Player Watch Will Ashcroft - Better than Nick Daicos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Youngest ever Norm Smith Medalist, and did so having come back into the team mid-season from a torn ACL.

For all the media carry-on Nick Daicos has gotten in Victoria, has everyone overlooked the ability of Will Ashcroft up in Brisbane? They are both quality players, but it feels like Ashcroft has a harder edge to his game. There is a reason he won the Norm Smith today, whereas Daicos didn't last year.
Oh please- more of the Nick is soft brigade. Nick could so easily have a Brownlow in his second year had injury not robbed him and finished second this year. He just happened to win us the flag with his brilliant handpass last year. That will remain a classic moment for decades to come. Ashcroft is a gun.

Many judges had Neale a clear winner of the Normie. Any award based on the subjective opinions of ex footballers and commentators is not a measure of a player's greatness. Pendles, Carey, Ablett senior and Leigh Matthews never won a Brownlow. Dipper must be a better player than all of them!

I'd rather have Nick.

Easily Ashcroft.

I thought it before and this GF performance proves it.

Sadly I don’t think Daicos will get a chance to prove his worth in a GF or even finals again.

He’ll have fun collecting individual awards in non-finals sides though which is ok I guess.
I taste bitterness and I like it!

What I saw from Will today is that we will have another Lachie Neale for another 10+ years. Step ahead player.

Ashcroft is an awesome player. I loved the way he spoke getting the Norm. Heard his brother Levi on triple m the other day with JB and Bill and he was so well spoken and humble that I was an instant fan, then hearing Will speak after the GF made me an instant fan of him. Great kids.

Having said that, I hate the constant comparisons between players; old, new, current.
He's either good, or he's not. Doesn't matter whether he's AS good as player x, y or z.
Daicos is a great player. Ashcroft is a great player. One might be better than the other this year. It might swap next year.
Who cares? Let's just enjoy greatness from all angles.
Ashcroft, Daicos, Bont, Cripps, Reid, Sheezel, Hogan, Curnow, Kings, Green, Andrews, Weitering, Serong, Flanders, etc.

One bloke coming off a knee injury and doing remarkable things to impact a grand final, the other from his 2nd season been his sides best player and top 5 players in the comp.. both incredible young players, but Nick had prob gone past Judd as the best young player in my lifetime (43 years) .. Let’s celebrate both instead of trying to bring one of them down,
Although I haven't been watching football for anywhere near as long (18 years), I would definitively agree with this statement. I honestly can't recall seeing a player with so much hype and expectation prior to being drafted come into the league and dominate since day one. He could have legitimately had 3 All Australian selections, 2 Brownlow Medals, and a Norm Smith Medal prior to the finish of his 3rd season. Achievements aside, Nick Diacos has been a pleasure to watch as a neutral.

Many people struggle to appreciate greatness in the moment, and we are witnessing one of the greats blossom before our eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Will Ashcroft - Better than Nick Daicos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back