Wielding the axe vs Brisbane (aka changes)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately our guys who have a real crack are pretty much unco-ordinated and don't have great skills (Lonergan, Hocking) and our slick guys with flair have near zero accountability or hardness at the contest (Houli, Jetta, NLM), we have to find that balance. We are really lacking those players who have both hardness and polish - Jobe and Stants have promised a lot, as has Houli, but at the moment the only ones who have the potential to be all-round players are Zaharakis, Prismall and (dare I say it) Dyson IMO. St. Kilda have 3+ in their prime right now (Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo). At least our guys are still young.

Outs: Welsh/Prismall/Hocking (one of them, not sure which one, probabaly welsh) Reimers, Lucas :)(), Skipworth, NLM

Ins: Jetta, Davey, Houli, Myers (if fit), Atkinson/Zaka

I suggest atkinson and houli, to come in and play in the back line for dempsey, and put dempsey on a wing or in the forward line. Is being tagged out of the game, and has given us very little run for about 5 weeks now. Winderlich was one fo the few players crumbing in the forward line, hence why i think jetta should be in. Myers form has been good in the vfl and i think he will off more then reimers is at the moment.

you have got to be kidding mate, Prismall will never be dropped at Essendon for the rest of his career.
You obviously havent seen the last 5 or so weeks he's been playing, been clearly in our top 5 players every week except for his first 2 games.

as for Zaka in, hasn't played a full game in the 2s for about 3 weeks, no chances he's going to come in unfit.

switch on

keeping in mind player fitness levels and matchups i would do it this way:

In: Davey, Bellchambers
Out: Skipworth, Hooker

Backline:

B: H.Slattery, Pears, Fletcher
HB: Dempsey, Hurley, Dyson

with the following matchups:

H.Slattery - L.Power
Pears - Bradshaw
Fletcher - Polkinghorne
Dempsey - Rischitelli
Hurley - J.Brown
Dyson - S.Sheldon

Midfield:

Foll: Bellchambers, Watson, Prismall
Centreline: McPhee, Welsh, Lovett

with matchups:

Bellchambers - M.Clark (Ryder obviously swapping)
Watson - C.Stiller
Prismall - D.Rich
McPhee - J.Brennan (back up plan NLM)
Welsh - S.Black (he did a great job on him last season)
Lovett - J.Sherman

Forwards:

HF: Monfries, Ryder, Reimers
F: Lucas, Neagle, Davey

Likely matchups:

Monfries - T.Selwood
Neagle - Merrett
Lucas - Patfull
Davey - McGrath
Reimers - Drummond
Ryder - ??? MacDonald (I see the Lions as being short on for key defenders so by bringing in Bellchambers, Ryder can go forward and expose them - possibly a key to winning the match).

Interchange: Lonergan, Hocking, Stanton, Lovett-Murray

Emergencies: Hooker, Skipworth, Houli

dempsey should be played on the wing, bring in jetta for dudlet skipworth. im happy to give mcphee 1 more chance. laaaaaadaaaz

I'm hoping for some big calls.

The last two weeks have been as bad as any period since 2006; we need to shake things up.

I'm hoping we leave some of the more solid types out and see what the natural ability of guys like Jetta, Houli and Myers brings us. We need some energy and I think youth is the way to go.

Still can't beleive we're going to miss the finals because we lost to North, Richmond and West Coast. That's 3 of their combined 14 wins. We've contributed 21% of their success this year. Don't deserve to be anywhere near the eight with that record.

Maybe the complete lack of pressure through the midfield has hurt him too. Not easy being a defender one on one when the supply is very good and has little pressure.
People are seem to point the finger at defenders very easily but it is not like our side pushes back and helps them out all that much.

Exactly ...
Hell even Zac Dawson looks a million bucks, with the midfield pressure he gets handed each week.

Pears, when speaking in an interview when he got his rising star nom, one of the first things he acknowledged was, that the midfield had been good to him, ala putting pressure on, so that Fev wasn't getting the best delivery possible.

The last 2 weeks, he has battled just as hard as normal, but when you have SFA assistance, the job is simply made that much harder.

Exactly ...
Hell even Zac Dawson looks a million bucks, with the midfield pressure he gets handed each week.

Pears, when speaking in an interview when he got his rising star nom, one of the first things he acknowledged was, that the midfield had been good to him, ala putting pressure on, so that Fev wasn't getting the best delivery possible.

The last 2 weeks, he has battled just as hard as normal, but when you have SFA assistance, the job is simply made that much harder.

Mate I'm completely confused.

You support Adelaide but your username is McPhee is King?

Can't question the logic in your posts though :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our best win of the year was against Hawthorn. That night we had Bellchambers supporting Ryder in the ruck, Hooker in defense and we had great run through the middle with Lovett, Winderlich, Stanton and Davey. Players like Hocking, Lonergan and Houli all contributed and we had the right team balance. The forward line structure was good with Monfries and Lloyd leading well up on the wing and Neagle staying deep in the goal sqaure.

I think it is important that Bellchambers comes in this week, at least he can provide a target up forward. Hooker can go back to playing defense which is was doing very well before being thrown into the ruck. Houli must come in for his run, without Winderlich this is vital and hopefully Davey comes back in for his forward pressure. Lucas must go out of the side. I wouldn't mind seeing either McPhee or NLM take his CHF role and Neagle remaining deep in the forward line.

A very important game, hopefully Knights' has learnt from his mistakes against WCE and the side will lift against better opposition.

Will be interesting to see how NLM goes after the off field events of this week. I think it might have a positive effect not just on himself but I think the team will lift for him to show their support on the field.

ins:
atkinson, quinn, mcveigh, davey, houli

outs:
skipworth, welsh, lovett, lucas, hooker

i didn't expect atkinson and quinn to come in, we'll just have to see how they go eyy ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko_
I disagree. I think he is exactly the player Pears should play on. Pears does better on the bigger, slower forwards and seems so struggle against the faster more agile forwards. Adding to this, Brown is defensively lazy as hell and Pears' run could be used to exploit this at times.
Bloody hell - if we go in with this attitude Brown will kick 12.

1. Pears Plays on Brown. Correct
2. Pears Does well on Brown. Correct
3. Brown is defensively lazy as hell. 0 Tackles, no chase when Pears had the ball. Correct
4. Pears' run could be used to exploit Brown's Laziness. Pears has 20 possessions from FB/CHB. Correct
5. Not only does Brown not kick 12, he doesnt kick any. You fail. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Wielding the axe vs Brisbane (aka changes)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back