Will the AFL cooperate with FFA for World Cup bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are deluding yourself mate .

Australia just dosent have the population, support .or money to put on a worthy soccer World Cup event.
The Olympics have done Sydney very little good apart from some great PR for two weeks In fact the tourism numbers have dropped there since 2000 and nowhere near the OS visitors turned up as expected to the Games - ditto World Cup.

As an Australian taxpayer I dont like any government spending MY money favouring any one sport over another like this.
I see moneybags migrant Lowey sucking up to Rudd in Sydney today .He didnt take long to flick his mate Howard. LOL

Oh and by the way if soccer wants bigger rectangle stadiums let them build them with there own money and not bludge off the taxpayers.
Like the MCG and how it was renovated with tax payer money? Or SCG? etc?

The major problem we're going to have is that China are likely to bid for it as well. The rest of Asia will back China, and when you can't get your own confederation to back you, you're stuffed.

Except the head of the AFC has said that he would certainly be happy to back Australia. (google 'AFC' 'bin hamman' 'lowy')

All of you idiots are kidding yourselves if you think the biggest sporting event in the world would not be here because of a sport which is played by 5 million people rather than 5 billion. If all that stands in the way of Australia winning the bid is the AFL, the AFL will be told to get over themselves and rightly so.

Not gonna happen. The soccer associations will gang up so that it gets played in Europe/Latin America, or fifa will coerce them to hold it in a strategic growth location - i.e. Asia. We don't have the population to justify fifa 'wasting' a world cup in this country. It wont happen.

We are a prosperous, western nation, which is extremely sports-dominated and where football (soccer) is NOT the #1 sport. I'd say we are definitely a strategic growth location!

I highly doubt that is the case. FIFA do require that no other sports are played on the venues in the lead up and during the World Cup. I highly doubt the MLB suspended play for 6 weeks back in 1994 for FIFA.

Yep - FIFA require no other sports are played on the stadiums to be used in the World Cup either during the World Cup, or on those stadiums for the four weeks prior to the start of the World Cup.

Considering if the AFL let FIFA take control of their stadiums during their season and suspended their season for 8 weeks (which would basically mean they have to cancel their season) the AFL could effectively sue FIFA for the cost of destroying their code of football.
Effectively, billions.

Can't see how the Government could possibly justify this, any government that facilitated the destruction of our only truly indigenous football game would piss off a lot of voters, and certainly wouldn't get my vote.

How would the State & Federal Police plus the FFA handle this scenario:

FIFA & the Australian World Cup orgainisers (in their wisdom) decides to have a double header on the same ground on the one day-Greece v Turkey to be first, then England v Germany in Melbourne as the 'main event'. What you've got there would be a potential disaster, because there is a lot of history between Greece & Turkey, while the England-Germany game could be an explosive encounter-off the field. Can you imagine the front-page headlines in the Herald Sun the following day if huge trouble erupted from those two games?

They would probably be the same headlines that would occur if trouble DIDN'T erupt from these two games. (ie. they make shit up). The Herald-Sun isn't really known for accuracy or lack of bias when it comes to reporting sports other than AFL.

If they agree to pay the AFL a lot of money (ie. at least the equivalent 2 years full annual turnover) and commit to officially calling their sport Girlyball for the next 10 years, then discussions should be held. Otherwise they can p**s off.

The amusing thing here (and with all the similar comments) is that HighettBomber and the like are of the misguided opinion that the AFL will be the one calling the shots, and that they have the capability to tell FFA/FIFA what to do.

To help people understand...

Imagine the power the AFL has (power = financial backing, media dominance, friends in high places) over the National Basketball League.

If a bid is accepted, that is the kind of power that FIFA (via the federal government) will have over the AFL.

The AFL is used to being the big fish... but they have just been trapped in a fish bowl. They are about to see what the Pacific Ocean looks like.

Precisely. Rather than opposing the World Cup, Australia should embrace it and use the opportunity to expose half of the world's population via TV, to all things Australian, including Aussie Rules games.

The visitors are not going to be watching soccer all the time, and would no doubt want to taste some of Australia's native delicacies, including footy.

On top of that, a million extra visitors to Australia, spending an average of $3,000 is not to be sniffed at. This would be a cool three billion dollars pouring into the Aussie economy.

Tell me about all the German culture you've been exposed to in lieu of the German hosted World Cup in 2006.

