Why sell our home game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Price Of Four Points

You know the feeling of getting into the finals and being knocked out first game.

If we cant beat Port Adelaide then we would only be that.

If we made the finals this year we would be as excited as shit for seven days but we would then find it a massive let down on the day/night. I want meaningful finals appearances that give rise to an even more meaningful finals appearances. Im sure thats what you are after this year.

Dont like the idea of saying we sold four points. We lost them because we were not good enough.

Benny Gale knows that Collingwood with its wealth may only be able to be challenged by a handful of teams in the future. We need to make some moves to be one of them.

Reading their press too much, I'm glad they got reality check.

Yep - I think this applies to fans more than players tho.
got the $$ - ok Im in Canberra so its not like Im missing out on seeing a game, I reckon it was a good move to goto Darwin, and much rather drop a game vs spooners Pt than in a couple of weeks v the team we are close to on the ladder the swans.

Reckon it is an interesting game in the tropics which will give the young squad a real understanding of the conditions, which Pt obviously already have. There. Its about development.

that said I thought we were puss.
Will get to the Sydney game which will be tough, but if they can get it together, we are a chance - underdogs again!

Its amazing how people look for excuses when the fact is we lost the game because we played poorly. No more no less.

I've got no doubt that had we won the game there would be threads on here saying what a great decision it was by the club to sell the game, make $500k and be in the 8 this morning.

Save taking game to rural and remote parts of the country for the NAB Cup, not the season where home ground advantage means something.

I hope the had enough electricty to run the hot water for the guys to have showers after the game.

Its amazing how people look for excuses when the fact is we lost the game because we played poorly. No more no less.

I've got no doubt that had we won the game there would be threads on here saying what a great decision it was by the club to sell the game, make $500k and be in the 8 this morning.

Na, play all our home games in Victoria, simple.

Na, play all our home games in Victoria, simple.

Let me ask you, lets say we did play that game at the MCG/Etihad and still had of lost, what would people be blaming for the loss? Without doubt it would have been the fact that we played arguably our worse game of footy since the Hawks game early in the season. Yet because we played in Darwin everyone looks at the easy answer and as a result says selling the game is what cost us.

As for playing all our home games in Victoria, no doubt we would love to but the simple fact is the club needs to get rid of around $4.5mil in debt and doing things like this goes a long way to doing just that.

Pissweak excuse, we should have beaten port on the moon, just played like shit and the ground is irrelevant.

Totally agree, we played there to put some much needed $ in the kitty. Do people really think if we aren't good enough to beat port in Darwin and the suns in cairns we deserve to play finals? Who says we would have won this game at etihad or the g? We played horrible, can't believe people are blaming Benny gale and the admin for this loss. The players played lazy and expected it all to happen.

A better team? so you're also saying Richmond are also a better team than Essendon?

You managed to sneak a win with half of our personnell missing. The real Richmond could be seen last night. You played poorly and lost to the better side. The final margin makes the game seem close but you got smashed in every area. No need to blame the ground for that.

You managed to sneak a win with half of our personnell missing. The real Richmond could be seen last night. You played poorly and lost to the better side. The final margin makes the game seem close but you got smashed in every area. No need to blame the ground for that.
Remember who's board you are on. Show some respect or take a hike. Your choice.

You're telling us not to blame the ground(which I agree with) and yet you're still blaming your sides injuries for losing last week when you guys were smashed in every area. Fact is both Essendon last week and us this week played shit and lost.

If you want to continue to troll don't be hypocritical about it.

I don't mean disrespect. I am just saying that I think last nights performance is a real indication of where your side is at. Essendons injury list is like you guys losing Cotchin Deledio Riewoldt and King. Don't think you should have been so excited by your win last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mean disrespect. I am just saying that I think last nights performance is a real indication of where your side is at. Essendons injury list is like you guys losing Cotchin Deledio Riewoldt and King. Don't think you should have been so excited by your win last week.
Its a week since you lost get over it already and stop making excuses.

