Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel he is like one of those late picks / rookies you keep turning over looking for a keeper. Hopefully he takes a big leap over summer.
had no preseason, been out of the game for a few years
give him some time, the fact he played any senior football this year is a surprise to me
expect his body shape to change after the offseason break, a lot stronger version for 2025

I feel he is like one of those late picks / rookies you keep turning over looking for a keeper. Hopefully he takes a big leap over summer.

I hope we're wrong, but he's got Tom Wilson vibes. Looks talented, but does he run well enough or is he good enough to compensate in other ways?

Toovey was a lot faster and taller. Also, the game has evolved. A guy like Toovey probably wouldn’t make it now
It’s too early to tell on will
He looked lost at times but other times he looked good

It looks like he doesn’t know where to position himself

Toovey was a lot faster and taller. Also, the game has evolved. A guy like Toovey probably wouldn’t make it now
He'd have to improve his kicking significantly, but that pace, that ability to play tall or small and those defensive skills and judgement - he'd be fantastic in the current game and switching defences if he did improve his kicking.

When he's playing defense he'll have to cover quick small forwards.. right now he is no where near capable physically.
A one point he looked like Cameron was going to skin him, but he bumped Cameron perfectly which unbalanced him, forcing Cameron to HB.
Cameron normally leaves defenders for dead when leading them to the ball. Parker showed great maturity with how he handled the situation.

He’s taller than IQ.
Jeez you love this sort of thing Spinny - with a one trait comparison to a player with a weakness in that trait.

He's taller than IQ. Faster than Cox. Stronger than Richards. Better endurance than Reef. He's athletically ideal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A one point he looked like Cameron was going to skin him, but he bumped Cameron perfectly which unbalanced him, forcing Cameron to HB.
Cameron normally leaves defenders for dead when leading them to the ball. Parker showed great maturity with how he handled the situation.
I think he is going OK, but his worst moment of inexperienced face palm was on Cameron - tried to cut in front of Cameron for an impossible spoil - leaving Cameron to mark it and just take off.

I hope we're wrong, but he's got Tom Wilson vibes. Looks talented, but does he run well enough or is he good enough to compensate in other ways?
Really? I don’t get that from him at all. The fact that our selectors have given him games so incredibly early would indicate that they’re seeing something you can’t yet.

Jeez you love this sort of thing Spinny - with a one trait comparison to a player with a weakness in that trait.

He's taller than IQ. Faster than Cox. Stronger than Richards. Better endurance than Reef. He's athletically ideal!
He might just have Nick Daicos with his Googlie but I’m not sure, Nick is untested and a bit of a freak.

Wasnt he on Cameron most of the night ?

Cameron had 12 disp and 1 goal

Moore had 11 disposals

Parker had 10 disposals

Gosh we are harsh on certain young players, but let our senior guys have some performances that are questionable
I thought he did pretty well on cameron, who is a tough match up on anyone.

Really? I don’t get that from him at all. The fact that our selectors have given him games so incredibly early would indicate that they’re seeing something you can’t yet.
I think he looks to have some class. But I have a speed bias and think you've got to be seriously good to be effective on the flanks without being a standout runner - so I'm not as bullish as some.

Last edited:
He'd have to improve his kicking significantly, but that pace, that ability to play tall or small and those defensive skills and judgement - he'd be fantastic in the current game and switching defences if he did improve his kicking.

Watching at VFL Level he is a Very Good Ball User

Tbf, Charlie can do that on most players.
The one Kappa’s referring to also wasn’t about speed it was about body positioning. Parker overcommitted in the contest meaning Cameron was off to the races as Parker’s body weight was still heading toward our goal. He lost ground in the chase, but not enough for me to query his leg speed because as you say Cameron can do that to most.

Toovey would definitely make it in today's game he's way better than a Johnny Nobel. I'd even argue a player like Leon Davis who struggled at times would fit in better with today's game front or back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back