Remove this Banner Ad

muttley3028

Debutant
Feb 16, 2007
altona meadows
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well maybe not but . . .

IIRC last year people where screaming Blue Murder about Addison getting a game week in week out. Now time would suggest that it was probably the right thing to do. Though still young and not perfect Addison I believe is developing well.

Wight is a sub 50 game player and is going to make mistakes players take time to develop some faster than other however if the coaching staff believe there is something there worth persisting with then why not have a little faith. After all they are the ones that deal with the bloke day in and day out and would know a whole lot more than alot of posters, well maybe not TCD because he seems to know everything before it happens.

So anyone besides TCD and his trusty wheelie bin if knowledge hanging the proverbial on Wight or the coaching panel for his selections grab a pair of boots and go get drafted if you can think you can do better. (Apologise for the Glenn Archer Footy Classified come back to Hutchie and Carro but its all I could think of)

He is a project player so allowances have to be made for that.

I am not going to bag him like other posters may.The one constructive criticism I can make is that he has to improve his decision making and ability to execute skills under pressure.

I had a look at the match day stats. His disposal efficiency was about 46% which is extremely poor(Average figure for players is about 80%).

Unfortunately, it is probably only something he will learn with experience. It is hard to simulate that kind of pressure in training.

At his best, he is a very handy player for us because of his size. I just hope he gains experience and improves his disposal under pressure. We want to play finals this year and beyond, and finals is all about pressure.

Wight made some mistakes yesterday, but he was also running hard into the forward and back halves, late in the game...

He should have either passed or kicked the goal in the third term, but it was a good effort to run down and receive it.... Particularly for a player his size...

He will improve with game time.

At the moment, I'm very happy with 7.5 wins, with Ray and Williams getting some game time after injury, Wight and Addison improving, Hill's development, Aker's improvement, the return of Mitch and Murph and the performance of our new recruits, Hudson and Welsh.....

Confidence plays a big part in how Cam plays, he made a few decisional errors yesterday and as the confidence fell away the errors got worse and worse, and his performance became quite frustrating. His marking has improved out of sight and he can run and kick, he just needs to back himself and not panic when he has the ball.

Well maybe not but . . .

IIRC last year people where screaming Blue Murder about Addison getting a game week in week out. Now time would suggest that it was probably the right thing to do. Though still young and not perfect Addison I believe is developing well.

Wight is a sub 50 game player and is going to make mistakes players take time to develop some faster than other however if the coaching staff believe there is something there worth persisting with then why not have a little faith. After all they are the ones that deal with the bloke day in and day out and would know a whole lot more than alot of posters, well maybe not TCD because he seems to know everything before it happens.

So anyone besides TCD and his trusty wheelie bin if knowledge hanging the proverbial on Wight or the coaching panel for his selections grab a pair of boots and go get drafted if you can think you can do better. (Apologise for the Glenn Archer Footy Classified come back to Hutchie and Carro but its all I could think of)

I agree with what u r saying 100%, Wight made some costly mistakes yesterday, but has been ok this year, like all young blokes will hopefully continue to improve with time. Not sure who we could have replaced him with in the team yesterday anyway. I think at this stage he is more advanced than Big Tom.

Well maybe not but . . .

well put
imo
believe wight started the year quiet but had started to find his feet, yesterday was an average day in a team that for most of the day was average.

Wight is very very lucky he is 198cm(very tall anyway). I believe he is still a project player then he should learn it at Williamstown like the other development players. Must admit i am a fan of Wight as he has lots of upside once he fixes he's weaknesses.

nothing he has shown has indicated that he will make it at AFL level.

williams on the otherhand is at a similar development stage as Wight but at least he has shown glimpses of what he could be capable of

Williams still hasn't got a footy brain. I get sick of footy teams trying toconvert players from other games. Williams was recruited from Rugby, which automatically puts him so far behind every one on the list. To be able to read the play takes years. Addison also seems to run around in circles when he doesn't have the ball. Just doesn't look to have that footy brain.

