FootscrayDogs

Senior List
Sep 6, 2008
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Juventus
Why why why do we keep persisting with him? He does not have a football brain or any outstanding skill to speak of!!! The running over the mark 50 that he gave away, fair dinkum!!!

Please discuss.

Why why why do we keep persisting with him? He does not have a football brain or any outstanding skill to speak of!!! The running over the mark 50 that he gave away, fair dinkum!!!

Please discuss.

Why? You seem to have made up your mind.

Having said that, I don't think I have ever seen Will look so ineffectual out there. He really struggled to get across the ground today.

Why? You seem to have made up your mind.

Having said that, I don't think I have ever seen Will look so ineffectual out there. He really struggled to get across the ground today.

He looked really badly underdone. He'll come good. I'm not his greatest fan but if fit he is definitely our number 2 ruckman. He was apparently pretty ill during the pre season, he may take a few weeks to get up to speed.

There is no need for wholesale changes, we have a very, very good footy side, but Will was absolutely hopeless today and it is not the first time. He is an automatic selection each week for Rocket, he shouldn't be. He needs to go back to the 2's and earn his spot back in the side. Roughead showed he is capable of contributing at least in the NAB cup.

Quote of the week goes to Rocket ... sums up the situation perfectly:

"Is he the dumbest smart bloke in the competition?"

Minson is being criticised because of a couple of errors.

He was given the ball at least twice (I think by Cross both times) when he was not in position to do anything. He was also expected once to gather the ball at his feet against a nimble small opponent. That is not his go.

He did fail to hold a couple of contested grabs but did take 4 marks (Hudson -nil)

His ruck work was fine and so was his follow up. His ball use is also fine, but don't expect him to be the nimble player under pressure.

His walk through the mark was dreadful, but Gary Ablett basically did the same thing in the Geelong Essendon game.

He is way ahead of Roughead at the moment, has come off an interrupted pre-season, but still showed he is a competent ruckman.

Plenty of Bulldog players were below par in Round 1.

He was given the ball at least twice (I think by Cross both times) when he was not in position to do anything. He was also expected once to gather the ball at his feet against a nimble small opponent. That is not his go.

He did fail to hold a couple of contested grabs but did take 4 marks (Hudson -nil)

His ruck work was fine and so was his follow up. His ball use is also fine, but don't expect him to be the nimble player under pressure.

His walk through the mark was dreadful, but Gary Ablett basically did the same thing in the Geelong Essendon game.

He is way ahead of Roughead at the moment, has come off an interrupted pre-season, but still showed he is a competent ruckman.

I've defended him in the past but let's be honest, he was poor today. The number of times he struggled to even get to the ball suggests he is still some way short of match fitness after his interrupted pre-season. I'm not willing to write him off as others are quick to do, but he couldn't afford to play that poorly over thenext two weeks when the opposition rucks will be less talented.

thought Will struggled to get across the ground today. Made some glaring mental errors but he was not along. Considering the problems he's had during the pre-season I'm hoping he just needs some match fitness and a good talking to...

He definitely looked slow out there. And looked to me like he was carrying a little around the midriff (or at least a little more than last year - he's still in decent shape, but he's normally impeccable in that regard)

But i imagine both are because of his interrupted pre-season. Hopefully he'll sort both out in the next few weeks. And he did take some decent marks.

He did a couple of dumb things and can be frustrating but I thought he was about middle of the pack if I was rating the side today.

I did say a few weeks back I'd be surprised if he could come back quickly after losing 8 kg during his illness and if his bench press levels dropped by over a third, as was reported. If those who were at Etihad today are saying he struggled physically perhaps I wasn't so far off the mark?

He's probably still ahead of Roughead but he'll be starting to look over his shoulder...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a case of the Shaun Hampson's about him yesterday, balls bouncing off him left right and center. I don't mind big will but he should always have a small forward crumbing off him if he's going to find himself in the forward 50. Missed two set shots from the exact same spot one after the other.

Pea hearted effort today, looked like it was his first game, no attempt to bend over and pick up the ball in the 3rd qtr, balls bouncing off his chest, fumbling, running through the mark and a lot more!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Big Will needs to take a good hard look at himself, he is very over rated and should consider himself lucky that Roughehad doesn't come into the team next week. Then again, seeing Tigers only have Simmonds and Vicary as thier ruck, we should probably drop Will and bring in Roughy anyway! No more messing around with players who just wont do or cant do the basics!

Pea hearted effort today, looked like it was his first game, no attempt to bend over and pick up the ball in the 3rd qtr, balls bouncing off his chest, fumbling, running through the mark and a lot more!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Not sure pea hearted is the description I would use!

I do agree however he looked desperately slow and in flexible. Lack of flexibility on the run is a sure sign indicator of fatigue, and given his less than ideal preparation it’s probably no surprise. I think he was an automatic selection for this match despite being underdone because it would have been perceived that Collingwood’s rucks would be fairly strong now they have Jolly. Overall I think we easily broke even in that regard.

Personally I’m for Minson playing for Williamstown against Coburg this weekend, let him ruck all day to try and get his match fitness up. Given the state of Richmond’s ruck division I think Roughead could hold his own, plus he’ll get the benefit of some AFL experience.

On the money BJ. He was a far more effective tap ruckman than the much vaunted Woods recruit and was far from our worst (Gia, Hahn, Aker, Hill etc). Running through the mark was ridiculous. One of a number of examples yesterday when Dogs players were ill disciplined.

ok people, now lets be fair dinkum here, do we wanna win the f'n flag or not? If we are serious as a club and supporters as a whole, we simply cannot and will not accept mediocre performances by a player like Will put in and defend him because he is our only other option other than Hudson!!! What if Hudson breaks his leg at training....God help us. I can honestly say that having watched his progress (slow) he has not dominated in the ruck like a bloke his size should. Interrupted pre-season is no excuse, if he's underdone or sick or whatever, dont play him until he's right....simple. We have to stop molly coddling players like him if we are fair dinkum about winning the flag ffs. What happened to the days when you had to earn your spot in the side???

