but I actually feel for the other Vic clubs who really get little help in game promoting from the AFL.
Without the AFL pumping this day up it is a 60/70k crowd game as most Essendon v Collingwood games are.
The point is you get 70k+ to an early season game between Pies v Ess, and if it is on a public holiday that goes to 80k+

In 93 Pies v Bombers on Easter Monday pulled 88K without any specific promotion.

Compared to Dees v Adelaide on ANZAC at the G pulled 17K

In 94 Pies v Blues on Easter Monday pulled 85K

Compared to Saints v Tigers on ANZAC pulled 38K

In 95

Pies v Blues in R1 on Sunday arvo pulled 87K
Ess v Melbourne on Easter Monday pulled 60K
Rich v North on ANZAC Eve pulled 62K
Pies v Bombers on ANZAC day pulled 94K

Early season games between Pies and Ess n Carl draw big crowds as you have the biggest set of supporters that are still optimistic of a good season.

The AFL pumping up ANZAC ensures it has averaged 90K since the G redevelopment, which is great as come round 5-6 teams seasons can look shot.

The ANZAC factor, and pump up by the AFL, adds 5K max to the crowd.

Play Pies v Essendon this Friday or Saturday and you will get 80K+ anyway.

And it is the big crowd that provides the atmosphere and experience, going back to Dees v Adelaide in front of 20K just to ‘share’ it around serves what purpose??

In part it’s because it’s the only MCG game that sells out weeks in advance, regardless of the expected fortunes of each club. This is the case every year, even when Essendon had their drug ban. No other game gets close to that.

If the MCG has unlimited capacity who knows what the crowd would get to.

The point is you get 70k+ to an early season game between Pies v Ess, and if it is on a public holiday that goes to 80k+

In 93 Pies v Bombers on Easter Monday pulled 88K without any specific promotion.

Compared to Dees v Adelaide on ANZAC at the G pulled 17K

In 94 Pies v Blues on Easter Monday pulled 85K

Compared to Saints v Tigers on ANZAC pulled 38K

In 95

Pies v Blues in R1 on Sunday arvo pulled 87K
Ess v Melbourne on Easter Monday pulled 60K
Rich v North on ANZAC Eve pulled 62K
Pies v Bombers on ANZAC day pulled 94K

Early season games between Pies and Ess n Carl draw big crowds as you have the biggest set of supporters that are still optimistic of a good season.

The AFL pumping up ANZAC ensures it has averaged 90K since the G redevelopment, which is great as come round 5-6 teams seasons can look shot.

The ANZAC factor, and pump up by the AFL, adds 5K max to the crowd.

Play Pies v Essendon this Friday or Saturday and you will get 80K+ anyway.

And it is the big crowd that provides the atmosphere and experience, going back to Dees v Adelaide in front of 20K just to ‘share’ it around serves what purpose??

I never said a non vic club should be played at the G, I am not even saying it shouldn’t be as it is. I am just pointing out how these clubs get a leg up from the AFL when they don’t need it.
A normal Richmond V Melbourne rounds 3-7 game in my lifetime draws about 40-60k.
AFL jump behind it, make it stand alone FTA around Australia and surprise surprise it is all of a sudden a marquee game played in front of 80k plus.
30 plus years of the game going national and still to this day neither the Derby or showdown has been given stand alone, AFL pump up, FTA nationally.
It makes little sense to me.
Again it’s not about my club as my club is fine but what a spectacle that would be if you had a stand alone day let’s say Good Friday where just the Showdown and Derby is on. Pumped up by the AFL machine, stand alone day. No vic clubs. Nationwide FTA.

Ironically I think last night’s atmosphere with all the lights and the flame etc. was amazing and it would have been spectacular to be there. I reckon dees and tigers supporters are luckier to experience that than a daytime match.

We have a big job growing the game in NSW. We deserve and need the AFL's support in achieving that. Happily we have it so it's not a problem, and we aren't poor by any sensible measure.
No argument from me. Just quoting the financials.

I reckon GWS should relocate to Canberra. Sydney is a hostile city that doesn't give a shit about AFL. I was up there two weekends ago and had to flip back to the classifieds in the Sunday paper to find anything on AFL.

No argument from me. Just quoting the financials.

I reckon GWS should relocate to Canberra. Sydney is a hostile city that doesn't give a shit about AFL. I was up there two weekends ago and had to flip back to the classifieds in the Sunday paper to find anything on AFL.
That would make the whole exercise pointless.

Some of us are old enough to remember plenty of Anzac Days prior to 1995 :rolleyes:

The AFL, Collingwood and Essendon did not invent Anzac Day, nor add anything new to what has long been a solemn public holiday

Perhaps it's been an education process for all the Collingwood bogans who weren't paying attention in the 3 years they repeated Grade 2 in primary school and didn't learn about Anzac Day. They needed the AFL to teach them that it's not cool to scream "you black campaigner" at Nicky Winmar & Michael Long, so maybe you're right - they probably needed a Herald Sun liftout and Last Post before a Pies game (for 10 successive years) to realise that young men fought and died for our country and they should shut their pieholes for the minute's silence.

Classy

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is such a big deal made of the ANZAC game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back