Have you rushed out and bought a new pair of lederhosen to show off to your friends?

Yep, didn't think so mate.

Also, just where are they going to play all these football games while the World Cup is on? The stadiums will be embargoed such that the AFL or NRL can't use them!

I am sure that the AFL will record the cheering from the Anzac Day game and let the FFA play it over the sound system to cheer the Socceroos on. :eek:

Of all the things to imply AFL has over real football.. and you choose crowd noise/active support?

You have never been to a Socceroos game in your life have you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking for adequate compensation to AFL and NRL fans.

Any AFL/NRL season ticket/ member holder who has consistently held their memberships for 4 years prior to the world cupto be guaranteed a chance to buy a socceroos match ticket.

Reason being AFL/NRL fans will be compensated for their comps being stopped by being guaranteed a Socceroos match.

Wow, the opportunity to buy a ticket to see one game of guys running around for 80 minutes, more than likely not scoring, as compensation for missing a third of the AFL season. I'll pass thanks.

And how many games will the Socceroos play anyway? You've already got five states and if you take into consideration all members (assuming they accepted your generous offer) the Socceroos would have to be playing a lot of games. (BTW, why is that soccer is now called 'football', yet the Socceroos are still the Socceroos?? Shouldn't they be Footballoos or something??)

Yep - FIFA require no other sports are played on the stadiums to be used in the World Cup either during the World Cup, or on those stadiums for the four weeks prior to the start of the World Cup.

Considering if the AFL let FIFA take control oftheir stadiums during their season and suspended their season for 8 weeks (which would basically mean they have to cancel their season) the AFL could effectively sue FIFA for the cost of destroying their code of football.
Effectively, billions.

Can't see how the Government could possibly justify this, any government that facilitated the destruction of our only truly indigenous football game would piss off a lot of voters, and certainly wouldn't get my vote.

Bahahahahahahhahaaha

Destroying your code of football?

Is the code really so fragile that stopping the season for 5 weeks (the other 3 weeks can be at minor non-WC stadiums) would destroy it?

Billions? 5 weeks of footy is worth billions?

if the AFL let FIFA take control of their stadiums

Oh, and they're not the AFL's stadiums.

Bahahahahahahhahaaha

Destroying your code of football?

Is the code really so fragile that stopping the season for 5 weeks (the other 3 weeks can be at minor non-WC stadiums) would destroy it?

Billions? 5 weeks of footy is worth billions?

Oh, and they're not the AFL's stadiums.

Telstra Dome will be.

And

The other stadiums are for the period between March-September owned by the AFL on weekends. Effectively owned. Or the NRL. They own first rights to them.

2018...no chance in hell. 2022, more likley for the cup to come back to asia. We will then be more likley to be facing off against china. We are not even a blip of FIFA, let alone UEFA's radar at the moment. Excite the world at the next cup and we are an outside chanc. Would have to follow up with and AFC championship win and another good showing in Brazil.

I love aussie rules football and love to take the piss out of my diehard wogball mates at every oppurtunity but in reality im a die hard 'sports fan' and i just cant understand the backward attitude that so many people have to having a world cup here. We have a great product in AFL and it is entrenched in our culture, but dont think that we will ever challenge soccer on a world scale (as much as i dream we could). The money that comes out of the event would need to cover some major infrastructure upgrades though. Most of which the AFL, NRL, ARU and A-league will benefit from in some way.

I know ive already said that we have buckley's ('scuse the pun) of getting it but let's look at this objectivley.

Stadiums first. My understanding of the rule is that if push came to shove, FIFA will allow one or two cities to use two stadiums. You would have to say this would be melbourne and sydney. Many people are right in saying GABBA and SCG are unsuitable. Doesnt matter they wont be used. Stadium allocation should logically fall as follows. Ignore the stuff about MCG being unsuitable. If we get it, it will have games. WC in Oz and no games at the G would be criminal.

MELB: MCG & one of either TD or the new rectangular stadium (assuming it meets capacity standards :confused:)
SYD: ANZ, Sydney Football stadium
BRIS: Suncorp
PERTH: New stadium
ADEL: Must upgrade AAMI stadium to meet fifa regulations or a new stadium will be built. There is movement from the liberal opposition for a multipurpose stadium in the city to be built already. If not Adelaide united have also released plans/dreams/goals for a 45K soccer specific stadium. Basically, a development will occur and SA will be onboard.

