Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Heres a few I reckon will be starters.......add and delete as you see better options

conway(17)
tickner(17)
broome
wagner
oates
paulke
davidson
overington
crook
ives
cameron
bourke
boston
brennan
Out of this bunch alone......AFLQ will splash the media with ives, broome and cameron.....
Dont know the potential 17 year olds well enough so wont comment on them

Smith, Haberfield and Wyld in squad at stages this year as bottomagers and all played in state 16's year before - each played limited games this year because of joining squad late or injury - so could be a chance. Hopkins also in squad early this year but then dropped out- ? reason.

Freeman also in state 16 in 2010, few top up games with Lions later in season this year and good size so in the mix.

In terms of overage players (usually a couple) Wallin and Bain possible as in the mix this year but then injured prior to state games. Wallin missed large part of season and only came back for last month or so, so might be given opportunity again next year. Bain had injury early in season and also born oct so could be in the mix again this year

Dont know the potential 17 year olds well enough so wont comment on them

Smith, Haberfield and Wyld in squad at stages this year as bottomagers and all played in state 16's year before - each played limited games this year because of joining squad late or injury - so could be a chance. Hopkins also in squad early this year but then dropped out- ? reason.

Freeman also in state 16 in 2010, few top up games with Lions later in season this year and good size so in the mix.

In terms of overage players (usually a couple) Wallin and Bain possible as in the mix this year but then injured prior to state games. Wallin missed large part of season and only came back for last month or so, so might be given opportunity again next year. Bain had injury early in season and also born oct so could be in the mix again this year
agree......wyld and freeman........not sure if they will go overaged this year as theres a few more underaged players they will want to also try.....they love Rutledge(17) so hes probably a certain with the other 2 17s mentioned. 1 in AIS and the other got MVP in the 16s so youd think they are def starters. I reckon there will be a few of the 2010 U16 wont get in......1 didnt play this year at all, and another more interested in rugby, and a few maybe not quite there yet

Tickner an All Aust 16 this year so would have to be a great certainty to play 18's next yr you would think. Some good players in that lot. Is definitely the year I reckon in 2012 and hopefully it does come to fruition.

Tickner an All Aust 16 this year so would have to be a great certainty to play 18's next yr you would think. Some good players in that lot. Is definitely the year I reckon in 2012 and hopefully it does come to fruition.
what no talk about overington kid had most of the ball in the games he played

he is my side overington,ives,brown,bull,brennan,smith,broome,cameron,tickner,watts,boston ,davidson,m,freeman,crooks,bourke,stow,haberfield,wardle,wyld,brimble,edwards,paulke,wagner,daye,0ates that is my pick see how close

what no talk about overington kid had most of the ball in the games he played
Overington listed in brisvegas original squad - no doubt in - his inside ballwinning needed.

Re your squad, all names in the mix. Howver, even though im not as familiar with this years 16's, I suspect there may be a couple more of them in as underagers next year and a couple less of the boys who played 16's last year?

Re the comment about who AFLQ will focus on in the media (agree seem to like to focus on a few individuals each year) a few extra choices this time - as well as the 3 mentioned they have Bourke (AIS and potential father son so will be high profile) and Tickner in AIS as well

Does Bourke get 2 yrs at 18's now or just the one? Is it only 16's that the age relaxation is allowed?
bourke was allowed to play because he is born late november and has only played the games for 3 years prior to this year, in saying that he will only need 1 year of 18s. big question who will be the 18s coaches this year?

Yeah there was few boys in the initial squad who were overage - there was a limit though as to how many could be picked in the final 16's squad. Was just wondering if this "rule" followed through to U18 footy as well bc NT have the relaxation don't they? One year at U18's then you are saying. Cheers

Yeah there was few boys in the initial squad who were overage - there was a limit though as to how many could be picked in the final 16's squad. Was just wondering if this "rule" followed through to U18 footy as well bc NT have the relaxation don't they? One year at U18's then you are saying. Cheers
Maybe overaged kids born late in the year and injured last year may get a look in........reckon recently retired Morningside and MtGravatt coaches would be an interesting selection......even temp use the NT Thunder bloke heading this way.......as long as a coach can get the best from the kids thats all they can ask.....and get a winning culture happening

As below, after a screening session on weekend at Churchie the Brisbane Lions region squad to do preseason training over the next few months named. Presumably the Gold Coast Suns squad (Coast/country) will be named soon as well?

Program seems might be slightly changed to last year, at least at the preseason training stage, with more involvement of the Lions Academy with the brisbane group this year - last year the coast group used Suns facilities, staff etc as I understand it, but Brisbane group largely worked with AFLQ staff / coaches and used churchie gym predominantly. Seems will be different this year.

I guess once the we get to the stage a state squad is selected next year the academies will be less involved and hand over to the coaching team - not named as yet as far as im aware. Sugestion that for the younger boys who dont make the state squad as bottom agers next year , they will continue on in an under 17 Lions academy group in 2012.

Squad of 50 had quite a few overage players (mixture of some who were injured last year and others who are relatively new to AFL - ie only been playing a few years) - presumably only a couple could actually get to the final squad stage. Also a reasonably number of bottom agers, many of whom presumably have been earmarked for the under 17 academy group next year as they wont all be in the mix for final selection next year.

Couple of names missing - not playing or training with the coast squad (or the Suns like a 6 or so did last preseason?)

AFLQ & LIONS ACADEMY SQUAD NAMED

On the back of changes to the structure of the Under 18 talent program in 2009, AFL Queensland and the Hyundai Brisbane Lions Academy recently ran a successful ‘testing & screening’ day for invited 17 – 19 yr olds with over 60 players participating to finalise a ‘development squad’ of players who will now train over summer in preparation for possible selection in the QLD Scorpions State Under 18 Program.