Lets be fair dinkum.
He beat his man in the ruck and around the ground, offered good support in the clinches.

However, he had 3-4 horrendous clangers, mis-judgements, what have you.

The real problem with our ruckman is that neither can play forward. I was amazed to see Eade put Will deep in the forward line again. He is incapable of providing forward pressure and once the ball hits the deck it provides the rebounders time and space to create their own attack without pressure. Surely, now that we have Hall there is no need for Will to be down there.

He is a Ruckman. He could be a good ruckman, maybe a very good ruckman. Unless it sticks in his mitts, he is a liabiity as a forward. The sooner our coaching staff face this fact the better ruckman Will may become and we will lose fewer games.

I would like to see him concentrate on his ruckwork, barging, muscling packs, tackling ferociously and work around the ground supporting his runners. I hate when he gets it in his head that he can kick running goals from 50, baulk opponents, dish out unnecessary don't argues when nimble options are around him and he ignores them. I hate when he or asserts his aggressiveness after the whistle has blown.

He needs to see himself more as a Clark Keating and less as a Peter Moore. As Dermie says "a man needs to know his limitations" and so do the coaching staff.

He'll be better for the run.

Next couple games against a weaker ruck line-up will hopefully boost his self-confidence

Not sure pea hearted is the description I would use!

I do agree however he looked desperately slow and in flexible. Lack of flexibility on the run is a sure sign indicator of fatigue, and given his less than ideal preparation it’s probably no surprise. I think he was an automatic selection for this match despite being underdone because it would have been perceived that Collingwood’s rucks would be fairly strong now they have Jolly. Overall I think we easily broke even in that regard.

Personally I’m for Minson playing for Williamstown against Coburg this weekend, let him ruck all day to try and get his match fitness up. Given the state of Richmond’s ruck division I think Roughead could hold his own, plus he’ll get the benefit of some AFL experience.

Once again as i have said before Rocket keeps playing injured or underdone players that are in is favourite box. Look outside the square Rocket and try something different now and then. Drop him and bring in Roughy, if hes fit! Its only Richmond.

Lets be fair dinkum.
He beat his man in the ruck and around the ground, offered good support in the clinches.

However, he had 3-4 horrendous clangers, mis-judgements, what have you.

The real problem with our ruckman is that neither can play forward. I was amazed to see Eade put Will deep in the forward line again. He is incapable of providing forward pressure and once the ball hits the deck it provides the rebounders time and space to create their own attack without pressure. Surely, now that we have Hall there is no need for Will to be down there.

He is a Ruckman. He could be a good ruckman, maybe a very good ruckman. Unless it sticks in his mitts, he is a liabiity as a forward. The sooner our coaching staff face this fact the better ruckman Will may become and we will lose fewer games.

I would like to see him concentrate on his ruckwork, barging, muscling packs, tackling ferociously and work around the ground supporting his runners. I hate when he gets it in his head that he can kick running goals from 50, baulk opponents, dish out unnecessary don't argues when nimble options are around him and he ignores them. I hate when he or asserts his aggressiveness after the whistle has blown.

He needs to see himself more as a Clark Keating and less as a Peter Moore. As Dermie says "a man needs to know his limitations" and so do the coaching staff.

Finally someone who actually watched the game!!!

Of the four ruckmen (Jolly, Fraser, Minson, Hudson), Minson was by far, BY FAR!!!, the most influential player and provided great bodywork/muscle in the middle, took a couple of nice marks and kicked a goal (and agree with some that he probably should have had 2-3, but in that fact barry missed two easy ones so should he have had 6.0?)

I agree he had a brain fade by running through the mark and thats not acceptable but lets not lynch him for that.. Of his other 3 free kicks given away, one boyd hanballed to him after calling for the ball and running into trouble, so will is excused for that..the other two were ruck infringements on jolley and stats will show frees for minson from jolly =4, frees to jolly from minson =2, so obviously the so called superstar jolley was having some trouble with big will.

Big Will is not a forward, but he is easily our best tap ruckmen (llok at the stats of hitouts to advantage) and in my opinion should focus on ruck and be our number one man..

If any ruckmen deserves riducule for the weekend it was hudson, of whom im a fan of but had a very dissapointing day.

Finally someone who actually watched the game!!!

Of the four ruckmen (Jolly, Fraser, Minson, Hudson), Minson was by far, BY FAR!!!, the most influential player and provided great bodywork/muscle in the middle, took a couple of nice marks and kicked a goal (and agree with some that he probably should have had 2-3, but in that fact barry missed two easy ones so should he have had 6.0?)

I agree he had a brain fade by running through the mark and thats not acceptable but lets not lynch him for that.. Of his other 3 free kicks given away, one boyd hanballed to him after calling for the ball and running into trouble, so will is excused for that..the other two were ruck infringements on jolley and stats will show frees for minson from jolly =4, frees to jolly from minson =2, so obviously the so called superstar jolley was having some trouble with big will.

Big Will is not a forward, but he is easily our best tap ruckmen (llok at the stats of hitouts to advantage) and in my opinion should focus on ruck and be our number one man..

If any ruckmen deserves riducule for the weekend it was hudson, of whom im a fan of but had a very dissapointing day.

Can't agree with your assessment of Hudson. His stoppage work was terrific.
However, his possession rate is always low as he generally knocks the ball out for Boyd/Cross/Cooney.

Will does get more of the ball and generally uses it better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Minson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back