Thats seven out of ten that have the appropriate capacity, as well as all of the major cities being accounted for.

Where will the other three come from? Robina/skilled (http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=280) is an option for games on the goldcoast but will need a significant capacity increase. As would canberra stadium (http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=28) which also would need a significant udgrade in terms of undercover seating. My guess at a 10th would again be a majorly uprgaded central coast stadium. We need a major infrastructure upgrade to even give this thing a shake.

Joint bid with NZ??? Not likley. FIFA wouldnt agree and why get involved cross confederation etc. Bit messy for my liking. We got out of oceania to grow and stop being held back. Why step back into those waters? We would use Eden park for three kiwi matches and maybe a second round match/quarter final. Barley worth their contribution if when we can more than likley look after ourselves.

The AFL and NRL would put there season on hold. They wont like it but they will. The AFL could be smart and schedule a few midseason exhibitions (state of origin anyone?) for some international exposure. Where to play is the problem considering the WC venues would need to be left untouched. The road block of european and south american voters is as someone else said, makes the other football codes small fry in the scheme of things.

Other things that stand in our way is the european time zone factor for television. But then again, the good exposure through the rest of asia as well as the fact that the crazy europeans will wake up to watch no matter. Issue negated. China is the major issue when they bring the cup back to our region. Think business decision. Exposure, dollars, politics....weight is with china. However the a-league doing as well as it has done, and hopefully continues to do might encourgage FIFA to see the game grow in Oz and have the A-league become one of the more powerful leagues in the region.

The positive we have over china is that we a probably a more marketable to as tourist destination to the europeans. Then again, it is our winter. :eek:

Nice idea. Unlikley but god i wish it did. Got to be in it to win it though.

Hmm, Subi oval is currently controlled by the AFL/WAFL but by 2018 the new stadium would/should be built by then and would be independently controlled and managed..... So you can guarantee world cup soccer would get the nod over AFL in WA at least.

The rest of the world in football terms barely knows who Australia is. We've made 2 World Cups ever; England and China will both bid who are worth much more in football strategic terms than we are.
And why would the FFA award the World Cup to a footballing minnow with limited football history and who have rival sports who will drag them through the courts when there are bigger countries with existing football infrastructure who will bend over to FIFA's every demand?
Who the **** are South Africa then???:eek:

The AFL is used to being the big fish... but they have just been trapped in a fish bowl. They are about to see what the Pacific Ocean looks like.

Or to use a similar analogy - The AFL is like Wayne Carey;
Used to strutting the streets as the top dog and being able to get away with anything.
Yet once he gets out of Australia - he is shocked to find out that no-one knows or cares who he is.

BTW: I don't believe FIFA have any regulation about other sports having to suspend during the WC (indeed, how could they force other sports to stop) - but they do have a 4 week period before the WC where pitches for WC matches can't be used.
A bit of innovation on behalf of the AFL could see it promoting an 8 week "suburban" period, where matches are played on suburban grounds.

Or to use a similar analogy - The AFL is like Wayne Carey;
Used to strutting the streets as the top dog and being able to get away with anything.
Yet once he gets out of Australia - he is shocked to find out that no-one knows or cares who he is.

BTW: I don't believe FIFA have any regulation about other sports having to suspend during the WC (indeed, how could they force other sports to stop) - but they do have a 4 week period before the WC where pitches for WC matches can't be used.
A bit of innovation on behalf of the AFL could see it promoting an 8 week "suburban" period, where matches are played on suburban grounds.

Can only see the AFL heartland states being affected.

Sydney would use Sydney Football Stadium and/or ANZ Stadium...SCG would still be free, plus that new Blacktown ground would be available too.

In Brisbane, Suncorp Stadium would be used so Gabba and Carrara would be free.

In Melbourne where the MCG and/or Telstra Dome would be used, so VFL standard grounds would have to be used like Princes Park and TEAC Oval.

In Adelaide where AAMI Stadium would be used, try Adelaide Oval.

In Perth where Stadium WA (or whatever it will be called) would be used, try the WACA.

Plus you also got the out of state minor grounds like TIO Stadium in Darwin, Manuka Oval in Canberra, Aurora Stadium in Launceston, Cazaly Park in Cairns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the AFL cooperate with FFA for World Cup bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back