Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but if its the same Adaem Clarke i am thinking of he's about 170cm and 60kg at best and surely that's an issue playing against physically bigger and strenger player's at the national champ's??

Adam Clarke has played most of this season in the seniors at Labrador and played quite well. Bigger bodies in the NEAFL than national champs you would agree.

The AFL seem to have cottoned on to not being hung up about height and weight, if the player is good enough those stats don't matter

Adam Clarke has played most of this season in the seniors at Labrador and played quite well. Bigger bodies in the NEAFL than national champs you would agree.

The AFL seem to have cottoned on to not being hung up about height and weight, if the player is good enough those stats don't matter

Think they do BlackDog still - just that players who do have these "issues" need some sort of x factor generally. I would still argue that if any person feels hard done by by the system here then play a season in Melbourne or SA and test yourself. Would nearly guarantee that any young bloke who does well in either the VFL or SANFL will get a preseason run somewhere with the way the talent pool is being spread these days.

BTW - after watching some of the boys in the 15's carnival last week in Canberra I reckon the 18's from Vic, SA, WA would rival senior football players body shapes! Some of the kids from Vic Metro in particular were massive!

Would he still be getting a game though if Labrador hadn't been smashed by injuries this year?? Haven't they been struggling to fill ressies team some weeks??

Not a bad page with some constructive views and comments. Yes Qld do want players drafted, thats why they plug certain players during the build up to the Nationals and during.
What they dont do is create a team environment where players will play for players. I would have thought by winning the team gets noticed, and if an individual performs then he gets noticed. Not have a game plan that revolves around 2 or 3 players just to make them look good.
Players want a team environment.........and they want to win. I disagree with B grade players up here........with the right coaching, and better preperation they can mix it with the southern states

Not a bad page with some constructive views and comments. Yes Qld do want players drafted, thats why they plug certain players during the build up to the Nationals and during.
What they dont do is create a team environment where players will play for players. I would have thought by winning the team gets noticed, and if an individual performs then he gets noticed. Not have a game plan that revolves around 2 or 3 players just to make them look good.
Players want a team environment.........and they want to win. I disagree with B grade players up here........with the right coaching, and better preperation they can mix it with the southern states

What evidence do you have for this Brisvegas - have Qld EVER beaten Victoria(who is split in 2 mind you), Sth Aust or WA at U18 level or even 16's when they get the chance to play them? They are miles off the pace of any of these states and we are kidding ourselves if we don't believe this. We play the odd TAC side and are competitive - thats no great feat.

I'm sorry I used the term B-grade - wasn't meant to be derogatory but not sure how else you put it. Bottom line is, the best athletes don't automatically gravitate to AFL footy in Qld bc of the competition with other codes which southern states don't have to contend with. Hence we recruit them thru talent ID programs etc.
For a state that has this situation i actually think we compete above our weight division most of the time although recent 18's champs have been disappointing.

[/b]

What evidence do you have for this Brisvegas - have Qld EVER beaten Victoria(who is split in 2 mind you), Sth Aust or WA at U18 level or even 16's when they get the chance to play them? They are miles off the pace of any of these states and we are kidding ourselves if we don't believe this. We play the odd TAC side and are competitive - thats no great feat.

I'm sorry I used the term B-grade - wasn't meant to be derogatory but not sure how else you put it. Bottom line is, the best athletes don't automatically gravitate to AFL footy in Qld bc of the competition with other codes which southern states don't have to contend with. Hence we recruit them thru talent ID programs etc.
For a state that has this situation i actually think we compete above our weight division most of the time although recent 18's champs have been disappointing.
As the thread says......Will the best footballers be selected for Qld U18s....and this year once again they were not.

As the thread says......Will the best footballers be selected for Qld U18s....and this year once again they were not. Ill indicate one player that should not have been in the side, and his performance up forward during the Nationals verifies the comment......Father son to Collingwood. Others were left out so this one could play......what message does that give to a team of kids when they see he is underperforming (dud in there words) but continues to get a game ahead of others......and he wasnt alone in under acheiving players touted to be the guns...........How many metions did 17yr old Boston get..........or top possesion getter Overington Vs NT. None cause they didnt want them looked at this year......they beat up the ones they want drafted and play them no matter what
As for the Qld system........until they work out winning will get more players drafted.......they will continue to underperform and have bugger all picked up.......next year will be one of the best sides they put on the field for a long time so lets just see how they get prepared, and how they get handled.
I think they should select a squad of 30 and create a team starting mid Nov and stick with it..

Not disagreeing with you there - in fact was lucky enough to be involved with a couple of rep sides this year and said exactly the same message BUT at 18's level those closest to the coalface already know which boys are being genuinely looked at and which aren't before the carnival begins. Yes, there will be the odd boy that jumps out of the box but not too many these days.

It stands to reason that they will give certain boys a leg up to achieve this. Now if that is at the expense of others so be it I say - no other team sport has as many players in a team in Australia - if you can't get in the best 22 in Aussie Rules ie you are flirting around the player 18-22 mark, then realistically you aren't going to be looked at this year anyway.

