MRP / Trib. Will Powell (GC Suns) Banned for 5 rounds for using a homophobic slur during their loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fine with a suspension in general, a bit of joke he gets more than Finlayson. Did the Integrity Unit say they were upping the penalties?
Hopefully it's the last time we have an offence like this, but if it isn't be prepared for another wildly inconsistent sanction.

You can knock a bloke out and end his career and get nothing. But say the wrong thing in the heat of the moment and they throw the book at you. Sports are intense and in a physical game of Aussie Rules, players will do anything to get a competitive edge. The AFL have gone overboard.

I'm fine with a suspension in general, a bit of joke he gets more than Finlayson. Did the Integrity Unit say they were upping the penalties?
Hopefully it's the last time we have an offence like this, but if it isn't be prepared for another wildly inconsistent sanction.
At the end of the day, the AFL is just another workplace, and language like that would land you in pretty hot water at most other jobs, a lot worse than a 5 week suspension

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if Stephen Tingay was still playing, you wouldn't even be able to call for the ball with these spineless snowflakes running the show!

If its 5 weeks then he probably did go extreme
The mind boggles.

You want to get on your knees and .... then the other thing... then this... and you'll love it... then the whole team... and post it on the net for your mother to see...

Maybe I haven't got a perverted enough imagination, but even filling in the (very ugly) blanks I can't see five weeks. I could certainly see the recipient knocking out 5 teeth and getting a couple of weeks off though

I get the idea of ramping up sanctions as a deterrent, but I'm a bit surprised they went straight to five weeks rather than four, as it gives the AFL less runway to work with going forward. The escalating penalties for this category of behaviour also highlight by way of contrast the ongoing lenient treatment of various physical "non-football" acts that often go uncited, or escape with fines.

I get the sense that the "5 weeks for homophobia, but 1 week for belting someone" crowd don't actually want to increase penalties for belting someone and simply want to deflect.

OK, will try to explain this briefly for those who want to talk about punching someone in the head etc.

When you play a contact sport physical contact is permitted beyond what is permitted out on the street and you consent by playing. If you tackle someone on the street you can be charged with assault, on the footy field it is OK.

That does not mean you consent to being vilified on the field, ie the laws against vilification are not suspended or lessened in a contact sport.

These are not the comparable things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a fun thread.

Anyone that is OK with homophobic slurs on the footy field should probably go and take a look in the mirror.

That said, I agree with the inconsistency around the AFL's sanctioning. Clearly the message here is 'no, this behaviour is not acceptable' (which is completely fine) but why allow blokes like Jesse Hogan off for slipping high with a shove and rub other players out for weeks over words. I completely agree with Billy ray's take as well.

At the end of the day, it's not OK to punch blokes and it's not ok to call people slurs either. I get that players get worked up but 'heat of the moment' isn't a good enough excuse. Get off the field and cool off.

Last edited:
You can knock a bloke out and end his career and get nothing. But say the wrong thing in the heat of the moment and they throw the book at you. Sports are intense and in a physical game of Aussie Rules, players will do anything to get a competitive edge. The AFL have gone overboard.

Do you think Lincoln McCarthy should have been suspended?

I get the sense that the "5 weeks for homophobia, but 1 week for belting someone" crowd don't actually want to increase penalties for belting someone and simply want to deflect.

Probably a lot of them do. Personally I've always found it rather bizarre how lenient the AFL is about non-football, off-the-ball "indiscretions". And the recent escalating penalties for both verbal "non-football" acts such as this, and also particular football acts involving momentary errors in judgement or technique, does make that ongoing leniency look ever more suspect by way of contrast. But I get that it's kind of tangential to the topic at hand. Five weeks for Mr. Powell - OK. Can't nobody say they weren't warned.

I have no issue with gay people or players at all.
If Sheezel or McKercher came out as gay i'd be happy for them.

I was merely questioning the length of suspension compared with injury causing life destroying concussion.
And also the AFLs intentions of not doing this as a token thing and keeping it fair for everyone that breaks the rule.

Pretty dumb comparison.

No player intentionally looks to cause concussion. They happen from what is otherwise a clumsy action, i.e., it was an accidental concussion.

Now can you accidentally say a homophobic slur? Less likely, but it's suppose possible. If it was an accidental slur, the 5 weeks is too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Will Powell (GC Suns) Banned for 5 rounds for using a homophobic slur during their loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back