I am sick of hearing your supporters continually make excuses for that pathetic loss last week.

How much money does a heat chamber cost to purchase and operate?

How much to fly 40 players and staff to Darwin and accomodate them?

Putting on a poor performance and possibly effecting a chance to play finals, and losing that revenue?

Sacrificing a chance to build upon an ever growing attendance to our home games and sell memberships and merchandise at the ground and at Punt road.

Not sure if we gain more than we lose in the whole deal, hopefully they've balanced the equasion heavily in our favour, you'd hope so.

Essendon supporter giving us advice LOL.

Like a blowfly giving bees tips on how to make honey.

GAGF.

We have 500k in our kitty.

Thank you all.
LONG TERM FUTURE LADS!

If we can't win games like last night then the 500k is great compensation.

We will get there.
I was in an angry mood last night but we will get there.

We're missing our whole defence. Get over it.

LOL at Watson and Hooker being half your personnel, the other injured players are all less than adequate.

No it's not. Watson is a bit better than Cotchin, but you don't have a forward like Riewoldt or a rebounding defender like Lids.

Playing in Darwin was a good decision!

I'm as disappointed as anyone about last nights result.
But as hard as it is for some people to take, in my mind it was absolutely the right decision to be playing this game in Darwin.

Whether we make the finals this year or not to me is irrelevant. Far too many people on here have been getting carried away with our form the last few weeks. Even if we did make the finals, I would very much doubt we would win in the 1st week.

This year is a development year just in the same way last year was. Just because we've gone a bit better than we expected so far shouldn't change our mindset on that.

If this game in Darwin had've been in Round 2 for example and we had've lost then there wouldn't be anywhere near as much uproar because our thinking would not be deluded with talk of finals.

If taking a short term hit with last nights loss (and maybe another loss in cairns later in the year) allows us to pocket $500K that helps us to reach our ultimate goal of long term finals success then it is the right decision!

Just settle down people. We're on the right track but we have to be patient for just a little longer!

:thumbsu:

Completely agree with toppstar, too many richmond supporters on here start calling for blood after a "poor" decision by admin.

Its all easy with the wisdom of hindsight to say it was poor decision to sell this game and say the benefits of making finals, pulling big crowds due to our form etc etc is just as good, honestly getting sick of all the sooking :mad:

This game was sold BEFORE the season started, and this was only meant to be a developing year and gale+admin would have seen this as a good chance to build some cash and knock off some debt as we wouldnt expect it to hurt finals hopes. Alot of these wins, plus our position in the table, and our form was unexpected and it was just bad luck, im sure if Gale knew we'd be in this possie they wouldnt have sold the game as its obviously hurt our finals chances.

Everyone is carrying on like we sold the game a week before the match, everyone is getting carried away with finals talk and forgetting this was a DEVELOPMENT year and the decision to sell the games was made in accordance with that. We're just feeding media hype.

BTW lol at the essendon supporter above, they had watson and hocking out and thats it, bombers supporters are the worst losers in the afl, full of excuses, we had our best backman out and we still beat them . . . pathetic essendon :cool:

Tigers sold 4 points.

I have little doubt that we would have beaten Port at the MCG, so by playing in Darwin the end result is as clear as day that we sold the 4 points for $500k.

So, what happens if we miss the finals by 4 points? Would we have made that $500k (and perhaps more) through the additional revenue from the finals game(s), additional membership subscriptions during 2012 and beyond, merchandising and whatever other financial benefits come from playing finals?

Re: Playing in Darwin was a good decision!

This year is a development year just in the same way last year was.

And taking a young team on the road in these unusual conditions is also part of their development. They would have had a valuable lesson in how not to prepare, and how they can be better in our next two games that are also on the road.

Re: Playing in Darwin was a good decision!

And taking a young team on the road in these unusual conditions is also part of their development. They would have had a valuable lesson in how not to prepare, and how they can be better in our next two games that are also on the road.

100% agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Why sell our home game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back