Why the hate for Michael Clarke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please expand.

plenty of articles that Hughes didn't have the support of some of the older players, had some personal issues to deal with. Marsh, Chappel and Lillee didn't rate him at the time and that was reasonably well documented as well.

the hammering he copped during the windian tour pretty much finished him as a player and captain as well.

oh the general chest beating that he's a great player and a great captain when he's merely good and adequate at both :D
So, as I suspected, you were just making stuff up.

Carry on then.......

So, as I suspected, you were just making stuff up.

Carry on then.......

Read the comments defending or insulting clarke over the past 12 months, the range from his very good to he's rubbish.

I've read 5000 runs at 45 is brilliant, his captaincy is brilliant to, he's a rubbish batsman and his captaincy is terrible. The reality, at least from my opinion, is its somewhere in between.

Kim Hughes was a terrible captain with a lot of personal issues, and team issues.

Kim Hughes wasn't a terrible captain, he was an unlucky captain. He skippered a team that had to play back to back test series against arguably the best team of all time in the West Indies in 1984 with a ruthless bowling attack that destroyed opposition batting line ups. Most captains would have struggled to look good when playing that dominant Windies side.

He was also undermined by senior players in Chappell, Lillee and Marsh who didn't want him as captain and he initially only captained the tougher overseas tours while Chappell returned to captain the cushier home test series. That sort of thing would be unthinkable today. Hughes was pretty harshly treated and should have played a lot more test cricket for Australia. The biography of Kim Hughes, Golden Boy, is a great book and gives a good insight into all the goings on in Australian cricket at the time.

I also think Mark Taylor was a great captain rather than adequate captain, his batting form slump detracted from his captaincy though. I'd still rate him as the best Australian captain of the past 30 or so years.

as far as the captaincy is concerned, the problem is that he was more or less pre-ordained years ago, meaning that there is a feeling that he didn't really earn it. Yes, people say that there was a lack of other potential captains when he finally did get the nod, but I feel that is mainly because no one else was ever spoken of as captaincy material because Clarke was always going to be it. The 'captaincy conversation', as it were, never occurred, and thus there is a (fair or unfair) question mark over his legitimacy.

Plus, the whole Katich incident didn't help, made it sound as if the Australian Cricket Team didn't rate that highly in his list of priorities.

My sentiments exactly.

Clarke very well might have been the most deserving and best choice as captain but we will never know because for the last 5 years no one else has had a chance.

If only the likes of McGain, Beer, North, Hodge, Smith, White etc could have been good or adequate.

Exactly. Nobody else had a chance because they weren't good enough to get into the side and stay there. Who else would u have had?

I hate to say it (because I'm not a Clarke fan) but he is performing well with the bat. So on form he can't be judged. However I do get why he is not liked.

CA have been grooming Clarke as next skipper for a few years now and during that time his form with the bat was like a yo-yo and his likability with the public wasn't great, still isn't. So to know that this guy was gonna be the next skipper despite the fact he isn't liked has not sat well with cricket fans in this country. So much so that some and even on this board would rather support Clarke failing with the bat than actually support the Australian team.

Also the fall out with Katich didn't help his cause. Leaving the tour in New Zealand just to solve some issue out with his girlfriend shouldn't have happened. Who is he to just drop everything and leave? Imagine one of his players on tour coming up to him saying he needs to head home because he has relationship/martial issues.....what's he gonna say? Plus it's ads too, voda phone, twitter etc. I know a lot of players do ads but Clarke seems to do more than others.

As I said, I don't like him and I wish he wasn't Captain but he is. If he taking a spot in the side as a batsman, then I want him to make runs.

I support Australia, not hatings of Clarke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Clarke is a far better or more aggressive captain than Ponting. He has shown confidence in Lyon that Hauritz would be jealous of given the lack of confidence Ponting placed in him at times. By the way I am a Ponting fan from way back but, am critical of his decision making as captain.

I think Clarke is a far better or more aggressive captain than Ponting. He has shown confidence in Lyon that Hauritz would be jealous of given the lack of confidence Ponting placed in him at times. By the way I am a Ponting fan from way back but, am critical of his decision making as captain.

I thought i was the only one. Ricky was a useless captain IMO.

Choosing to bowl after mcgrath rolls his ankle in warm ups.
And the amount of time he brought on a part timer like hussey or martyn to save his own match payments and increase the over rates letting the batsmen off from facing our top liners was stupid.

I hate to say it (because I'm not a Clarke fan) but he is performing well with the bat. So on form he can't be judged. However I do get why he is not liked.

CA have been grooming Clarke as next skipper for a few years now and during that time his form with the bat was like a yo-yo and his likability with the public wasn't great, still isn't. So to know that this guy was gonna be the next skipper despite the fact he isn't liked has not sat well with cricket fans in this country. So much so that some and even on this board would rather support Clarke failing with the bat than actually support the Australian team.

