Will Freo's recent success force supporters not to accept mediocrity?

Remove this Banner Ad

bzparkes said:
Fair enough, I'll admit I don't know that much about the Freo footy club. My point though was that they were in a position to do better after '03 and they went backwards, while taking a huge leap forwards this year. It's indicative of Fremantle's inconsistency during the club's lifetime. Have some great wins away, lose some gimme games at home and look destined to miss out yet again. Then suddenly win 9 straight to burst into the top 4 when they actually woke up and realised they were a good club with a good list for their second finals appearance.

Hopefully for their sake they won't rest on their laurels like they did after '03 and think that making the finals is all but assured. They should do better next year and have no excuse not to and be happy with their first finals win like they were with their first finals appearance. Time they realised their potential and found some consistency.

The best footy improved after 2003. You will find that the second wave of building occured in the 2003 trade/draft week.

In the short term it would have been better to keep Croadie , Koops , Toia and Antony Jones but the admin invested in the future by picking up Mundy , Murphy , Peake , Dunn , Campbell & Magic Johnson.

It is these blokes that have bought about the quantum leap forward as they have got games under their belt more than anything else.

Ripper said:
The best footy improved after 2003. You will find that the second wave of building occured in the 2003 trade/draft week.

In the short term it would have been better to keep Croadie , Koops , Toia and Antony Jones but the admin invested in the future by picking up Mundy , Murphy , Peake , Dunn , Campbell & Magic Johnson.

It is these blokes that have bought about the quantum leap forward as they have got games under their belt more than anything else.

Hmm, Croad didn't want to play for Freo anyway. I read somewhere that he used to feel sick to his stomach when they'd play Hawthorn. Dunno abou the otehr guys. At least the young guys you've picked up actually want to play for the club and are showing promise. With a promising list they should do better but considering this season of 2 halves, it's certainly not guaranteed. They just need to take the bull by the horns at the start of next year...

bzparkes said:
Hmm, Croad didn't want to play for Freo anyway. I read somewhere that he used to feel sick to his stomach when they'd play Hawthorn. Dunno abou the otehr guys. At least the young guys you've picked up actually want to play for the club and are showing promise. With a promising list they should do better but considering this season of 2 halves, it's certainly not guaranteed. They just need to take the bull by the horns at the start of next year...

Nothing is garranteed but the second half co-incided with Big Sandi's return from injury against the Bombres in the first game of the 9 game winning streak.

The first half was the draw from hell with 3 long haul trips to Tassie & Brisbane with only 6 day breaks (four in the first 5 away games ) after trying to pinch hit with half fit or inexperienced ruckmen most of the time.

It is the same thing that Nissie is sooking about this year and WC only have 2 six day breaks after playing away all 2007.

Given the madness that came over the Freo boards just a little before the streak (around the time Geelong came over and did the business) I would have to say the supporters where way beyond accepting mediocrity.

The supporters where just about ready to form a rough and tumble lynch mob to tear down the club and start anew. Cuddles was right at the top of the list. The steak came, the mob where placated and the wagon steamed ahead.

Watch for the signs. An early run of losses (ie - two in a row) and the mob will be out in force. For they are nothing if not predictable.

duncan said:
Heh - pushing the thread off topic. Well done. :thumbsu:

Not at all. Any one with half an eye can see that Freo in 2006 had one of the hardest fixtures of any team ever, certainly harder than Freos 2007 fixture and miles harder than the fixture that Nissie is complaining about.

Yet they were still good enough to finish 3rd on the ladder.

Ripper said:
Not at all. Any one with half an eye can see that Freo in 2006 had one of the hardest fixtures of any team ever, certainly harder than Freos 2007 fixture and miles harder than the fixture that Nissie is complaining about.

Yet they were still good enough to finish 3rd on the ladder.

