Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah its a double edged sword. They'd love the chance at revenge, but yet another loss to the same sides that beat them would be so demoralising.

As long as Geelongs not there the gf will be a good matchup.

What about the Hawks? Obviously not as bitter as the Swans got them in 2012, but the last 3 teams who've beaten them in grand finals could all be playing finals.

A third entry in the Sydney/Hawthorn grand final series, with Sydney coming out on top would be fairly high on neutrals wish lists.

Other than that it's probably Hinkley climbing the mountain against anyone.
I imagine Geelong winning "yet another one" would be second-last on most neutrals' lists, above only Carlton.

GWS (first premiership fairytale), Port (Hinkley silencing the doubters), Sydney/Brisbane (finally paying off after being thereabouts for ages), Doggies (underdogs made good) and Hawthorn (young team) would all be higher....

Possible. My ladder predictor has Geelong winning and GWS losing and I reckon Geelong win by enough to jump the % gap go to third and play Port. Have port winning but not out of the realms.
Hell it's a 90 point % gap with Port.
Say a banged up Carlton lose and Freo are live and beat Port by 4 goals. Geelong match Carltons margin of beating West Coast and could even jump to.2nd. Not completely ridiculous and a swans Geelong granny is favourite

A third entry in the Sydney/Hawthorn grand final series, with Sydney coming out on top would be fairly high on neutrals wish lists.

Other than that it's probably Hinkley climbing the mountain against anyone.

I'm not really sure that's true, although I'm sure most neutrals would prefer that Hawthorn stay away from Grand Final day for another 10 years minimum.

Hinkley really isn't that well liked is he? I have no negative feelings towards Port really, but I can't say I've ever really been that keen to see them 'do it for Ken'.

I'm not really sure that's true, although I'm sure most neutrals would prefer that Hawthorn stay away from Grand Final day for another 10 years minimum.

Hinkley really isn't that well liked is he? I have no negative feelings towards Port really, but I can't say I've ever really been that keen to see them 'do it for Ken'.
Everyone loves Hawthorn's form at the moment and Sydney at their best were similarly scintillating. Both young teams but with the history with their former teams it would still have a bit of heavyweight nostalgia about it. There aren't that many teams in the top 8 that people care about or would be considered "big ratings". Hawthorn/Sydney would have appeal, and Hawthorn losing that match would have appeal for the interstaters at the least.

You really overestimate how much people dislike Hawthorn. 90% of neutrals loathe Geelong more despite having less flags over x amount of years. I'd say Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond still get a fair but of dislike too.

Neutrals aren't actually hoping for a Fremantle/Port Adelaide grand final just because neither have been in a grand final for a long time.

I imagine Geelong winning "yet another one" would be second-last on most neutrals' lists, above only Carlton.

GWS (first premiership fairytale), Port (Hinkley silencing the doubters), Sydney/Brisbane (finally paying off after being thereabouts for ages), Doggies (underdogs made good) and Hawthorn (young team) would all be higher....
Yeah this is probably accurate. Maybe by Hawthorn/Sydney I meant more what would capture people's emotions, especially if Hawthorn were on a blistering run and Sydney had returned to their best.

In terms of "what would I hate the least due to club bias" etc, then some combination of Port/GWS/Bulldogs might be what people prefer. But I am of the belief that to truly get people invested you also need a team that at least a lot of people are desperate to see lose. Port/GWS wouldn't do that outside of their state shared rival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Hawks play the Bulldogs in the first final, i think the winner can make the Grand Final. The Giants could be the only drawback to that happening.
My bet is Sydney v Bulldogs, Hawks or GWS?

If the Hawks play the Bulldogs in the first final, i think the winner can make the Grand Final. The Giants could be the only drawback to that happening.
My bet is Sydney v Bulldogs, Hawks or GWS?
If Sydney finish top and win their first final they could only play Hawks/Dogs in a prelim (assuming Dogs/Hawks are 6th/7th)

Surely Hawthorn vs GWS would be an interesting match up for neutral observers.

The final 4 games have been very close

Screenshot_20240821_174127_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240821_174204_Chrome~2.jpg

Plus the anomaly of it being the 5th consecutive match between the two at 5 different locations.
Norwood
Sydney
Tassie
Canberra
MCG?

In saying this, I don't believe we are a genuine chance this year unless we first qualify, then win comfortably in an Elimination final. Do that and I'll start to believe.

Surely Hawthorn vs GWS would be an interesting match up for neutral observers.

The final 4 games have been very close

View attachment 2086595
View attachment 2086596

Plus the anomaly of it being the 5th consecutive match between the two at 5 different locations.
Norwood
Sydney
Tassie
Canberra
MCG?

In saying this, I don't believe we are a genuine chance this year unless we first qualify, then win comfortably in an Elimination final. Do that and I'll start to believe.
I looked back a long time and could not find any side that won the flag without making finals in the previous 5 years. Carlton was close last year.

History says no way for the Hawks this year.

I looked back a long time and could not find any side that won the flag without making finals in the previous 5 years. Carlton was close last year.

History says no way for the Hawks this year.

Yep, history definitely not on our side.

However, been the number 1 team in it since round 5. So the formline is there.

It's been a fun ride. Will continue to enjoy it wherever it may end up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back