When considering players for the initial invitation and subsequent training squad selection a number of factors are taken into consideration including (but not limited to): skill level, game sense / knowledge, fitness levels, attitude and work ethic and ability to follow instructions.

The players that haven’t chosen in the training squad are strongly encouraged to continue training hard over summer back at your respective senior clubs and the Under 18 program staff will liaise your club coaches / football managers staff to monitor you progress.

Players outside of the training squad may be invited in to join the squad at a later date if they consistently demonstrate the required characteristics and abilities at club level over summer.

Those players that have been selected in the training squad below will be required to commit to training a minimum 3 sessions a week as a group commencing in the first week of November as well as doing gym work in their own time. Failure to meet these requirements may result in players being removed from the training group at any stage.

The players named below along with at least parent / guardian are required to attend a compulsory “Orientation Session” on Monday 31st October at the Gabba starting at 6:00pm.

During this session the training program, coaches & staff and expectations required will be outlined in more detail. Please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by emailing or calling Robbie Hull at AFLQ on rhull@aflq.com.u or ph: 3033 5405
Isaac Conway
Dan Poultney
Lewis Radford
Jono Skippen
Lachlan Niland-Rowe
Lachlan Dignan
Zac Southern
Sam Moyle
Alex Hall
Blake Gambale
Aden Rutledge
Dylan Bresnehan
Cain Tickner
Monty Reeves
Nathan Newcastle
Joe Wilson
Jordan Bain
Brad Lewis
Jesse Wallin
Josh Wagner
Ryan Johnson
Brock Paulke
Nick Davidson
Shaun Crook
Jackson Gray
Aliir Aliir
Spencer Greville
Josh Smith
Bill Pendlebury
Luke Rogerson
Sam Gribble
Jono Freeman
Sam Henry
Sam Cabrera
Ryan Major
Sam Daff
Tyrone Brimble
Haydn Smoothy
Clay Cameron
James O’Donnell
Jordan Bourke
Matthew Edwards
Michael Wyld
Rhys Power
James Ives
Daniel Affleck
Daniel Brown
Daniel Daye
Luke Glastonbury
Tom Overington

Thats good FootyMaad - thanks.
Not sure there is an Academy program for 17's - from my understanding it goes as far as 16's? Anyone know for sure?
Only went to 16 this year as the boys 16 this year are the first age group that will be eligible for the new zone draft rules for the Lions in a couple of years after GC and GWS concessions finish.
As that group will be 17 next year, this presumably is why the Lions Academy is more involved with the 17/18 year olds next year, at least in the preseason training stage. Hopefully will allow access to their facilities - last year preseason gym work was done in venues presumably hired by AFLQ, while on coast the boys training down there did have access to the Suns facilities as i understand it
I understand the idea of an under 17 Academy group next year was mentioned at the screening day by Lions Academy staff- nothing Ive seen in writing yet, presumably still being finalised, to keep the 17 year olds next year who dont make the state team in some form of Academy training program in preparation for the following year. Other states do have u17 academies so might work ok?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was told that they will stop at 16's FM but might have changed.
Anyone miss out in that list that might have been expected? A few SC boys which is good!:)

I was told that they will stop at 16's FM but might have changed.
Anyone miss out in that list that might have been expected? A few SC boys which is good!:)

Brian Coleman-broome, morningside junior, AIS particpant, played last year as a 17 year old yet misses out on the brisbane squad. Attitude problems?

Brian Coleman-broome, morningside junior, AIS particpant, played last year as a 17 year old yet misses out on the brisbane squad. Attitude problems?
Possible, but could also be doing preseason training with suns as about 6 of the top 18 year olds did last summer ( given Suns ability to prelist qld boys again next year) or moving to play elsewhere next year??

Brisbane / north coast / darling downs squad of 50 start preseason training this Wednesday. Anyone know what's happening with the gold coast / country squad which is presumably linked to the suns academy. Have they named a squad / started training yet?
Any word on the coaching staff for the qld team for next year?

Brisbane / north coast / darling downs squad of 50 start preseason training this Wednesday. Anyone know what's happening with the gold coast / country squad which is presumably linked to the suns academy. Have they named a squad / started training yet?
Any word on the coaching staff for the qld team for next year?

anyone know the whereabouts of Jock Oates not on the Brisbane List..........is he now part of the Gold Coast being originaly from up bush

Pretty poor form on kids and parents behalf given AFLQ has piad towards his scholarship at churchie i was told.
I would have thought a commitment would be in place.
Hope he hasn`t buggered it up for any other talented country kids.

Pretty poor form on kids and parents behalf given AFLQ has piad towards his scholarship at churchie i was told.
I would have thought a commitment would be in place.
Hope he hasn`t buggered it up for any other talented country kids.

Agree WT but I suppose you can't force a kid to enjoy a sport. Think it should be a lesson for the Lions though - no issues with relocating kids but why send them to a damn expensive private school. There are other schools in Brisbane aren't there?

Agree WT but I suppose you can't force a kid to enjoy a sport. Think it should be a lesson for the Lions though - no issues with relocating kids but why send them to a damn expensive private school. There are other schools in Brisbane aren't there?
I guess some scholarships will lead to potential draftees, some to good local league players but like all boys of this age some will move out of footy to other interests. For country boys i guess it needs to be a school with boarding facilities who wants to take in afl players and let them play afl and not try to turn them into rugby players for their first 15.
Yagmoor a clear success of this system, Nandy wasnt, seems like Oats may not be. I think Ives is a scholarship holder as well - we will see how he goes this year. Don't know who else have been scholarship holders over last few years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back