This years side was no doubt average not because a couple of boys (on the opinion of those from the outside and players themselves) didn't play but bc the group was average!

Next year will be the best group for a while - in what is expected to be a pretty skinny draft in 2012 it may just be the best opportunity for a few Qld lads to get drafted. :)

BTW - I would take it easy on naming and shaming specific boys who in your opinion weren't up to it or got a free ride. Not exactly their fault is it and remember it is just your opinion which i'm sure has been proven to be wrong at different times re footballers....

BTW - I would take it easy on naming and shaming specific boys who in your opinion weren't up to it or got a free ride. Not exactly their fault is it and remember it is just your opinion which i'm sure has been proven to be wrong at different times re footballers....
point taken and deleted......my comments

Next year will be the best group for a while - in what is expected to be a pretty skinny draft in 2012 it may just be the best opportunity for a few Qld lads to get drafted. :)

I thought this years draft was said to be skinny, with next years being spoken of as potentially another "superdraft"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been told this years (2011) is not great and next years worse for talent BV. Obviously revolves around what the talent is like in the southern states so it may be a great opportunity for some Qld lads to get a look in as it is one thing we agree on that next years Qld group should be very good:)

Re potential draftees from this years group, Sexton already going to Suns as Zone pick. Any word on any other potential zone selections?
From AFL site it seems Yagmoor going to draft combine and several others to state screening in Melbourne - Wrigley, Zorko, Bell, Fields, Michael, Thurlow and Starcevich. As not all names released yet on site, but boys no doubt told a while ago, anyone heard if any other 18's been invited? eg ? Allen

One season draws to a close and a new preseason begins.
I understand invitations have gone out for screening days in Oct to select the under 18 training squads for next year. I presume the program will be similar to the new one for this years team, although there may be some slight changes given that the 16 year olds this year who will be bottom agers next year are part of the lions academy (as they are the first age group eligible for the lions preferential drafting) whereas the older boys aren't. Depends on how much involvement the lions academy staff want with their boys I guess as to how much their program interacts with the state 18s program. I guess will all become clear when the squads are announced and they start training - mid - late nov start last year so presumably similar this year. Presumably will hear about coaching staff for next year around then as well.

One season draws to a close and a new preseason begins.
I understand invitations have gone out for screening days in Oct to select the under 18 training squads for next year. I presume the program will be similar to the new one for this years team, although there may be some slight changes given that the 16 year olds this year who will be bottom agers next year are part of the lions academy (as they are the first age group eligible for the lions preferential drafting) whereas the older boys aren't. Depends on how much involvement the lions academy staff want with their boys I guess as to how much their program interacts with the state 18s program. I guess will all become clear when the squads are announced and they start training - mid - late nov start last year so presumably similar this year. Presumably will hear about coaching staff for next year around then as well.
qld kids have improved

o name a fewsmy103 you sound like a bitter parent you think your kid should have made it so you would like to blame coaches .to say 2012 draft is weak is a joke tell me what year has a kid been picked as no1 14 months out also qld bet vic u15 and wa2s in2009 out of that side 15 boys have played in the neafl comp all aust kids sexton micheal ives oates burke allen just t0 name a few

o name a fewsmy103 you sound like a bitter parent you think your kid should have made it so you would like to blame coaches .to say 2012 draft is weak is a joke tell me what year has a kid been picked as no1 14 months out also qld bet vic u15 and wa2s in2009 out of that side 15 boys have played in the neafl comp all aust kids sexton micheal ives oates burke allen just t0 name a few

Maybe have a crack at some punctuation champ. This is harder to read than doctor's writing! Maybe after you type it, read it out loud to yourself, and if there are numbers in the words, that is normally not quite right.

IS this written in code???

And if you cared to read you dill, I said 2012 Qld U18 team will be one of the best we have had for a long while based on previous results as 15 and 16 yr olds. I am under the impression that it will be a pretty skinny draft in 2012 (others are saying it won't be) hence it will give Qld kids a lot better chance of getting drafted. Phew.. Comprehension not a strong point or just a sensitive 17yr old?

Have been told this years (2011) is not great and next years worse for talent BV. Obviously revolves around what the talent is like in the southern states so it may be a great opportunity for some Qld lads to get a look in as it is one thing we agree on that next years Qld group should be very good:)

sorry smy.......meant 2011 will be a biggy only because GWS grabbing whats available not nessesarally that its a good bunch.......beleive next years U18s will have a few extra as real chances from Qld if most of them continue to grow and develop

who can pick the 2012qld u18s state side have ago see how close we can get
\
Heres a few I reckon will be starters.......add and delete as you see better options

conway(17)
tickner(17)
broome
wagner
oates
paulke
davidson
overington
crook
ives
cameron
bourke
boston
brennan
Out of this bunch alone......AFLQ will splash the media with ives, broome and cameron.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back