Also the fall out with Katich didn't help his cause. Leaving the tour in New Zealand just to solve some issue out with his girlfriend shouldn't have happened. Who is he to just drop everything and leave? Imagine one of his players on tour coming up to him saying he needs to head home because he has relationship/martial issues.....what's he gonna say? Plus it's ads too, voda phone, twitter etc. I know a lot of players do ads but Clarke seems to do more than others.

As I said, I don't like him and I wish he wasn't Captain but he is. If he taking a spot in the side as a batsman, then I want him to make runs.

I support Australia, not hatings of Clarke.

If he was in England or the West Indies he would not have come home. NZ is a couple of hours across the Tasman, closer than Perth. He was getting hounded by the NZ media over the problems with Bingle so it was best to go home clear it up so he could concentrate on his cricket. I'm sure that was probably suggest by the hierachy anyway as they are "in the know" more at the stupid public, who pretend they do. It was smart. Otherwise he'd be batting with the weight of the world on his mind. We all know that'd be alot worse. Sorted it out came back and immediately made a 100.

Katich issue was Katich's fault...100%.

Public opinion here is irrelevant as 50% of them are probably dumb and uninformed in their opinions. His job as skipper is to captain the side well, which he is certainly doing very nicely. CA knew more about his captaincy skills than the uninformed public numbnuts when grooming him.

The hate can be explained in simple equation

Lara Bingle + Aston Martin + Bondi Penthouse + Multi Million $ Contract & endorsements + Traveling the world playing cricket = A lot of Jealous Nuffies.

The hate can be explained in simple equation

Lara Bingle + Aston Martin + Bondi Penthouse + Multi Million $ Contract & endorsements + Traveling the world play international cricket = A lot of Jealous Nuffies.

I'll buy all of that except Lara Bingle. You'd think with all of that going for him, he could do far better than her.

I'll buy all of that except Lara Bingle. You'd think with all of that going for him, he could do far better than her.

I'm not saying she is the best thing on 2 legs and she did bring some considerable baggage with her, but she is hot and she was 20years old at the time.

Google Image: Lara Bingle Nude (not the shower photo). Tell me it isn't great.

If he was in England or the West Indies he would not have come home. NZ is a couple of hours across the Tasman, closer than Perth. He was getting hounded by the NZ media over the problems with Bingle so it was best to go home clear it up so he could concentrate on his cricket. I'm sure that was probably suggest by the hierachy anyway as they are "in the know" more at the stupid public, who pretend they do. It was smart. Otherwise he'd be batting with the weight of the world on his mind. We all know that'd be alot worse. Sorted it out came back and immediately made a 100.

Katich issue was Katich's fault...100%.

Public opinion here is irrelevant as 50% of them are probably dumb and uninformed in their opinions. His job as skipper is to captain the side well, which he is certainly doing very nicely. CA knew more about his captaincy skills than the uninformed public numbnuts when grooming him.

Athletes in all sports get booed/hounded all the time. The good ones block it out and concentrate on what they supposed to be doing. He still got hounded by the media here and in NZ after he left anyways.

I'm not saying she is the best thing on 2 legs and she did bring some considerable baggage with her, but she is hot and she was 20years old at the time.

Google Image: Lara Bingle Nude (not the shower photo). Tell me it isn't great.

Fev. I rest my case!

Over 11 innings, big sample size that. Nothing like a 200 not out and a whole lot of not much to make a player look good.

So it's his fault that despite performing he was dropped?

He wasn't given a chance to let his average drop (a la Hughes) so it stands and always will stand as it is.

Let's not forget 17000 FC runs.

Hardly worth being classed with some of the spuds you listed him with.

Athletes in all sports get booed/hounded all the time. The good ones block it out and concentrate on what they supposed to be doing. He still got hounded by the media here and in NZ after he left anyways.

If you want to get the best out of someone you sort it out rather than carry the burden and risk it affecting his batting. It was a huge thing at the time making front page headlines. I'm sure CA would've recommended he go back and sort it as would Clarke himself. Anyone who has the about slightest knowledge of psychology would understand that. If that was you, you would want to do the same thing. Wouldn't bet you wouldn't block something like that out. Don't tell me otherwise. You're not there to pretend your tough and just block it out, you're there to get the best result for the player and the team. be as dumb as dogsh1t to do otherwise. The inner sanctum know the situation way better and was right than the dopey, uninformed simple thinking Joe Bloggs out in the public.

BTW. despite all the problems he came back and immediately got 100. That just proves the right decision was made despite what the dills in the public think. Kills all argument.

So with that 100, guess what, I think he blocked it all out as I'm guessing the emotion was still raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back