Wight is the new Addison

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour is that Wight is injured (a broken synapse in the football brain) and should be out for at least 13 weeks. He will be replaced in this week's side by Everitt.

I have to admit i laughed at this!

I think Addison has really improved especially his attack on the footy. However, Cam Wight has been around a lot longer. I believe he needs to show some good signs soon or it may be time to give up on the young fella.

I have to admit i laughed at this!

I think Addison has really improved especially his attack on the footy. However, Cam Wight has been around a lot longer. I believe he needs to show some good signs soon or it may be time to give up on the young fella.
I didnt that is no way to talk about any one let alone some one that plays for the great club that i follow, and some people on here say they do, yet have ago the club and it's players and coaches every chance they get.

if we gave up on every young fella that didnt show that they are stars in their fist 20 games we would have no one playing for us!

God, we could do with a Foster type now! Those older members would also remember Glen "Galaxy" Coleman. He didn't get his nick for no reason :)

Coleman, like Fossie, started at Fitzroy, and many thought he was an absolute dud, but he turned out to be one of our most dependable players.

While I doubt Cam will be as good as these two blokes, I think I've seen enough to suggest he's worth holding onto. We've kept worse for longer, and no, I'm not going to mention names.
Glad you weren't around in the 80s screaming at the club to cut Peter Foster. Fact is some players take longer to develop, especially those who have a slighter build.

He has done much more than Tom Williams, just needs to take the first option with his disposal (when he hesitates he loses confidence quickly)which is what I'm sure the club will be working on.
He didn't spend much (if any) time at CHB during the pre-season either, playing as a CHF.

I thought Wight had more of a go this time, got himself to more contests and was involved more. That is what you want, as a start. He also took risks. That is what you want also. And if you do the above 2 things more than you have before, you are probably going to make more mistakes. And that is the way to learn.

Hang on a sec ...... Yes, Wight does have potential however his lastfew games have been ordinary.

His turnovers on Sunday were horrible and the week before against Freo he did a howler of a turnover whoich resulted in a goal to Freo. Hardly had a touch after that.

He hasnt put a good game in for a while and maybe he needs a confidence booster in the twos?

It is only his height that is keeping him there.

You have to admire both Wright and Addison effort but to be honest I don't think they will become regular AFL players, you need skill and footy nouse. Just think if we delisted them who would pick them up.

Question to all
What other teams would they both get a game in ?
Are you for real.Plenty would pick up Addison and he would get games in many teams including some of the top teams except maybe Hawthorn and Geelong.Wight would also get picked up.I have no problem with the way Addison is coming along.Skills have improved heaps and his decision making will improve as he goes along like most players do as they get experience.The toughness he brings to the side I love.Yes Wight makes mistakes but he also does some good things.Whether he goes on to be 150 game player who knows but please don't write him of just yet.
Remember some big blokes do take time.

I expect Addison to have a decent career as a footballer, Wight has played every week in a side that is top 4, he does some really good things, can take a good grab and has some attributes that make him valuable. I have hopes that he can improve his decision making and disposal, something Addison has done recently.
Spot on:thumbsu:

Wight and Addison are worth stick with i reckon, Wight dose a few nice things and is still learning, while Addison has the hardness and tackleing we need. The player i have doubts on is Ray.

I didnt that is no way to talk about any one let alone some one that plays for the great club that i follow, and some people on here say they do, yet have ago the club and it's players and coaches every chance they get.

if we gave up on every young fella that didnt show that they are stars in their fist 20 games we would have no one playing for us!

I agree with the above.
I wonder how many of the people who get on here and constantly criticise some players, have actually played senior footy themselves at a local level at the least. My point is, it looks a lot easier watching games, than when u r actually out there playing. Many things to take into account, when a player stuffs up a kick, why is that, maybe his teamates didn't talk and he thought he was under pressure! When a player has a bad game, maybe they are carrying an injury, but are playing to help the team, or maybe had the flu all week, etc etc.
Once again, my point is it is easy to sit in the stands and criticise, but it is not as easy a game as it may look from the crowd.
Time to stop constantly bagging the young blokes, Hill, Wight & Addison and have a bit of patience, as they are still learning and i personally think have all showed improvement, which is all u can ask.
If they weren't showing any improvement that would then be a concern.

Well, I've said it before on here- but one of the things we get from Wight is flexibility.

Wight might not be - strictly speaking - in our best 22 footballers - However, he IS in our best 22 becasue of what he offers. Wight can play on all types in defence as he is tall but also is pretty quick and has a big engine. With the amount of lead up type forwards in the league who run all day - you simply need players like Wight in the side or at least to be equipped by playing plenty of senior footy.