Williams still hasn't got a footy brain. I get sick of footy teams trying toconvert players from other games. Williams was recruited from Rugby, which automatically puts him so far behind every one on the list. To be able to read the play takes years. Addison also seems to run around in circles when he doesn't have the ball. Just doesn't look to have that footy brain.

Addison's decision making and skills have improved dramatically I think this year. I guess that comes with persistence from the coaching staff and the confidence on his end knowing that he belongs. He made a few good moves to open space yesterday, but was unfortunately ignored on a few of them. I really like how he is coming along.

Williams is a big boy, and apparently a gun athlete. Is lacking a lot of things at the moment though. Confidence may be one of those, as I can imagine how hard it is for him to do all of this after sustaining so many injuries, while still learning the game.
...That tackle he laid was huge! If he can at least bring that physicality to games at the moment, I am happy.

He is a project player so allowances have to be made for that.

I am not going to bag him like other posters may.The one constructive criticism I can make is that he has to improve his decision making and ability to execute skills under pressure.

I had a look at the match day stats. His disposal efficiency was about 46% which is extremely poor(Average figure for players is about 80%).

Unfortunately, it is probably only something he will learn with experience. It is hard to simulate that kind of pressure in training.

At his best, he is a very handy player for us because of his size. I just hope he gains experience and improves his disposal under pressure. We want to play finals this year and beyond, and finals is all about pressure.

he was drafted in 2002 mate. how many years do u need to see a bloke hasn't got it? are u on the doggies match committee too? crickey, is there no-one at the club that can identify talent. give me a job and i'll embarrass clayton!!!

Wight is very very lucky he is 198cm(very tall anyway). I believe he is still a project player then he should learn it at Williamstown like the other development players. Must admit i am a fan of Wight as he has lots of upside once he fixes he's weaknesses.

u have no idea mate, none whatsoever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was drafted in 2002 mate. how many years do u need to see a bloke hasn't got it? are u on the doggies match committee too? crickey, is there no-one at the club that can identify talent. give me a job and i'll embarrass clayton!!!
Glad you weren't around in the 80s screaming at the club to cut Peter Foster. Fact is some players take longer to develop, especially those who have a slighter build.

He has done much more than Tom Williams, just needs to take the first option with his disposal (when he hesitates he loses confidence quickly)which is what I'm sure the club will be working on.
He didn't spend much (if any) time at CHB during the pre-season either, playing as a CHF.

Jesaulenko, Stynes, Koutefides, Croad, Kennelly ...

You have to admire both Wright and Addison effort but to be honest I don't think they will become regular AFL players, you need skill and footy nouse. Just think if we delisted them who would pick them up.

Question to all
What other teams would they both get a game in ?

I expect Addison to have a decent career as a footballer, Wight has played every week in a side that is top 4, he does some really good things, can take a good grab and has some attributes that make him valuable. I have hopes that he can improve his decision making and disposal, something Addison has done recently.

You have to admire both Wright and Addison effort but to be honest I don't think they will become regular AFL players, you need skill and footy nouse. Just think if we delisted them who would pick them up.

Question to all
What other teams would they both get a game in ?

Essendon, Melbourne, WC, Freo, Carlton, St Kilda

Wight is doing a good job, he stuffed up on Sunday but so far he has been solid and has done the job asked of him.

If I may....

Addison got pantsed by Wells in the first half, but he has a massive crack and adds hardness. Good tackler, works hard and looks to be relied upon to do a job. He isn't polished or classy, but you can't have very midfielder running forward of the footy. He stands out a little in your side because most of your runners are so ____ing clean with the football.

Wight is surely just keeping Everitt's spot warm.

Pffft. If anything Addison is the new Wight. People have been a lot more critical of Wight then they ever have of Addison and for a longer period of time as well.

For the record, both are having good seasons and we must persist even if they play a few bad games. I'm not a fanboy of Wight but there is nobody else to take his place and he has showed in parts that he's a capable player. It's just about consistency now and that doesn't mean game by game or quarter by quarter it means play by play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wight is the new Addison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back