Come on Ripper just come out of the closet and admit you are an Eagles supporter. You just can't stop yourself discussing such a wonderful team & club. Here everone was, talking nicely about the dorkers, hell, some of us even talked them up. Then you just HAD to bring up the Eagles. :)

We're a nice friendly bunch Ripper. Come on. You know deep down you wanna. ;);)

ditto said:
Come on Ripper just come out of the closet and admit you are an Eagles supporter. You just can't stop yourself discussing such a wonderful team & club. Here everone was, talking nicely about the dorkers, hell, some of us even talked them up. Then you just HAD to bring up the Eagles. :)

We're a nice friendly bunch Ripper. Come on. You know deep down you wanna. ;);)

Lol, ditto. Eagles Supporters have been accusing me of that for years on here. At least come up with something original. :)

With the current long waiting lists in the health system , turning into an arrogant, smug WC fan is out of the question.

It is not worth the wait to have the operation to remove half of my brain.
;)

Mitchell Madness said:
freo will either take the league by storm, or completely flunk.

Freo are the masters of "Two steps forward - Three steps back". Any money sees them drop to bottom half of the eight next year.

Ripper said:
The first half was the draw from hell with 3 long haul trips to Tassie & Brisbane with only 6 day breaks (four in the first 5 away games ) after trying to pinch hit with half fit or inexperienced ruckmen most of the time.

I think anyone will agree that Freo had a tough draw in the first half of season 2006, but is a 6 day break the sole reason for your dismal showing aginst Geelong at home??? If that is the case I am happy to apply that logic to our loss against your mob in the second Derby ;).

As already stated Fremantle is not short of quality players, it's the 6 inches between the ears that that will make the difference between success and failure next season. Taking season 2004 into account no one is quite sure what Freo will dish up next year. Assuming their mental attitude is right I think anything less than top 4 would, and should, be viewed as a failure.

Wooshavich said:
I think anyone will agree that Freo had a tough draw in the first half of season 2006, but is a 6 day break the sole reason for your dismal showing aginst Geelong at home???

Dismal day indeed that one. We had however just come off 6 away trips in 11 rounds (3 long haul).

However that loss has grow in stature as time goes on. I wrote at the time that seeing that We had more inside 50's and more shots on goal that game that We would be able to turn it around quickly.

I was proven correct.

BTW, Your lot had a seven day break before the second derby unlike Freo who had to front up for the first Derby six days after playing in Tassie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripper said:
Dismal day indeed that one. We had however just come off 6 away trips in 11 rounds (3 long haul).

However that loss has grow in stature as time goes on. I wrote at the time that seeing that We had more inside 50's and more shots on goal that game that We would be able to turn it around quickly.

I was proven correct.

BTW, Your lot had a seven day break before the second derby unlike Freo who had to front up for the first Derby six days after playing in Tassie.

Yes we had a seven day break before the second Derby, but you guys had eight. And we played our game in 28 degree heat in Brisbane while you played yours on a cool Saturday night. All in all a more than fair comparison I think. Also we are comparing your shocking loss against Geelong here vs our shocking loss against you guys in the 2nd Derby. 1st Derby is irrelevant, fantastic game by the way.

Ripper said:
Lol, ditto. Eagles Supporters have been accusing me of that for years on here. At least come up with something original. :)

With the current long waiting lists in the health system , turning into an arrogant, smug WC fan is out of the question.

;)

Or in your case mod troll - get half a brain put in

upyours.jpg

Bring-Back-Powell said:
I'm tipping 9th-11th at best :rolleyes:

That would be a fairly accurate reading of Melbourne's position in the game a t the moment, thankyou for your input. However most could see with Neitz not getting any better, yze struggling! You where going to finish about there.

Again thankyou for your input

poshman said:
Bring-Back-Powell said:
I'm tipping 9th-11th at best :rolleyes:

That would be a fairly accurate reading of Melbourne's position in the game a t the moment, thankyou for your input. However most could see with Neitz not getting any better, yze struggling! You where going to finish about there.

Again thankyou for your input

Melb would be lucky to have an impact in the finals next year, 'tis true. They'll probably finish 6-8 again I reckon, with Collingwood not making the cut.

Ripper said:

;)

Mmmm, have they really Ripper. You know the saying, "Where there's smoke there's fire". :rolleyes:

So you've been a closet supporter for years!? At least we can't accuse you of jumping on the band wagon when you finally come out of the closet.

BTW, half of nothing is still nothing. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Freo's recent success force supporters not to accept mediocrity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back