Aside from that Wight can play as a tall forward himself and can go into the ruck and be used as an extra on baller. Last year against Collingwood he was instrumental in getting us going in the middle and ran Bryan from the Pies ragged for 15 minutes getting touches through the middle.

Afl sides have to have this flexibility in the modern game - and whilst he makes decision errors at times and is still fairly light in frame - I think its necessary to keep him in. He has improved heaps this year - and will only continue to improve.

And how many times do ppl on here want to bring up his error against Freo that cost a goal. It was a skill error. It came of the in step off his boot. It happens. It happened on a Gilbee kick out on the weekend. But most of you would prefer to crucify Wight for it forever. It would be nice if some of you stumbled across the modern game at some stage.

I'm sure you're the same people who lose their head when we kick it sideways on the weekends, but then p1ss and moan if we don't look to control the ball and just bomb it forward to the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a post a couple of weeks ago I said I might have to eat my words on Wight, having thought he would never make it. After last Sunday, however, I may have to go hungry. Many of the Dogs supporters around me shook their heads in disbelief on several occasions at his costly mistakes. We want him to succeed because he tries so hard, but what I saw last weekend was not an AFL standard footballer. Just a bad game or more of the same? If we need a short term solution then he is perhaps providing it. Williams is being carried as he learns the game, so neither at this stage seems the long term solution. Hope I'm wrong.

In a post a couple of weeks ago I said I might have to eat my words on Wight, having thought he would never make it. After last Sunday, however, I may have to go hungry. Many of the Dogs supporters around me shook their heads in disbelief on several occasions at his costly mistakes. We want him to succeed because he tries so hard, but what I saw last weekend was not an AFL standard footballer. Just a bad game or more of the same? If we need a short term solution then he is perhaps providing it. Williams is being carried as he learns the game, so neither at this stage seems the long term solution. Hope I'm wrong.

i think that there is plenty of upside with williams because he has only played 30 games of football (in total), and has been injured pretty much since he got to the club. with continuity in his football he will get better and be a whole lot better the wight. remember wight was drafted 2 years before williams, and has been playing football for alot longer, so ur statement is wrong.

I agree with the above.
I wonder how many of the people who get on here and constantly criticise some players, have actually played senior footy themselves at a local level at the least. My point is, it looks a lot easier watching games, than when u r actually out there playing. Many things to take into account, when a player stuffs up a kick, why is that, maybe his teamates didn't talk and he thought he was under pressure! When a player has a bad game, maybe they are carrying an injury, but are playing to help the team, or maybe had the flu all week, etc etc.
Once again, my point is it is easy to sit in the stands and criticise, but it is not as easy a game as it may look from the crowd.
Time to stop constantly bagging the young blokes, Hill, Wight & Addison and have a bit of patience, as they are still learning and i personally think have all showed improvement, which is all u can ask.
If they weren't showing any improvement that would then be a concern.

simple game played by simple people turtle, dont need a PHD to understand how to play and what to look for in a player!

i think that there is plenty of upside with williams because he has only played 30 games of football (in total), and has been injured pretty much since he got to the club. with continuity in his football he will get better and be a whole lot better the wight. remember wight was drafted 2 years before williams, and has been playing football for alot longer, so ur statement is wrong.

So you think that Williams is pulling his weight and worth a spot in the team on form only?

So you think that Williams is pulling his weight and worth a spot in the team on form only?

look, its a tough one with tommy because he's only gonna learn in the big time and it was only his second game for the year. we should give him another couple of weeks to see how he goes. if his form and confidence drop, well he then may well need to go back.
but maybe the more pressing issue is why do we have lake, wight and williams in the same team? shaggy and morris can play tall, so maybe we are overcompensating for our supposed lack of height?

look, its a tough one with tommy because he's only gonna learn in the big time and it was only his second game for the year. we should give him another couple of weeks to see how he goes. if his form and confidence drop, well he then may well need to go back.
but maybe the more pressing issue is why do we have lake, wight and williams in the same team? shaggy and morris can play tall, so maybe we are overcompensating for our supposed lack of height?

Because Shaggy & Morris can play on smalls also. Shaggy ahs played on Farmer and Harvey in recent weeks. Morris can play on all types - Riewoldt, Corey Jones, Milne if need be.

Bulldogs supporters have complained for years that Shaggy shouldn't have to play on the big forwards..

Remove this Banner Ad

Wight is the new Addison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back